Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dealing with getting older - NOT, The mind is willing.....
Pat Garvey
post Dec 6 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I'll be 60 in 3 months. Bought my 914 new in '72 (I was 25). Other than factory-required maintenance for warranty, have done everything myself.

When the car needed to be repainted in '79, I pulled everything from the car & delivered a tub to the painter. When the heads needed to be re-valved, pulled the motor, etc. ...all those other things through the years too.

Now, I'm simply trying to drain the fuel tank & remove the motor/trans. Something i used to do in 30 minutes!!

My knees won't cooperate & my bach scream to quit! Even with dorky kneepads on, they scream!! Can't wait until the motor has to come out!

Am I the ONLY one who's ageing here?

No - I won't farm the work out. If I can't through it, the 914 goes (after 34 years?).

Any secrect potions out there?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Dec 6 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

plan a BBQ and let some of the younger guys do the hard work for ya while you flip the burgers
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 6 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #3

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Aleeve (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Even though you can be a cantacerous PITA, I would come out and help you if you need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously, Aleeve is pretty good for the older/rhumatizm crowd.
+Quote Post
904svo
post Dec 6 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #4

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

I'm 65 and build a 904 kit car using a rusted out 914 as the parts car. I'm
slow getting thing done but I know that it going to be done right! My son can't
wait for me to get it done, he thinks he's going to drive it, the joke on him as
long as I can get this tired and acking body in it I'm going to drive it.

I plan to drive it as long as the good lord will let me. In the mean time I'm enjoying myself as much as I can work on the car to get it to suit me.

I keep a bottle of asprin and a good shot of the good stuff handy to take
care of the other problems.

Keep the car and enjoy working on it as long as you can.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 6 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #5

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Pat, I don't know what your scedule is, but I have some time off between xmas and New Years. I'd be willing to come east one day to help if you have time off too.

Zach (Who is just south of York PA)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Dec 6 2006, 08:47 PM
Post #6

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

You should have the royal treatment and deserve it being seasoned and a die hard teener beaner. If ya can keep the suds going and get some beef on the grill, they will worship you! As for the pain, since they will follow every instruction you give them, you could pound a few back and have fun with it yourself. You can be the commander in chief and be the lord of the special snoss. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Dec 6 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,197
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Pat,

Besides Aleve or Advil, you might want to pay a visit to an orthopedic surgeon. Maybe it's more than just arthritis setting in. I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee about 8 yrs ago (I just turned 53). The surgeon just nibbled a teeny little bit out of my medial meniscus. It's hard to believe that such a small tear can cause so much pain. I can tell from time to time that there is new stuff floating around in there. Probably getting on time for a second 'scope.

Skip
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 6 2006, 08:52 PM
Post #8

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

If your knees and back (or is that bach) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) won't take it any longer, buy a lift, have it installed and learn how to use it. They make working on the car much more fun (you need not crawl around on the floor like a dog).

You should have saved enough on maintenance over the years to afford one (about $3,500 new installed). You can even get them for low ceilings (but they limit the height you can lift them up).

Lifts also make it easier to apply wax to the inner wheel wells and muffler. They make using q-tips on obscure places like brake caliper bleed screws easier as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I know because I have a lift. I bought a house that already had one and a large shop already built.
+Quote Post
cooltimes
post Dec 6 2006, 08:57 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,081

Mechanical memories are just like a rust free long on a 914. Full of holes.
Don't wait. Do all those things you put off doing later NOW.
Things like getting a 914club mug. They will hold lots of secret potions.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Dec 6 2006, 09:17 PM
Post #10

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

I'm 65 in a couple of weeks. I find that I can do just about everything I did when I was 45........I just do it a lot slower, and maybe better. I do have a 4 post lift. Doing everything laying on my back on cold concrete is no longer appealing. If you have at least 9.5 feet of ceiling clearance in the garage, get a lift.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 6 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Secret potions? Water.

I'm serious. The laundry list of ways you help your body by drinking plenty of water is incredible.

