Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> seeking rotissery in north carolina, loaner or rental/ prefer tested, have not done, nerves
chasingsummer1
post Dec 26 2006, 07:08 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 825

gave up trying to sell car, so i need a rotissery, i am located near greensboro, nc. tight budget, help locating is appreciated
chasingsummer1@aol.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 26 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

If you have a welder, they are cheap and easy to make. You will pay less in the long run making one then renting one.

Besides, nothing like welding fresh 1/8 in thick walled steel tube to raise you confidence with a welder. Goes together easy as pie, way easier then sheet metal.

I learned to weld making mine. If I can do it....

Zach
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 26 2006, 08:33 PM
Post #3

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

here is one I drew most of the way

Attached File(s)
Attached File  ROTISSERIE.pdf ( 253.05k ) Number of downloads: 103
+Quote Post
chasingsummer1
post Dec 28 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #4

do not have a welder, hoping to braze in patches, will not know exactly what i have till i can get a good look at.

has anyone ever used 2 engine stands? any idea how much a 914 would weight stripped down?

brian
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 28 2006, 07:25 PM
Post #5

En Garde!

QUOTE(chasingsummer1 @ Dec 28 2006, 08:04 PM) *

do not have a welder, hoping to braze in patches, will not know exactly what i have till i can get a good look at.

has anyone ever used 2 engine stands? any idea how much a 914 would weight stripped down?

brian

Mine is actually built off of two engine stands form harbor freight (the $30 ones), and many of the home built ones are based off a pair of engine stands.

If you are good at brazing, you can do it, but you would really be better of getting a welder. If you are thinking that your car is going to need a rotesserie, buy a mig welder. It is money very well spent.

The PO somewhere down the line with my car brazed in several repairs. When I had to take them out, I was was cursing like a sailor (and being a sailor, I can curse pretty well). Easier to grind out a bad weld then a bad braze.

Zach

+Quote Post
chasingsummer1
post Dec 28 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #6

i may find out that i need a welder, but if wife knows i have to spend a lot at once, well you know. i am better off sneaking up on that. and i do not trust my first welding experience being on a rotissery. priced a couple engine stands today, sales going on and stuff. for $30 each, i can pick up 2 rated at 750 lbs each. not sure what car should weight. not sure if 1500 total weight ability on stands are enough. should it be, the only other stands i saw were rated at 1500 lbs each, but no sale their, they were 100 each.
when it comes to welding, is their a good but cheap manufacture or model i should be thinking? all input is appreciated, i do not have resourses to make a full restore, but this car has seen 115 on the speedo more times than i dared. and if i do get crazy at times, i need to know it will take it.
thanks
brian
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Dec 28 2006, 07:55 PM
Post #7

En Garde!

The stands rated for 750 are fine. That is what I used on mine. But, my car is _totally_ stripped right now. When I start putting things back on, the car will come off the twirler.

When I bought my welder, I bought some steel tube to practice with. I pretty much went right from practice to building the stand.

Zach
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 04:33 PM