Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> need the lower outer firewall, Anyone got any suggestions as to where I can get one?
IanStott
post Jan 7 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,199

I am rustoring my 74, the outer lowewr firewall is just too fwar gone to repair so I was looking to see if I could get one. Bill at Restoration design doesn't make them anymore. Even used in decent shape is very acceptable. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Joe Owensby
post Jan 7 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #2

JoeO

Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

Check with some of the other suppliers, Automobile Atlanta, etc. They used to carry these.

Also, how bad is yours? Mine was only rusted along the lower section (up about 1/2 inch) where the floor pan was welded in, and only on the outboard section. The center section of the car where the cable and shifter pass throughs are, was not rusted. I cut out about 1 inch of the lower section of this where the rust was, and then made a piece to weld it to fit the floorboard contours. I decided to do this after watching the on line video from Automobile Atlanta, showing the repairs (recommend you see this). They said to only cut out the minimum amount necessary. if I had it to do over, I would probably order a fabricated piece and just use the bottom 1" of it, but what I did was not really that much work, and should be just as strong. While I had the area opened up, I cleaned and POR15 coated all the inside areas so I won't have to worry about rusting from inside. This was pretty easy, as I completed the inner and outer firewalls first, and then welded in a floorpan. Good luck.

Joe O.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 7 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #3

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have one of these....firewall pics show the front and back. This is a new NOS never used Factory piece.
camp914@comcast.net for details
CCL

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
stepuptotheMike
post Jan 7 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #4

medium pimpin

Member No.: 6,769
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jan 7 2007, 01:32 PM) *

Check with some of the other suppliers, Automobile Atlanta, etc. They used to carry these.

Also, how bad is yours? Mine was only rusted along the lower section (up about 1/2 inch) where the floor pan was welded in, and only on the outboard section. The center section of the car where the cable and shifter pass throughs are, was not rusted. I cut out about 1 inch of the lower section of this where the rust was, and then made a piece to weld it to fit the floorboard contours. I decided to do this after watching the on line video from Automobile Atlanta, showing the repairs (recommend you see this). They said to only cut out the minimum amount necessary. if I had it to do over, I would probably order a fabricated piece and just use the bottom 1" of it, but what I did was not really that much work, and should be just as strong. While I had the area opened up, I cleaned and POR15 coated all the inside areas so I won't have to worry about rusting from inside. This was pretty easy, as I completed the inner and outer firewalls first, and then welded in a floorpan. Good luck.

Joe O.

Joe, do you happen to have a link to that video?

Thanks,

Mike
+Quote Post
IanStott
post Jan 7 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 7 2007, 10:45 AM) *

I have one of these....firewall pics show the front and back. This is a new NOS never used Factory piece.
camp914@comcast.net for details
CCL

Those pieces in my car are ok, it is the lower part of the firewall that is a big rusted mess. Thanks for replying though.

Ian Stott
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jan 7 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #6

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153
Region Association: None

Mike:
I just replaced my lower 2"x 12" on each side but the middle was good. It's not a big deal and probably easier than you think. If the section around your cable tubes is OK then its easily done. If you have to replace all around your tubes its a PITA.
+Quote Post
IanStott
post Jan 7 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:21 PM) *

Mike:
I just replaced my lower 2"x 12" on each side but the middle was good. It's not a big deal and probably easier than you think. If the section around your cable tubes is OK then its easily done. If you have to replace all around your tubes its a PITA.

I am going to look at this area again with my body man, sounds like you are very familiar with what I am up against. If the part is available would you recommend getting it?

Ian Stott
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Jan 7 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #8

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

Take some pictures of it and email them to me. Of all the rust on my car, and there was a lot, this area was in relatively good shape.
+Quote Post
IanStott
post Jan 7 2007, 08:41 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:32 PM) *

Take some pictures of it and email them to me. Of all the rust on my car, and there was a lot, this area was in relatively good shape.

I'll do that but I don't seem to be able to post pics, I have tried unsuccessfully in the past and gave up in frustration, I am not very computer savvy plus I am on very slow dial up. I do have a digital camera which takes nice pictures, could I e-mail them to you directly, I have been successful at doing that to relatives.

Ian Stott
Moncton
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Jan 7 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Try Resteration Design they list a lower left and right firewall.
+Quote Post
IanStott
post Jan 7 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:45 PM) *

Try Resteration Design they list a lower left and right firewall.

I have purchased all I good from Restoration Design, great quality parts, Bill at RD was great to deal with as well, he told me at that time he wasn't making that lower outer firewall piece anymore. I will check with him to see if things have changed.

