Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pulling dents out of bumpers?, I'm gonna rechrome my bumpers and....
RSWannabe
post Jan 2 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,692

I'm gonna rechrome my bumpers and want to pull a small dent out of each of them before I do. Any recommendations on how to do this?

Brooke
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John
post Jan 3 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #2

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

STOP!!!!!

Take it to the bumper shop/chrome shop. They are able to straighten the bumper WAY better than an amature. (no offense, but they chrome things for a living and the ugliest chrome is chrome on a wrinkly part).

I strongly suggest that you leave any straightening of items to be chromed to the experts. It won't be cheap, but it will be more than worth it in the end.

just my $0.02
+Quote Post
project-914
post Jan 3 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,571

...polish that one spot...get a leather pad of some sort...and tac it with a flat hammer from the back...and then check the reflection for perfection...

I've never done it...ever...but it makes sense right?...just a thought, but I'm just a 17 year old LOL

and reflection rhymes with perfection
+Quote Post
highways
post Jan 3 2007, 02:14 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 4,296

Hammer and drift... special tools required. Drifts come in different shapes and sizes- essentially they are like a hand held anvil that you hold on the concave side of the dent. Then on the opposite side of the body you use a special set of autobody hammers (with different shaped heads) and hit just barely to the edge of the drift to bring the metal to level. It's fun! Although- I haven't done chrome bumper repair (yet...), but body work is body work. Sharp did an awsome job of reworking a crushed front turn signal. Sheetmetal is very workable and mistakes can be undone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Jan 3 2007, 05:07 AM
Post #5

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I 'm with John, don't take the chance of F--cking up a good bumper. my 2 cents Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 03:57 PM