Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> needs new shoes...
TimT
post Mar 8 2003, 07:10 PM
Post #1

retired

Group: Members
Member No.: 313

OK, some of youknow I just picked up a 914 with a 3.2, baby needs new shoes.

Currently the car has 7&8's on it with 225/245 16'S

I have 7&9's from my 911

Im thinking of morphing them and using the pairs as 8&9's.

would 245's all around be ok? I want to try and get 315's on the 9's but im not sure if that will work.

Given the weight distribution of the 914 is it ok to use the same sized tires on it ( for track use)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 8 2003, 07:52 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

If you go for 8 fronts and 9 rears, I'd go for 225 front and 245 rear (those are the right sizes for those size wheels)

Yes, you can fit 245's on an 8" wheel, but you better have a tire with a very stiff sidewall

I don't think 315's will fit on 9" wheels (that's more likely to fit 11" wheels) and even if they do, it'd be a rediculous idea (IMHO)

I think it's better to have tires that are a little narrower but fit your wheels properly than trying to cram the widest tire you can get on a wheel

If the tire is too wide for your wheel, your car will handle like driving on balloons or under inflated tires and everything you invested in suspension setup will be lost because your tires will move all over your wheels once they get sideloaded

Just my .02 euro (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

cheers,

Jeroen
+Quote Post
seanery
post Mar 8 2003, 08:09 PM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Will those 8's fit?

I was under the impression that my 8's from my '86 951 were the key to 8's on the front.
They have a different offset than the 911 8's.

Here's a question:

Is there a difference between 951 7's and 911 7's ?

I have some of each burried somewhere. They may make good rains?
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Mar 8 2003, 08:22 PM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I asked similar questions elicited some pertinent responses.

Yes, same size at both ends does work, but the folks responding didn't have the hp that you have.
You may find that this will cause an unacceptable power oversteer condition. I can't report on my plans to use the same size all around cause I haven't done it yet.....also, mine is an AXer and our needs are different.

Have you considered slicks? You may be able to live with 10s at both ends...or 9s in front. Your wheels would work there (9s & 10s slicks ), me thinks. I haven't BTDT and have been wrong before. :toilet:
+Quote Post
TimT
post Mar 9 2003, 12:44 PM
Post #5

retired

Member No.: 313

Will those 8's fit?

The car currently has 7&8's, I dont know if they are 951 wheels or if they are from a 911, Ill have to check the #'s when I get a chance. ( my friend is letting me store the car at his shop, so I cant just go out and check )

Also the car currently has a set of Yokohama a032r's, and I have a sticker set of the yoks for my 911 sized 225/245.

Ill probably mount the 245's, then move the 8's to the front and put the 9's on the rear.

I have a DE in mid april, Ill report back from there.

Ill have to calll John Burgett and see what kind slicks he has available that will fit 16's
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:04 AM