Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project Turbo 914 begins..., (yes, I know you can't turbo a 914)
Andyrew
post Jan 14 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Oh, I thought that you were going to cut the trunk.. I see.

Then I would put it at an angle... (bend the tabs to be flat to the trunk) so when the fan is on the air is pushed towards the back, Just a slight angle would induce a whole lot more airflow over that cooler...

Just a thought. But I get your idea!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jan 15 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #22

The glory that once was.

Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Lee and Dave-o came over for the day. We played some guitar, messed with the yellow car, made some good progress. Did some electrical upgrades, re-did the oil cooler, its much better now, got it connected, test fired, no leaks, tore out the back pad, and got the intercooler mounts made. Forgot to bring a camera. Will try to get back to the shop tuesday afternoon for some snapshots, and will post more then.

The to-do list remains long. I need to get the boost gauge mounted, wired, plumbed. Need to get vacuume lines run to the RR fuel pressure regulator, blow off valve, and turbo. Need to move the cold start solinoid, and add another one to power the scavenge pump and the oil cooler fan. Need to make some intercooler piping. Need to run oil lines to the turbo, mount the scavenge pump, pressure switch, and return line.

Then get it off to LSE for fabrication of the intercooler to the ITB hat lines, and the turbo mount.

Then figure out how to post a movie to this site...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 16 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

post it on youtube, and link here.
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jan 26 2007, 09:35 PM
Post #24

The glory that once was.

Some progress from today and tonight. re-did the oil cooler, I didn't like how tight it was to the underside of the trunk. Didn't come out quite as well as I had hoped, but its pretty good overall.

Since these photos the threaded rod has been cut off closer to the nuts, and some protection had been added to the hoses where they run across the edge of the engine metal. The black ground wire has been run under the trunk and now grounds with the transmission ground strap. I need to get a relay installed, and connect the power for the fan, and this part of the project is done.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Jan 26 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #25

The glory that once was.

Also got the fancy intercooler mounts, made by our own fearless fabricator, Dave-O, painted with several coats, installed, and intercooler mounted. I expect the IC to come out for other work to be done, but its kinda cool to see it mounted up, ready for piping.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 26 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #26

Spooling.... Please wait

Thats lookin much betta!!!

Everything is looking really good!!
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Jan 27 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #27

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

Looks good Dave! I can't wait to see the turbo plumbing done.
+Quote Post
Brando
post Jan 27 2007, 03:23 PM
Post #28

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

Do like on 930s and force most of the engine cooling air through the intercooler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Apr 1 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #29

The glory that once was.

Finally some progress. With work, Christmas, New Years, teaching snowboarding, our end of the season snoboard safari to the mountains, progress has been slow. Got back in the shop for a couple hours this afternoon and got the topside charge piping done. There will need to be an adaptor made to go from the WRX intercooler to the charge lines to the ITB's, so the final position of those pipes may change slightly. I just cut off the 90 degree bends to about the right length for now.

Crunch time, as this friday I load the car up, and saturday it is delivered to LSE Peformance for the final fabrication of the adaptors for the intercooler and turbo to the collector, then some dyno time, and April 21-22 is our club novice school, I plan to have it ready for that to scare some newbies during the lunch time, when we allow the instructors to take their own cars out and give rides to the students.

On with the photos: these are of the left side ITB plumbing. The angle of the "hat" for the ITB, which was purchased from CB performance, was just about right with a straight section of silicone.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Apr 1 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #30

The glory that once was.

Here are some shots of the back of the intercooler, and the line to take in the boost from the turbo. I found a place for silicone that made a 3" to 2" 90 degree elbow, which was exactally what I needed. I still need to run the line thru the engine back metal to connect to this line off the intercooler.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Apr 1 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #31

The glory that once was.

Here are the connections for the right side ITB. I needed to use a 45 degree silicone elbow to make this side line up a little bettter. As noted, once the final adaptors are made for the connection to the intercooler, the allignment may change a little, but this is basically how it will go.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Apr 1 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #32

The glory that once was.

