Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What say we clean up the membership count?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Andy mentioned that there were about 500 active members on the old forum, its probably similar to that here. SIX THOUSAND...huh...I don't think so?

A new member is not created everytime someone selects a new long in name. If some one signs in and never posts are they really a member? This site is about truth, justice and the 914 Way correct? Call it like it is...Otherwise its just all lies....

Can the membership roles were purged say once a month by the admins, to clear out any 'members' who have not signed in or posted in say the last 12 months?
scotty b
popcorn[1].gif

Let the bitching begin av-943.gif

popcorn[1].gif
VaccaRabite
Why on earth would we do that?

I signed up in 2003, but did not log in again for 2 years. Would just come over and lurk in guest mode. When I bought my car I got active.

Having the members does not hurt us, it takes relativly little space to store users accounts. Deleting old accounts could be really bad PR if folks start comming back. Like I did.

Merry christmas!

Zach
smj
What if The Admins instead added a simple count to the main page to show how many members had logged in in the past 30 days? Let's you get a feel for how big the "active" community is without calling for a lot of work (hopefully). Maybe it gets updated once a week -- let them what can see how easy it is/isn't worry about that.

Just checked -- the closest thing that's already present is the Stats section on the bottom of the Forums page. It shows how many users were active in the past 30 minutes, but nothing longer than that.
scotty b
Perhaps a members title for those who post regularly. A lurker title for those who don't post regularly and maybe for a small monatary fee you could obtain a "special interest" title ph34r.gif

Yeah I did it popcorn[1].gif laugh.gif
boxstr
We can have a subscribers tile, for those who subscribe.
Ya thats it.
CCLINDOH
neo914-6
If you go to "Member List" you can see who the "active" members are in terms of posts. If you scroll through the 600+ pages you can differentiate the top posters and the non-posters. Aaron is has taken the lead. clap56.gif

It's good to review metrics. It can help club decisions and at least control the exagerations. If you know how many 914's are on the road vs how many have signed up, I'll bet there is a very large number of 914 owners that are not on this club or any other. I know many who aren't internet or club oriented.
elwood-914
That does it I'm outta here wink.gif

That doesnt work well for me. I do a lot of lurking and am not doing anything to my car at the moment so I just lurk........not a big poster. coffee.gif
Merry Christmas everyone.
Eric Taylor
I;m in the same boat as elwood. I don't have the money or the time to work on my car right now so I don't post a lot, but I probably check in 3-4 times a day and lurk like a stalker outside the window. I enjoy my place and my log in smile.gif

eric
Joe Bob
Another way....simply validate the email addresses. I believe there were bounced messages when we sent out the club invite. There hasn't been to my knowledge any discussion on cleaning it up...but I've missed a few memos of late....

We saw quite a few old members who came back and checked in and posted...if they had their accounts purged they would have a bit irked....

A few old members did not come back....it's not a real priority for me to get an accurate count. We have a different purpose now.

Right now I'm playing Santa and validating my kids email accounts, setting up the wireless booster and doing updates....I feel like a real IT geek....please kill me now....
neo914-6
QUOTE(elwood-914 @ Dec 24 2006, 11:55 PM) *

That does it I'm outta here wink.gif

That doesnt work well for me. I do a lot of lurking and am not doing anything to my car at the moment so I just lurk........not a big poster. coffee.gif
Merry Christmas everyone.

I agree, we don't need to actively remove anyone who registered. "Lurkers" or viewers are probably a majority of the club and it's great for those considering buying a 914.
Rusty
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Dec 24 2006, 09:58 PM) *

Andy mentioned that there were about 500 active members on the old forum, its probably similar to that here. SIX THOUSAND...huh...I don't think so?

A new member is not created everytime someone selects a new long in name. If some one signs in and never posts are they really a member? This site is about truth, justice and the 914 Way correct? Call it like it is...Otherwise its just all lies....

Can the membership roles were purged say once a month by the admins, to clear out any 'members' who have not signed in or posted in say the last 12 months?

Merry Christmas, Jeff! wavey.gif

500 core members, several thousand lurkers or very infrequent posters.

But you're right. A cleanup is probably in order. It's not something we've actively pursued in the past, because it wasn't hurting anything. smile.gif

Every user is assigned a number and those numbers are linked to posts, avatars and stuff. Even if we purge invalid/inactive users, we probably won't "compress" the list of user numbers.

It's a project for the ever-growing list, but something that should be tended to. When it happens, it will be well-planned, slow and deliberate. We don't want to shut anyone out that might decide to come back after a hiatus! smile.gif

Warm regards,
Rusty smoke.gif
Toast
Leave it like it is.

There have been enough changes lately.
Toast
There was a member recently named 914
He was one of the first registered members.
He loged in a couple months ago and wanted to know why he still had Newbie status.

Anyone remember that?

I would be a little irked if I had that member name and then it disappeared because I had not logged in in a few years.

Knowwhatimsayin?
Lou W
QUOTE(Toast @ Dec 25 2006, 11:27 AM) *

He loged in a couple months ago and wanted to know why he still had Newbie status.

Anyone remember that?

I would be a little irked if I had that member name and then it disappeared because I had not logged in in a few years.

Knowwhatimsayin?

I agree, leave it the way it is. dry.gif

Today the world, tomorrow the universe.
computers4kids
QUOTE(mikez @ Dec 25 2006, 12:03 AM) *

We saw quite a few old members who came back and checked in and posted...if they had their accounts purged they would have a bit irked....
A few old members did not come back....it's not a real priority for me to get an accurate count. We have a different purpose now.

A Few Thoughts...
As Mike mentioned above, quite a few members came back and posted because of the email and a lot of emails were even bounced back.

