Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 25 hours of Thunderhill, race is over
Tom A
post Dec 6 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,326

Team Kumho/BiggsB/Miller checking in. In no particular order:

The tires were standard 710s. They rocked. First time I ever raced on anything other than Toyos, and I can't believe how much better they are.

The right front took 7.5 hours before it started to fall apart. You can see photos of the RF tire that started to delaminate here:
http://images.miller-motorsports.com/Defau...r=2006%5F25hour
Even with the tire coming apart, the car was still turning 02:12s.

Our budget was WELL under Brad's estimate.
Even if we added in the cost of the car we would still be well under Brad's estimate.

I haven't got the total from the car owner yet, but we were expecting it to be under $1500 per driver for 4 drivers. One driver doesn't have to pay because he is the one who came through with the tire sponsorship. Using Tire Rack prices, the tires (710s plus Victoracers) are worth ~$3200. Without the Kumho deal, we would have run Toyos, and probably had 3 sets, 2 sets of drys and one of rains, same as we ran last year.

I don't know if was the same this year, but last year they were very strict on the "no rookie" thing. One of our guys ended up running to Buttonwillow to run a 4 race weekend just to make sure he had the 8 races covered.

Do 914s really turn 2:25s? 1.7 914s are SCCA ITC cars, and the SFR ITC class runs 2:16-17 over the top of T5. I would think 2:17-18 is well in reach for a well sorted 914 running an endurance pace with the bypass.

Then again, a ITC car would run in E3 class in the 25, so if you would have entered this year, you would have won your class. No E3 cars entered this year, only 3 entered last year.

Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 6 2006, 08:45 PM
Post #82

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Even if we added in the cost of the car we would still be well under Brad's estimate.

We qualified our car last year on the outside of POLE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) it runs a just a little more to run a 993 Porsche than it does a Miata..LOL

(IMG:http://www.mindovermotorsports.com/pics/shop993/images/120320052053440304.jpg)

How far off pace was your best driver compared to the best time for a Miata at THILL?? in that config?

B
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 6 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #83

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

Do 914s really turn 2:25s? 1.7 914s are SCCA ITC cars, and the SFR ITC class runs 2:16-17 over the top of T5. I would think 2:17-18 is well in reach for a well sorted 914 running an endurance pace with the bypass.

Then again, a ITC car would run in E3 class in the 25, so if you would have entered this year, you would have won your class. No E3 cars entered this year, only 3 entered last year.

Tom

unfortunately, yes -- an ITC 1.7 914 (about 65 hp to the rear wheels; weight of 2100lbs with driver) would turn 2,25's over the top, maybe 2,20's (at best) with the bypass. if we can run in E3 with a lower weight, then there's hope for more, but still... it's that slow. significantly slower than other ITC cars i've ridden in (CRX; 510). there should be no need to lift going into 1.

congrats on your race!
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Dec 6 2006, 09:27 PM
Post #84

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 6 2006, 06:45 PM) *

We qualified our car last year on the outside of POLE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) it runs a just a little more to run a 993 Porsche than it does a Miata..LOL

(IMG:http://www.mindovermotorsports.com/pics/shop993/images/120320052053440304.jpg)

How far off pace was your best driver compared to the best time for a Miata at THILL?? in that config?

B

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

That's our M3 right behind you!
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 6 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #85

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 6 2006, 03:11 PM) *

And I say we park the car at night and all go into town for dinner and a movie and sleep in a nice WARM room and bed, then come out the next morning and start running again.

hell no! that's not an endurance race -- the idea is to survive, not kick back with HBO!

how many do we have that ARE licensed or COULD COMMIT to being lisensed for december 2007?

i could commit if they'd take me (IKF shifter license, and I'd be happy to rent a ride in a race to demonstrate comfort and competency as brad suggested-- but there's no way i can run 8 nasa races next year and keep up with my karting schedule). Brad? Grant? Bill? Randal?
+Quote Post
Tom A
post Dec 6 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #86

Our best time was a 2:08.526. Last time NASA raced there, the pole was 2:07.2 by Dave Vodden (the CEO of Thunderhill) on Toyos, I believe. It isn't really apples to apples though, his car has a built engine, and ours came from a junkyard. Plus, it's his track (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 6 2006, 07:27 PM) *

That's our M3 right behind you!
Our RX7 was only 22 rows behind you. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 6 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #87

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Thanks for posting, Tom.