Your body heals faster, mind is clearer, etc, etc... all by being well-hydrated. Back and joint pain can be caused by dehydration.

So many people live being a quart low that they don't even know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 6 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #12

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 6 2006, 07:19 PM) *

Secret potions? Water.

I'm serious. The laundry list of ways you help your body by drinking plenty of water is incredible.

Your body heals faster, mind is clearer, etc, etc... all by being well-hydrated. Back and joint pain can be caused by dehydration.

So many people live being a quart low that they don't even know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

[thread hijack]

Rusty, Are you back in the country now? When did you get back? Are you headed toward KC any time in the near future??

[/thread hijack]
+Quote Post
fitsbain
post Dec 6 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #13

Ask me if my car has rust!!!

Member No.: 5,634

Let me know if you want help.

I could come out on a weekend.

Of course I don't really know what I doing.

Just ask Evil.

All I do is collect parts.

I don't have a real 914.
+Quote Post
nycchef
post Dec 6 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #14

mechanical moron

Member No.: 5,202

Even though you can be a cantacerous PITA, I would come out and help you if you need (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

i'm 52, same back and knee problems, aleve is o.k,this is better... this summer i almost gave up on my 914. dr. evil came up and fixed everything. i actually thinks he likes us cantankerous old farts. even if he can't spell. hey mike, getting close to the engine drop. miss you
+Quote Post
JerryP
post Dec 7 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1,225

I'm just south of King of Prussia. I don't have the Evil expertise, but my knees and back are working pretty good. Let me know if I can help.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Dec 7 2006, 08:54 AM
Post #16

Summer's Commin...

Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 6 2006, 08:19 PM) *

Secret potions? Water.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
It's amazing what simple H20 can do for your body...
+Quote Post
MoveQik
post Dec 7 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #17

What size wheels can I fit?

Member No.: 3,881
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Dec 6 2006, 07:08 PM) *

Am I the ONLY one who's ageing here?

To quote Hank Jr, "The hangovers hurt more than they used to."
+Quote Post
race914
post Dec 7 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #18

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

I found that Denial works wonders.... I just ignore that I'm getting older (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But when that fails....

Bought the Harbor Freight work mats to help with the cold concrete. They are also great for the hot asphalt at the track.

Bought some safety glasses with built in reading glasses

Agree with taking Aleve. They work great for golf too.

Accepted that I'm not as agile or quick, but know more now and do better work!

I also know when to 'sub' out work that I just can't do by myself anymore... or host a BBQ!

BTW, the words to Pink Floyd's 'Time' make alot more sense than it did when I first heard it and was still 'convinced I was indestructable'....

+Quote Post
andys
post Dec 7 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

QUOTE(TINCAN914 @ Dec 7 2006, 06:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 6 2006, 08:19 PM) *

Secret potions? Water.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
It's amazing what simple H20 can do for your body...

That's not an option...................won't work at our age(57) since you'll be constantly having to pee from which no work gets done on the 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I loved to work physically hard my whole life. You just have to learn to cut it back a few clicks each year; but I know, it's tough to do! Regular excercise works wonders. I go to the gym in the mornings' before work, and feel great (and look pretty decent too). You don't have to over do it, but rather do it regularly. Wife does 6 day a week and it shows, but she's only 47. BTW, Glucosamine works great for the joints (especially the knees) when taken regularly, at least for me.

Andys
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 7 2006, 01:50 PM
Post #20

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 6 2006, 09:55 PM) *

[thread hijack]

Rusty, Are you back in the country now? When did you get back? Are you headed toward KC any time in the near future??

[/thread hijack]

I'm back in the country, but I no longer live in Kansas. I'm in Alabama.

Had lunch with Scott (SGB) and his son last weekend at Hooters... then went to join the whine and cheezers at the dealership for the PCA Christmas party.

They're not 914 people, but they seemed nice enough. It's a pretty active region, too. A few tours, DEs, and a tech session or two planned for 2007.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 10:49 PM