Ian Stott
+Quote Post
ws91420
post Jan 7 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #12

Yes I have one a Lensley 914

From: Ruther Glen,VA (halfway between sticks and civilization)
Member No.: 1,137
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

He has pics posted on the web site did'nt try to see if it could be ordered though.
+Quote Post
Mid_Engine_914
post Jan 7 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 6,888

As far as I know that lower firewall section hasn't been available from Restoration Design for a long time now. I brought my car in to a local shop back in November to have the firewall and hell-hole rust repaired and he fabbed up his own metal patch panels for the firewall area. Here are some before and after pics (click on pics to enlarge).

(IMG:http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/8601/firewallrust1mr2.th.jpg)

(IMG:http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/7641/firewallrust2dk1.th.jpg)

(IMG:http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/8430/firewallrust3kh2.th.jpg)

(IMG:http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/5651/firewallrust4wi5.th.jpg)

+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Jan 8 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

QUOTE(IanStott @ Jan 7 2007, 06:43 AM) *

I am rustoring my 74, the outer lowewr firewall is just too fwar gone to repair so I was looking to see if I could get one. Bill at Restoration design doesn't make them anymore. Even used in decent shape is very acceptable. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Hi Ian. Yes we do make the part but am sure that Bill makes it two and if you are happy dealing with him then I would recommend that you continue. We NEVER would want to take business away from any 914 manufacturer as we really appreciate anyone who makes 914 parts these days!
Of course there is another story about 914 sheet metal suppliers!
+Quote Post
Instru-Mental
post Jan 8 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 7,386

Hi Ian,

Is that the black chassis that you bought from freezing14? If so, my dad hauled it down to Moncton for you.

I have a stash of NOS and repro parts that I've been accumulating and think I have the part you are looking for. I'll double check and get back to you. If you don't need it ASAP I might be able to arrange cheap safe passage for it to Moncton.

Cheers

Todd
+Quote Post
IanStott
post Jan 8 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #16

[quote name='Instru-Mental' date='Jan 8 2007, 08:56 AM' post='844840']
Hi Ian,

Is that the black chassis that you bought from freezing14? If so, my dad hauled it down to Moncton for you.

I have a stash of NOS and repro parts that I've been accumulating and think I have the part you are looking for. I'll double check and get back to you. If you don't need it ASAP I might be able to arrange cheap safe passage for it to Moncton.

Cheers

Todd

Thanks Todd, I would appreciate that, and you are correct I don't need it yesterday. I wasn't home when your Dad dropped off the black body, I was in New Jersey so I didn't get to meet him. I am willing to pay you for the part, did you want me to call you to arrange payment and other details? I would be interested in some other items, we could talk about that.
I got the impression from the Auto Atlanta guy I couldn't buy from him as I had bought some parts from Restoration Design and there is some kind of bad blood between them so he is not interested in selling me anything. I really didn't know how to respond to that.

Ian Stott
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Jan 8 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

[quote name='IanStott' date='Jan 8 2007, 04:22 PM' post='845050']
[quote name='Instru-Mental' date='Jan 8 2007, 08:56 AM' post='844840']
Hi Ian,

Cheers

Todd

Thanks Todd, I would appreciate that, and you are correct I don't need it yesterday. I wasn't home when your Dad dropped off the black body, I was in New Jersey so I didn't get to meet him. I am willing to pay you for the part, did you want me to call you to arrange payment and other details? I would be interested in some other items, we could talk about that.
I got the impression from the Auto Atlanta guy I couldn't buy from him as I had bought some parts from Restoration Design and there is some kind of bad blood between them so he is not interested in selling me anything. I really didn't know how to respond to that.

Ian Stott
[/quote]

I have been following your thread because I am about to do the same repair. I think you read George wrong unless there was something else said between you two. I think he was only saying he wasn't trying to take business from resto. I am sure he will sell to you. I am not sure exactly when I can post pictures of my progress but I will as soon as I have some (progress that is).
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Jan 8 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #18

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

AutoAtlanta makes it . . . he just said that if resto design does too and you like them buy it there because he doesn't want to take away their business.
+Quote Post
nomore9one4
post Jan 8 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #19

Member of the Eastcoast Thread Killers Club

Member No.: 14

[quote name='IanStott' date='Jan 8 2007, 04:22 PM' post='845050']

Todd

Ian Stott

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) and you read that were? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
Instru-Mental
post Jan 9 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,386

Ian Stott
[/quote]

Ian,

PM your phone number and I'll give you a shout. My father will be travelling down this way in the near future (and heading back to Moncton). I have a number of duplicate parts. I can probably send a pic on Saturday (too busy through the week).

Cheers

Todd
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 06:06 PM