Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> gas tank colors
dmenche914
post Dec 9 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 366

Want to know a close match to the correct gas tank color. looking at a large collection at High Performance House, there appears to be two colors, a black, and a dark slate grey. Only about ten percent of the tanks were grey (two out of twenty)

My exerience is I have seen the dark grey tanks in early cars. Photos of trunk in the front trunk nail post show both colors.

Anyone know of a close match in a spray can?

thanks

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 9 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Dec 9 2006, 05:16 PM) *

Want to know a close match to the correct gas tank color. looking at a large collection at High Performance House, there appears to be two colors, a black, and a dark slate grey. Only about ten percent of the tanks were grey (two out of twenty)

My exerience is I have seen the dark grey tanks in early cars. Photos of trunk in the front trunk nail post show both colors.

Anyone know of a close match in a spray can?

thanks

My recollection is that the tanks were all "dark grey" through '74. What year are you trying to reproduce & why does it need painting? Pretty rare to need a respray on these, unless the tank's been exposed.
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Dec 9 2006, 11:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 366

Tank was re-sprayed by prior owner flat black, don't know why, but thats what i want to correct, tank is out for gas hose replacement, so now is the time.

Does anyone offer a close match in a spray can?

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Dec 10 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Dec 10 2006, 02:12 AM) *

Tank was re-sprayed by prior owner flat black, don't know why, but thats what i want to correct, tank is out for gas hose replacement, so now is the time.

Does anyone offer a close match in a spray can?

What year?

Is the entire tank sprayed flat black?

If you're going to repaint the entire tank (assuming it's incorrect) you'll need to strip & redo it, or you're wasting your time. Needs to be properly prep'd & sprayed. Rattle can won't last & is a waste of time. Won't adhere properly & will eventually start flaking off (even the good ones like Krylon & RostOleum).

Is it a near-concours 914? If not, accept it the way it is & spend your money elsewhere on the car.

My 1/50th of buck!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:24 PM