Plenty of work yet to be done. Need to mount and connect the lines to the puke tank for the heads and case breather lines. Need to run vaccume lines to the blow off valve, rising rate fuel pressure regulater, and runs lines to the dash for the boost gauge, and mount that. Need to finish the charge line thru the back engine tin. Need to run oil lines from the pressure sensor area to the turbo, turbo to the scavenge pump, pump back to the block/heads. Need to finish bracket for turbo and scavenge pump, and the wireing to the pump, cold start solinoid, and oil cooler fan. In other words, alot of late nights to have this thing ready to tow 200 miles to LSE. Expect plenty of updates over the coming week.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 1 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #33

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315

Looking good, it looks like you've got it well on it's way, turbo brother...
+Quote Post
Dave-O
post Apr 1 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #34

Is winter done yet?

Member No.: 1,082

I like that plumbing a lot! I wish I either lived closer or was less busy so I could help you get it ready. We'll have to swap drives sometime...I'm sure I could get you a little time in a certain red BMW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Apr 1 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #35

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Nice work and looks killer clean mister (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
pankopp
post Apr 6 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #36

Captain Awesome

Member No.: 6,519
Region Association: South East States

waiting for an update! .... show us.... please

oh yeah, what brand oil cooler and oil adapter are you using, just wondering...

Thanks!
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Apr 6 2007, 07:29 AM
Post #37

The glory that once was.

I've had way to much of my real job to deal with so far this week. Tonight the trailer comes to haul the car to the dyno for final fabrication and tuneing. Last night, got the puke tank installed, interior put back togather and cleaned up, and routed most of the vac lines for the rising rate FPR, blow off valve, and to the turbo for the boost controler. Need a few "T" and 90 degree fittings I couldn't get from the hardware store at 11pm. So, alot of work done, but not alot of photo progress. I'm going to try to get to the car by 1-2 today, switch into mad mechanic mode, call in a little help, and try to get things as done as they need to be by 9-10pm tonight. I'll shoot photos and load them over the weekend.

The thermostat/sandwich plate adaptor is a mocal, purchased from BAT in Florida. It mounts between the oil filter and case. When using the good quality OEM filters, the filter does not extend below the engine mounting bar, so no worries there on a lowered car. The combination oil cooler/thermostatically controlled fan came straight out of the summit racing web site. Its a B&M part # 70298 in the cooling section of the catalog, if you have one. It comes with the cooler, fan, and thermostat to control it all. Just add key switched power and ground, and you're in business. No mounting hardware was included, you have to come up with that on your own.
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 6 2007, 09:08 AM
Post #38

It all happens so fast!

I've been looking into an temp adjustable fan switch for my intercooler , came across the Davis Craig stuff I could have the fans kick in at 90º or over.

( http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_pro...;action=product

I am also considering a boost activated switch with a delay shut of relay to allow it to run on for a few minutes after it is activated. Right now I have it wired to a manual switch. I have a 4lb pressure switch plumbed in already to activate something..
+Quote Post
ottox914
post Apr 6 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #39

The glory that once was.

The SDS on my car will do a single ground switched item, either rpm based, or boost based. If I need an intercooler fan, I'll hook up the extra wire to the SDS, and have it switch on the intercooler fan using the boost based switch. I'll need to figure out some sort of delay also. I'm thinking of a manual ground switch for use when auto crossing. I can leave the fan on all the time.

I may have a gizmo to help you. Its a probe style thermostatically controlled relay. You stick the probe in the fins of the IC, and can set the relay to activate at a certain temp. This does not provide the delay you are looking for, but would provide a temp referenced switch. Let me know if you're interested.

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Apr 6 2007, 07:08 AM) *

I've been looking into an temp adjustable fan switch for my intercooler , came across the Davis Craig stuff I could have the fans kick in at 90º or over.

( http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_pro...;action=product

I am also considering a boost activated switch with a delay shut of relay to allow it to run on for a few minutes after it is activated. Right now I have it wired to a manual switch. I have a 4lb pressure switch plumbed in already to activate something..

+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Apr 6 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #40

It all happens so fast!

The probe like you mention i found was the Davis Craig one that used a similar probe and was adjustable from 90º up most others I've seen were adjustable from 180º up.
+Quote Post

14 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 02:51 PM