Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need the lower outer firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
IanStott
I am rustoring my 74, the outer lowewr firewall is just too fwar gone to repair so I was looking to see if I could get one. Bill at Restoration design doesn't make them anymore. Even used in decent shape is very acceptable. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Joe Owensby
Check with some of the other suppliers, Automobile Atlanta, etc. They used to carry these.

Also, how bad is yours? Mine was only rusted along the lower section (up about 1/2 inch) where the floor pan was welded in, and only on the outboard section. The center section of the car where the cable and shifter pass throughs are, was not rusted. I cut out about 1 inch of the lower section of this where the rust was, and then made a piece to weld it to fit the floorboard contours. I decided to do this after watching the on line video from Automobile Atlanta, showing the repairs (recommend you see this). They said to only cut out the minimum amount necessary. if I had it to do over, I would probably order a fabricated piece and just use the bottom 1" of it, but what I did was not really that much work, and should be just as strong. While I had the area opened up, I cleaned and POR15 coated all the inside areas so I won't have to worry about rusting from inside. This was pretty easy, as I completed the inner and outer firewalls first, and then welded in a floorpan. Good luck.

Joe O.
boxstr
I have one of these....firewall pics show the front and back. This is a new NOS never used Factory piece.
camp914@comcast.net for details
CCL
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jan 7 2007, 01:32 PM) *

Check with some of the other suppliers, Automobile Atlanta, etc. They used to carry these.

Also, how bad is yours? Mine was only rusted along the lower section (up about 1/2 inch) where the floor pan was welded in, and only on the outboard section. The center section of the car where the cable and shifter pass throughs are, was not rusted. I cut out about 1 inch of the lower section of this where the rust was, and then made a piece to weld it to fit the floorboard contours. I decided to do this after watching the on line video from Automobile Atlanta, showing the repairs (recommend you see this). They said to only cut out the minimum amount necessary. if I had it to do over, I would probably order a fabricated piece and just use the bottom 1" of it, but what I did was not really that much work, and should be just as strong. While I had the area opened up, I cleaned and POR15 coated all the inside areas so I won't have to worry about rusting from inside. This was pretty easy, as I completed the inner and outer firewalls first, and then welded in a floorpan. Good luck.

Joe O.

Joe, do you happen to have a link to that video?

Thanks,

Mike
IanStott
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 7 2007, 10:45 AM) *

I have one of these....firewall pics show the front and back. This is a new NOS never used Factory piece.
camp914@comcast.net for details
CCL

Those pieces in my car are ok, it is the lower part of the firewall that is a big rusted mess. Thanks for replying though.

Ian Stott
tracks914
Mike:
I just replaced my lower 2"x 12" on each side but the middle was good. It's not a big deal and probably easier than you think. If the section around your cable tubes is OK then its easily done. If you have to replace all around your tubes its a PITA.
IanStott
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:21 PM) *

Mike:
I just replaced my lower 2"x 12" on each side but the middle was good. It's not a big deal and probably easier than you think. If the section around your cable tubes is OK then its easily done. If you have to replace all around your tubes its a PITA.

I am going to look at this area again with my body man, sounds like you are very familiar with what I am up against. If the part is available would you recommend getting it?

Ian Stott
tracks914
Take some pictures of it and email them to me. Of all the rust on my car, and there was a lot, this area was in relatively good shape.
IanStott
QUOTE(tracks914 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:32 PM) *

Take some pictures of it and email them to me. Of all the rust on my car, and there was a lot, this area was in relatively good shape.

I'll do that but I don't seem to be able to post pics, I have tried unsuccessfully in the past and gave up in frustration, I am not very computer savvy plus I am on very slow dial up. I do have a digital camera which takes nice pictures, could I e-mail them to you directly, I have been successful at doing that to relatives.

Ian Stott
Moncton
ws91420
Try Resteration Design they list a lower left and right firewall.
IanStott
QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jan 7 2007, 06:45 PM) *

Try Resteration Design they list a lower left and right firewall.

I have purchased all I good from Restoration Design, great quality parts, Bill at RD was great to deal with as well, he told me at that time he wasn't making that lower outer firewall piece anymore. I will check with him to see if things have changed.

