Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V-8 rear spring rate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I am working on combining my 165 and 200 lb springs. I am running the 165 lb set now and the ride is much better, however theres not much travel left after raising up the perches about 3". I have short bump stops and do hit them from time to time. I was looking at combining the two springs, I would use about 3" of the 200s. I would connect them by welding two upper spring perches/retainers together after cutting them leaving just the spring channels. They will hold the two springs in place. Any thoughts, experiences ?
messix
just by real progreesives. your not going to get what you think you will with the contraption that your trying to build.
drive-ability
QUOTE(messix @ Dec 1 2006, 07:44 PM) *

just by real progreesives. your not going to get what you think you will with the contraption that your trying to build.

( Contraption Ha Ha Ha )
I understand what you mean and surely your right, My wording of the post was incorrect. My thoughts were by using the 200 lb springs I would bottom out / land on them in Lu of the bump stops. My thoughts were the 200 lb spring would have some give to it. I estimate 3/4" to 1" of travel at the 200 lb rate when the 165s are compressed.
Aaron Cox
if you step up to a threaded collar setup.. it allows you to run 2.5" ID springs.. which are the 'racer type' spring. available in ANY rate really in like 10 lb increments... and cheap too. 50 ish a spring new.

with this setup.. you now have cornerbalancing ability, and infinite ride height adjustments....

and you can do a combo of two springs if you needed too....

FWIW - i run 225 lb springs on bilsteins with colemanracing.com threaded perches....

Dave_Darling
Welding the springs will destroy their heat treat/temper. They will be much more likely to break once you do that.

I agree with Aaron--just get the springs you want instead of trying to fake them up.

--DD
drive-ability
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 1 2006, 10:55 PM) *

Welding the springs will destroy their heat treat/temper. They will be much more likely to break once you do that.

I agree with Aaron--just get the springs you want instead of trying to fake them up.

--DD

Well,
Surely using a threaded collar is a good way to go. I'll see how the setup works since it easy to do. Oh, I wouldn't think of welding the springs together, I made a two sided perch which centers/secures the two springs together. Hey I just like making the parts. If they work well great, if not they get tossed and I get the aforementioned ones. driving.gif
lybones
From the looks of your pic, the front might be a little too raked down or the back isn't low enough. Perhaps there is too much load on the front so the back isn't working as it should. I too am running 165 progressive springs in the back and have been toying with the ride angle. My car will ride like a box of rocks if the front is down much lower than the back, like your car pic. I have bilstein rear shocks and have created a 1/2" add-on collar tacked to the original washer looking collar to raise the the back up a little more since it's already at the top ring. My teener handles much better when the botton "plane" of the whole car is almost leveled. I still need to corner balance the car to get it 50/50. Good luck with your spring project, though. wink.gif I hope my .02 helps.
marks914
Heres a crazy idea:

Try 180s

Also remember, when you cut the springs they get stiffer.

Mark
drive-ability
QUOTE(lybones @ Dec 2 2006, 02:38 AM) *

From the looks of your pic, the front might be a little too raked down or the back isn't low enough. Perhaps there is too much load on the front so the back isn't working as it should. I too am running 165 progressive springs in the back and have been toying with the ride angle. My car will ride like a box of rocks if the front is down much lower than the back, like your car pic. I have bilstein rear shocks and have created a 1/2" add-on collar tacked to the original washer looking collar to raise the the back up a little more since it's already at the top ring. My teener handles much better when the botton "plane" of the whole car is almost leveled. I still need to corner balance the car to get it 50/50. Good luck with your spring project, though. wink.gif I hope my .02 helps.

Great to see your car running, it looks like it's a blast to drive. I like the video's that always gives us a better perspective. I have raised the rear since the picture was taken and your so right about the front end having to be at a reasonable hight. I am convinced the secret of making V8 cars run smooth is to soften up the front end. Ether by softer springs/TBs and or shock valving. I did the same thing with my rear spring plates it works well but coil-over / adjustable type is likely the best way. Using 165 springs for me is the answer however I need a longer set to get back the 2 inches of travel lost with the larger spacer. I hated my car when I first got it running, 200lb rear springs, hard bushings etc. Now it drives much nicer and as I said there is room for improvement up front. I think I will look into the 2 1/2 inch springs and a adjustable coil-over setup.
lybones

Great to see your car running, it looks like it's a blast to drive. I like the video's that always gives us a better perspective. I have raised the rear since the picture was taken and your so right about the front end having to be at a reasonable hight. I am convinced the secret of making V8 cars run smooth is to soften up the front end. Ether by softer springs/TBs and or shock valving. I did the same thing with my rear spring plates it works well but coil-over / adjustable type is likely the best way. Using 165 springs for me is the answer however I need a longer set to get back the 2 inches of travel lost with the larger spacer. I hated my car when I first got it running, 200lb rear springs, hard bushings etc. Now it drives much nicer and as I said there is room for improvement up front. I think I will look into the 2 1/2 inch springs and a adjustable coil-over setup.
[/quote]

I took the car for a drive on Ortega Highway today and the man, it just reminds me why I love 914's so much. It handles like a slot car. I would also like to have a coilover over setup like Aarons car on day. Seems like a good deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.