Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What say we clean up the membership count?
JeffBowlsby
post Dec 24 2006, 09:58 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Andy mentioned that there were about 500 active members on the old forum, its probably similar to that here. SIX THOUSAND...huh...I don't think so?

A new member is not created everytime someone selects a new long in name. If some one signs in and never posts are they really a member? This site is about truth, justice and the 914 Way correct? Call it like it is...Otherwise its just all lies....

Can the membership roles were purged say once a month by the admins, to clear out any 'members' who have not signed in or posted in say the last 12 months?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 24 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

Let the bitching begin (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 24 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #3

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Why on earth would we do that?

I signed up in 2003, but did not log in again for 2 years. Would just come over and lurk in guest mode. When I bought my car I got active.

Having the members does not hurt us, it takes relativly little space to store users accounts. Deleting old accounts could be really bad PR if folks start comming back. Like I did.

Merry christmas!

Zach
+Quote Post
smj
post Dec 24 2006, 10:32 PM
Post #4

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

What if The Admins instead added a simple count to the main page to show how many members had logged in in the past 30 days? Let's you get a feel for how big the "active" community is without calling for a lot of work (hopefully). Maybe it gets updated once a week -- let them what can see how easy it is/isn't worry about that.

Just checked -- the closest thing that's already present is the Stats section on the bottom of the Forums page. It shows how many users were active in the past 30 minutes, but nothing longer than that.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 24 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #5

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Perhaps a members title for those who post regularly. A lurker title for those who don't post regularly and maybe for a small monatary fee you could obtain a "special interest" title (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif)

Yeah I did it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 24 2006, 11:29 PM
Post #6

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

We can have a subscribers tile, for those who subscribe.
Ya thats it.
CCLINDOH
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Dec 24 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #7

neo life

Member No.: 159

If you go to "Member List" you can see who the "active" members are in terms of posts. If you scroll through the 600+ pages you can differentiate the top posters and the non-posters. Aaron is has taken the lead. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

It's good to review metrics. It can help club decisions and at least control the exagerations. If you know how many 914's are on the road vs how many have signed up, I'll bet there is a very large number of 914 owners that are not on this club or any other. I know many who aren't internet or club oriented.
+Quote Post
elwood-914
post Dec 25 2006, 01:55 AM
Post #8

elwood-914

Member No.: 38

That does it I'm outta here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That doesnt work well for me. I do a lot of lurking and am not doing anything to my car at the moment so I just lurk........not a big poster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
Merry Christmas everyone.
+Quote Post
Eric Taylor
post Dec 25 2006, 01:58 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 770

I;m in the same boat as elwood. I don't have the money or the time to work on my car right now so I don't post a lot, but I probably check in 3-4 times a day and lurk like a stalker outside the window. I enjoy my place and my log in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

eric
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Dec 25 2006, 02:03 AM
Post #10

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Another way....simply validate the email addresses. I believe there were bounced messages when we sent out the club invite. There hasn't been to my knowledge any discussion on cleaning it up...but I've missed a few memos of late....

We saw quite a few old members who came back and checked in and posted...if they had their accounts purged they would have a bit irked....

A few old members did not come back....it's not a real priority for me to get an accurate count. We have a different purpose now.

Right now I'm playing Santa and validating my kids email accounts, setting up the wireless booster and doing updates....I feel like a real IT geek....please kill me now....
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Dec 25 2006, 02:30 AM
Post #11

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Dec 24 2006, 11:55 PM) *

That does it I'm outta here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

That doesnt work well for me. I do a lot of lurking and am not doing anything to my car at the moment so I just lurk........not a big poster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/coffee.gif)
Merry Christmas everyone.

I agree, we don't need to actively remove anyone who registered. "Lurkers" or viewers are probably a majority of the club and it's great for those considering buying a 914.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 25 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #12

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 24 2006, 09:58 PM) *

Andy mentioned that there were about 500 active members on the old forum, its probably similar to that here. SIX THOUSAND...huh...I don't think so?

A new member is not created everytime someone selects a new long in name. If some one signs in and never posts are they really a member? This site is about truth, justice and the 914 Way correct? Call it like it is...Otherwise its just all lies....

Can the membership roles were purged say once a month by the admins, to clear out any 'members' who have not signed in or posted in say the last 12 months?

Merry Christmas, Jeff! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)

500 core members, several thousand lurkers or very infrequent posters.

But you're right. A cleanup is probably in order. It's not something we've actively pursued in the past, because it wasn't hurting anything. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Every user is assigned a number and those numbers are linked to posts, avatars and stuff. Even if we purge invalid/inactive users, we probably won't "compress" the list of user numbers.