Ian Stott
ws91420
He has pics posted on the web site did'nt try to see if it could be ordered though.
Mid_Engine_914
As far as I know that lower firewall section hasn't been available from Restoration Design for a long time now. I brought my car in to a local shop back in November to have the firewall and hell-hole rust repaired and he fabbed up his own metal patch panels for the firewall area. Here are some before and after pics (click on pics to enlarge).

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(IanStott @ Jan 7 2007, 06:43 AM) *

I am rustoring my 74, the outer lowewr firewall is just too fwar gone to repair so I was looking to see if I could get one. Bill at Restoration design doesn't make them anymore. Even used in decent shape is very acceptable. Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Hi Ian. Yes we do make the part but am sure that Bill makes it two and if you are happy dealing with him then I would recommend that you continue. We NEVER would want to take business away from any 914 manufacturer as we really appreciate anyone who makes 914 parts these days!
Of course there is another story about 914 sheet metal suppliers!
Instru-Mental
Hi Ian,

Is that the black chassis that you bought from freezing14? If so, my dad hauled it down to Moncton for you.

I have a stash of NOS and repro parts that I've been accumulating and think I have the part you are looking for. I'll double check and get back to you. If you don't need it ASAP I might be able to arrange cheap safe passage for it to Moncton.

Cheers

Todd
IanStott
[quote name='Instru-Mental' date='Jan 8 2007, 08:56 AM' post='844840']
Hi Ian,

Is that the black chassis that you bought from freezing14? If so, my dad hauled it down to Moncton for you.

I have a stash of NOS and repro parts that I've been accumulating and think I have the part you are looking for. I'll double check and get back to you. If you don't need it ASAP I might be able to arrange cheap safe passage for it to Moncton.

Cheers

Todd

Thanks Todd, I would appreciate that, and you are correct I don't need it yesterday. I wasn't home when your Dad dropped off the black body, I was in New Jersey so I didn't get to meet him. I am willing to pay you for the part, did you want me to call you to arrange payment and other details? I would be interested in some other items, we could talk about that.
I got the impression from the Auto Atlanta guy I couldn't buy from him as I had bought some parts from Restoration Design and there is some kind of bad blood between them so he is not interested in selling me anything. I really didn't know how to respond to that.

Ian Stott
Bartlett 914
[quote name='IanStott' date='Jan 8 2007, 04:22 PM' post='845050']
[quote name='Instru-Mental' date='Jan 8 2007, 08:56 AM' post='844840']
Hi Ian,

Cheers

Todd

Thanks Todd, I would appreciate that, and you are correct I don't need it yesterday. I wasn't home when your Dad dropped off the black body, I was in New Jersey so I didn't get to meet him. I am willing to pay you for the part, did you want me to call you to arrange payment and other details? I would be interested in some other items, we could talk about that.
I got the impression from the Auto Atlanta guy I couldn't buy from him as I had bought some parts from Restoration Design and there is some kind of bad blood between them so he is not interested in selling me anything. I really didn't know how to respond to that.

Ian Stott
[/quote]

I have been following your thread because I am about to do the same repair. I think you read George wrong unless there was something else said between you two. I think he was only saying he wasn't trying to take business from resto. I am sure he will sell to you. I am not sure exactly when I can post pictures of my progress but I will as soon as I have some (progress that is).
jd74914
AutoAtlanta makes it . . . he just said that if resto design does too and you like them buy it there because he doesn't want to take away their business.
nomore9one4
[quote name='IanStott' date='Jan 8 2007, 04:22 PM' post='845050']

Todd

Ian Stott

WTF.gif and you read that were? wacko.gif
Instru-Mental

Ian Stott
[/quote]

Ian,

PM your phone number and I'll give you a shout. My father will be travelling down this way in the near future (and heading back to Moncton). I have a number of duplicate parts. I can probably send a pic on Saturday (too busy through the week).

Cheers

Todd
IanStott
I e-mailed Auto Atlanta inquiring about that part, the reply indicated he didn't want to do business with people who had purchased from Restoration Design, I could forward that e-mail to you and you could give me your opinion, I didn't want to post it and start another war, I'm not into that, I just wanted to buy a part.