It was great watching your team race.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

KT
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 7 2006, 01:14 AM
Post #88

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Dec 6 2006, 03:28 PM) *

Betim sent me a TXT this morning..

Told me to let the forum know that HIS shop prepped the GT3Cup car prior to the event (this is how he paid for his seat in the car)

Obviously a little birdy watching this thread told him we were "chatting" about him.

B

wasnt me. i havent talked to betim since before baja when i spent the day helping prepare a car that got smashed... that was a bummer.

2 weeks after being tossed around in a class one baja crashed at 120 mph the kid goes out and wins the 25 hour in a car he prepared.

Betim is a really good guy and I hang out with him as often as I can.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Dec 7 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #89

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

BTW, I know whats in the old FLM car. Its packed with GT3 R shit and its a quick car. It won 24 hours of daytona back in 03 when they first built it I think. 160k sounds fair to rebuild it, but i doubt its worth that now. Old cup cars go for under 100k with a used motor.
+Quote Post
Tom A
post Dec 7 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #90

Yeah, but it doesn't have to cost that much more. Look at the Lost N Spaced guys, they had an RV, (maybe 2) and an enclosed trailer. They had a 911 SC on jackstands to rob parts from if they needed to. They were running ES class, so they needed more pit equipment than a car running E0 or below, but I would be surprised if they spent $20K.

We had one RV that belonged to one of our volunteer crew, one rented RV, one Horse trailer that one of the crew guys borrowed. We had a few EZ-Ups. We used 2 open trailers, one parts car that belongs to one of the drivers. We brought the regular spares you would bring for a standard SM race weekend, plus a spare tranny and rear end. We took the same tools that go to each race, plus an extra air compressor, air tools and a welder. We burned ~160 gallons of gas ($640), and 4 or 5 quarts of oil.

A group of 914 guys could put together an effort pretty easily, pooling resources you probably already have and probably keep costs down to ~$5000, maybe less depending on how much you want to spend on crew comfort.

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 6 2006, 07:21 PM) *

unfortunately, yes -- an ITC 1.7 914 (about 65 hp to the rear wheels; weight of 2100lbs with driver) would turn 2,25's over the top, maybe 2,20's (at best) with the bypass. if we can run in E3 with a lower weight, then there's hope for more, but still... it's that slow. significantly slower than other ITC cars i've ridden in (CRX; 510). there should be no need to lift going into 1.
The Honda Fit that ran E3 last year was turning laps in the low 2:20s, they turned 546 laps, which was good enough for 26th place overall and second in class behind a Rabbit GTI Cup/ITB car. 546 laps this year would be about the same place overall, but first in class unopposed.

congrats on your race!
Thanks, it was a lot of fun.

Tom

+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Dec 7 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #91

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

QUOTE(Tom A @ Dec 7 2006, 01:01 PM) *
546 laps this year would be about the same place overall, but first in class unopposed.

So we really should be getting two (or more?) 914s ready for next year so we can claim we swept the class!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Tom A
post Dec 7 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #92

QUOTE(mudfoot76 @ Dec 7 2006, 10:30 AM) *

So we really should be getting two (or more?) 914s ready for next year so we can claim we swept the class!
Get three, then do a formation finish. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tom
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 7 2006, 03:36 PM
Post #93

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413

Get three, then do a formation finish

Oh yes!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge24.gif)

Attached Image

KT
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 7 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #94

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Yeah, but it doesn't have to cost that much more. Look at the Lost N Spaced guys, they had an RV, (maybe 2) and an enclosed trailer. They had a 911 SC on jackstands to rob parts from if they needed to. They were running ES class, so they needed more pit equipment than a car running E0 or below, but I would be surprised if they spent $20K.

I hear you Tom. I have been involved with 3 different teams up until this year. In 05 I cooridinated about 90% of the effort. Of course it can be done cheaper, but trying to coordinate and get everything from San Diego costs money.

The LNS guy's are coming from the bay area.. they dont have to bring the shop with them like we do. If they break something.. they "CAN" quit and be home within 2.5 hours. We break something.. and quit.. we wont be home for another 14 hours.

No matter how we spin it.. the LNS guy's have it DOWN.

B
+Quote Post

5 Pages V « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 12:11 AM