It's a project for the ever-growing list, but something that should be tended to. When it happens, it will be well-planned, slow and deliberate. We don't want to shut anyone out that might decide to come back after a hiatus! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Warm regards,
Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
Toast
post Dec 25 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #13

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Leave it like it is.

There have been enough changes lately.
+Quote Post
Toast
post Dec 25 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #14

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

There was a member recently named 914
He was one of the first registered members.
He loged in a couple months ago and wanted to know why he still had Newbie status.

Anyone remember that?

I would be a little irked if I had that member name and then it disappeared because I had not logged in in a few years.

Knowwhatimsayin?
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Dec 25 2006, 11:47 AM
Post #15

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(Toast @ Dec 25 2006, 11:27 AM) *

There was a member recently named 914
He was one of the first registered members.
He loged in a couple months ago and wanted to know why he still had Newbie status.

Anyone remember that?

I would be a little irked if I had that member name and then it disappeared because I had not logged in in a few years.

Knowwhatimsayin?

I agree, leave it the way it is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Today the world, tomorrow the universe.
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post Dec 25 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #16

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253

QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 25 2006, 12:03 AM) *

We saw quite a few old members who came back and checked in and posted...if they had their accounts purged they would have a bit irked....
A few old members did not come back....it's not a real priority for me to get an accurate count. We have a different purpose now.

A Few Thoughts...
As Mike mentioned above, quite a few members came back and posted because of the email and a lot of emails were even bounced back.

We definitely don't want to base membership on email addresses...I'm sure many owners never update their profile but are still out there or even lurking…wondering.

With all that has happened lately, anyone who hasn't been active in the last 2 months would/are confused as hell...and probably will end-up going to the old 914club ip not knowing—even with the “914World” email invitation. Since, in all likelihood, Brad will populate his site with the old content as well, infrequent members will think they just drove into a CA Ghost town...the buildings are all there, but where are all the people?...and probably leave disenchanted. Even though the content is invaluable, it’s the people who make the club. I guess what I’m trying to say is we need, to create a feeling of “inclusion” not “exclusory” as a club, and reach out to 914 owners somehow and let them know they are welcome.

It would be nice to actually know how many members are active and who they are, but I think we better wait a while from making any changes.

One piece of info that would be real nice to know, is the number of 914s still out there that their owners still consider to be viable. Perhaps we could setup some sort of nailed thread that starts to collect an active set of VIN numbers—I’m sure the 6000 member database of VINS is way off.

Lastly, let’s not remove anyone based on the number of posts, last login or even 914 ownership.

In my opinion, the club should be about it’s people, good conversation, and the love of cars, regardless whether it’s members have a rolling tub or not, or a tricked-out conversion.

+Quote Post
bernbomb914
post Dec 25 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #17

one of the oldest Farts on this board

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 36

A Few Thoughts...
As Mike mentioned above, quite a few members came back and posted because of the email and a lot of emails were even bounced back.

We definitely don't want to base membership on email addresses...I'm sure many owners never update their profile but are still out there or even lurking…wondering.

With all that has happened lately, anyone who hasn't been active in the last 2 months would/are confused as hell...and probably will end-up going to the old 914club ip not knowing—even with the “914World” email invitation. Since, in all likelihood, Brad will populate his site with the old content as well, infrequent members will think they just drove into a CA Ghost town...the buildings are all there, but where are all the people?...and probably leave disenchanted. Even though the content is invaluable, it’s the people who make the club. I guess what I’m trying to say is we need, to create a feeling of “inclusion” not “exclusory” as a club, and reach out to 914 owners somehow and let them know they are welcome.

It would be nice to actually know how many members are active and who they are, but I think we better wait a while from making any changes.

One piece of info that would be real nice to know, is the number of 914s still out there that their owners still consider to be viable. Perhaps we could setup some sort of nailed thread that starts to collect an active set of VIN numbers—I’m sure the 6000 member database of VINS is way off.

Lastly, let’s not remove anyone based on the number of posts, last login or even 914 ownership.

In my opinion, the club should be about it’s people, good conversation, and the love of cars, regardless whether it’s members have a rolling tub or not, or a tricked-out conversion.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Dec 25 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #18

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Probably would be best to invalidate all accounts and let everyone start over again? That way you get rid of old unused screen names etc.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 25 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #19

Mike Ginter

Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 25 2006, 03:38 PM) *

Probably would be best to invalidate all accounts and let everyone start over again? That way you get rid of old unused screen names etc.

That was a joke... right?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Dec 25 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #20

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 25 2006, 04:38 PM) *

If we start over, I want to be Z... cause he's so coooooooooooooooooolll... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:38 AM