Ian Stott
tracks914
QUOTE(IanStott @ Jan 9 2007, 06:09 AM) *

I e-mailed Auto Atlanta inquiring about that part, the reply indicated he didn't want to do business with people who had purchased from Restoration Design, I could forward that e-mail to you and you could give me your opinion, I didn't want to post it and start another war, I'm not into that, I just wanted to buy a part.

Ian Stott

Ouch!!!!! ar15.gif

Hey Todd, what NOS parts do you still have. I might be interested some of them too.
Tx
nomore9one4

Ian Stott

I stand corrected! I apologize for my previous post. Bob beerchug.gif
Bartlett 914

Ian Stott

I am stunned! George has come here talking real nice and this kind of thing so soon! Come on George lets hear about this. Whats the deal!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 9 2007, 03:08 PM) *

Ian Stott

I am stunned! George has come here talking real nice and this kind of thing so soon! Come on George lets hear about this. Whats the deal!

don't get me wrong. We are in business to make money here and we have the part in stock and ready to ship it is 125.00. I do not however want to make my input of a commerical nature!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since Ian had already been dealing with Bill and Bill actually made these for us years ago, I knew that he would have them available for Ian and we DO NOT want to take business from anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do have a problem with Bill that I will discuss with anyone face to face. It was a bad one having to do with trust.
Ian if you want the part we will send it immediately. It is a perfect part to perfectly repair this area.
However my input here is not to be commerical! I love the cars, have devoted my life to them and consider myself the CHIEF 914 enthusiast!!!!!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 9 2007, 03:37 PM) *

Ian Stott

don't get me wrong. We are in business to make money here and we have the part in stock and ready to ship it is 125.00. I do not however want to make my input of a commerical nature!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since Ian had already been dealing with Bill and Bill actually made these for us years ago, I knew that he would have them available for Ian and we DO NOT want to take business from anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do have a problem with Bill that I will discuss with anyone face to face. It was a bad one having to do with trust.
Ian if you want the part we will send it immediately. It is a perfect part to perfectly repair this area.
However my input here is not to be commerical! I love the cars, have devoted my life to them and consider myself the CHIEF 914 enthusiast!!!!!

Hi George

Thanks for clearing that up (I hope that is it). I want one for 125.00. Your web site is 137.50 What does it take to insure I get one at that price?

tracks914
George, I have had nothing but good deals with you.
I have had nothing but good deals with Bill as well.
It must be tough to chat in here while being a car guy and a vendor.
That being said please continue to chat with us as your expertise is unparalled and continue to be as non biased as possible.
Just my 2 cents (although they aren't worth as much cause their Canadian $$)
Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 9 2007, 03:50 PM) *

Ian Stott

Hi George

Thanks for clearing that up (I hope that is it). I want one for 125.00. Your web site is 137.50 What does it take to insure I get one at that price?
because of the club discounts I am offering!!!!!!!!!! (I really do not want to be commercial here!!!!!!!)

Please also if when everyone calls if they would tell us that you are a 914 world member we will enter it onto your customer profile so that each time you call you will get preferential treatment. We WANT to be prejudice here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nomore9one4
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 9 2007, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jan 9 2007, 03:50 PM) *

Ian Stott

Hi George

because of the club discounts I am offering!!!!!!!!!! (I really do not want to be commercial here!!!!!!!)

Please also if when everyone calls if they would tell us that you are a 914 world member we will enter it onto your customer profile so that each time you call you will get preferential treatment. We WANT to be prejudice here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clap56.gif We will accept that!
Bartlett 914
Way Cool
IanStott
Thank you George for offering to sell me the part and for the club discount, I need quite a bit of stuff as I indicated in my initial e-mail. A fellow club member has indicated he has some stuff laying around and he is located in Canada so that helps a great deal re. customs/shipping. I expect him to call me this weekend as indicated in his e-mail, hopefully I will be able to shorten my need list and add to my " I've finally got the part list". My restoration hit a wall as I lost a big pile of my mad money on a bad investment, I'm not crying just letting fellow members know I am not procrastinating on getting er done! I had three in University plus one braces at that time si I'm sure you guys know where I'm coming from!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.