We definitely don't want to base membership on email addresses...I'm sure many owners never update their profile but are still out there or even lurking…wondering.

With all that has happened lately, anyone who hasn't been active in the last 2 months would/are confused as hell...and probably will end-up going to the old 914club ip not knowing—even with the “914World” email invitation. Since, in all likelihood, Brad will populate his site with the old content as well, infrequent members will think they just drove into a CA Ghost town...the buildings are all there, but where are all the people?...and probably leave disenchanted. Even though the content is invaluable, it’s the people who make the club. I guess what I’m trying to say is we need, to create a feeling of “inclusion” not “exclusory” as a club, and reach out to 914 owners somehow and let them know they are welcome.

It would be nice to actually know how many members are active and who they are, but I think we better wait a while from making any changes.

One piece of info that would be real nice to know, is the number of 914s still out there that their owners still consider to be viable. Perhaps we could setup some sort of nailed thread that starts to collect an active set of VIN numbers—I’m sure the 6000 member database of VINS is way off.

Lastly, let’s not remove anyone based on the number of posts, last login or even 914 ownership.

In my opinion, the club should be about it’s people, good conversation, and the love of cars, regardless whether it’s members have a rolling tub or not, or a tricked-out conversion.

bernbomb914
A Few Thoughts...
As Mike mentioned above, quite a few members came back and posted because of the email and a lot of emails were even bounced back.

We definitely don't want to base membership on email addresses...I'm sure many owners never update their profile but are still out there or even lurking…wondering.

With all that has happened lately, anyone who hasn't been active in the last 2 months would/are confused as hell...and probably will end-up going to the old 914club ip not knowing—even with the “914World” email invitation. Since, in all likelihood, Brad will populate his site with the old content as well, infrequent members will think they just drove into a CA Ghost town...the buildings are all there, but where are all the people?...and probably leave disenchanted. Even though the content is invaluable, it’s the people who make the club. I guess what I’m trying to say is we need, to create a feeling of “inclusion” not “exclusory” as a club, and reach out to 914 owners somehow and let them know they are welcome.

It would be nice to actually know how many members are active and who they are, but I think we better wait a while from making any changes.

One piece of info that would be real nice to know, is the number of 914s still out there that their owners still consider to be viable. Perhaps we could setup some sort of nailed thread that starts to collect an active set of VIN numbers—I’m sure the 6000 member database of VINS is way off.

Lastly, let’s not remove anyone based on the number of posts, last login or even 914 ownership.

In my opinion, the club should be about it’s people, good conversation, and the love of cars, regardless whether it’s members have a rolling tub or not, or a tricked-out conversion.

agree.gif

grantsfo
Probably would be best to invalidate all accounts and let everyone start over again? That way you get rid of old unused screen names etc.
Gint
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 25 2006, 03:38 PM) *

Probably would be best to invalidate all accounts and let everyone start over again? That way you get rid of old unused screen names etc.

That was a joke... right?

av-943.gif
Rusty
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 25 2006, 04:38 PM) *

If we start over, I want to be Z... cause he's so coooooooooooooooooolll... wub.gif

av-943.gif
LS6/914
WOW a 356 club without the resale value! When y all are done screwing up a good thing let me know. Some of us are gone for long periods of time and have no access to the web..............
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Dec 25 2006, 05:31 PM) *

With all that has happened lately, anyone who hasn't been active in the last 2 months would/are confused as hell...and probably will end-up going to the old 914club ip not knowing—even with the “914World” email invitation.

Yep....been right "off-line" for almost 3 months, email was in my spam file.

What the heck happened....oh well... I've been getting a crap load done on my house (new windows, siding and renovations). It's been a self -imposed exile to "get 'er done" and I come back to see this.....

blink.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 25 2006, 05:38 PM) *

Nooooooooooo!

It took me forever to get to 600 posts. I don't want to go back to "newbie" status!
cooltimes

icon_bump.gif
twistedstang
Guess I better post before I get dumped. There thats better. Back to lurking for me. Mom always said " if you dont have something intelligent to say............."

By the way the New site looks great aktion035.gif
Porschetoyz
Yeah, what he said!!

agree.gif

Hello all.............

Now, back to lurking smile.gif
Joe Bob
We have decided to take a loan out on the website to pay for the new upgrades....so we NEED the high member numbers to qualify....as part of the loan we have agreed to sell the email addresses to spammers in Bratislava.

The national economy is geared toward breast and penile enhancement devices. You may have seen the Sweedish knockoff model on Austin Powers II?

You will probably NOT notice the extra 30-40 emails...but if you do, please enjoy the hidden trojan virii and the explicit photoghraphs.....now back to your regularly scheduled meltdowns....

Enjoy the benefits of the new site...I will,.....

wheelo
dead horse.gif

soooo not funny !

leave-it-be ....

member - be - members

active or lurking

smoke.gif

M
orange914
QUOTE(Toast @ Dec 25 2006, 09:27 AM) *

Anyone remember that?

Knowwhatimsayin?

i've been fairly active (1+ inputs ave. for almost 2 years). i happened across this site todayand found i was registered (carry over from old? 914club??) why is there still 914club.com online without the past content and now 914 world.com contains it? (just happy this wealth of experiance and knowedge wasn't flushed down the crapper) are ALL previous 6000+ members aware of this site, i know i wasn't

honestly this site did immediately feel like home -old faces-old history/articles...even my old p.m.'s i just want the dust to settle and become a teener commmunity again clap56.gif beerchug.gif mueba.gif popcorn[1].gif
pek771
Yeah, leave it alone. It's not easy finding that picture of the ME-262.

As soon as I get my garage addition finished, and the 911 put back together, then I can get the 914 done. Need it for track season!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.