Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seeking rotissery in north carolina
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chasingsummer1
gave up trying to sell car, so i need a rotissery, i am located near greensboro, nc. tight budget, help locating is appreciated
chasingsummer1@aol.com
VaccaRabite
If you have a welder, they are cheap and easy to make. You will pay less in the long run making one then renting one.

Besides, nothing like welding fresh 1/8 in thick walled steel tube to raise you confidence with a welder. Goes together easy as pie, way easier then sheet metal.

I learned to weld making mine. If I can do it....

Zach
John
here is one I drew most of the way
chasingsummer1
do not have a welder, hoping to braze in patches, will not know exactly what i have till i can get a good look at.

has anyone ever used 2 engine stands? any idea how much a 914 would weight stripped down?

brian
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(chasingsummer1 @ Dec 28 2006, 08:04 PM) *

do not have a welder, hoping to braze in patches, will not know exactly what i have till i can get a good look at.

has anyone ever used 2 engine stands? any idea how much a 914 would weight stripped down?

brian

Mine is actually built off of two engine stands form harbor freight (the $30 ones), and many of the home built ones are based off a pair of engine stands.

If you are good at brazing, you can do it, but you would really be better of getting a welder. If you are thinking that your car is going to need a rotesserie, buy a mig welder. It is money very well spent.

The PO somewhere down the line with my car brazed in several repairs. When I had to take them out, I was was cursing like a sailor (and being a sailor, I can curse pretty well). Easier to grind out a bad weld then a bad braze.

Zach

chasingsummer1
i may find out that i need a welder, but if wife knows i have to spend a lot at once, well you know. i am better off sneaking up on that. and i do not trust my first welding experience being on a rotissery. priced a couple engine stands today, sales going on and stuff. for $30 each, i can pick up 2 rated at 750 lbs each. not sure what car should weight. not sure if 1500 total weight ability on stands are enough. should it be, the only other stands i saw were rated at 1500 lbs each, but no sale their, they were 100 each.
when it comes to welding, is their a good but cheap manufacture or model i should be thinking? all input is appreciated, i do not have resourses to make a full restore, but this car has seen 115 on the speedo more times than i dared. and if i do get crazy at times, i need to know it will take it.
thanks
brian
VaccaRabite
The stands rated for 750 are fine. That is what I used on mine. But, my car is _totally_ stripped right now. When I start putting things back on, the car will come off the twirler.

When I bought my welder, I bought some steel tube to practice with. I pretty much went right from practice to building the stand.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.