Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tire compounds to use for AX on loose asphalt and cold concrete?, what do you guys recommend?
nine14cats
post Jan 24 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Since we lost Alameda Naval Station and its wonderfully grippy concrete as an AX venue, it appears the majority of our AX's will be at Candlestick's loose asphalt and beer bottle surface and at Marina's cold concrete. Which AX tires would work at these venues?

I have a set of Kumho V710's for AX that should work at Marina's concrete. Last year when Randal and I ran the 911 there even with 2 drivers we couldn't get any heat in the Goodyear slicks with R250 compounds. Andrew Blyholder had the same problem. I felt the tires on someone that was running the V710's and they were much hotter and stickier.

For Candlestick, there is alot of loose debris and it's asphalt. The surface is generally cool there as well. Will the V710's work there or is it a waste and do I just run my heatcycled Victoracers from the track there? Or do Hoosiers work better on asphalt and beer bottles?

What's the stickiest tire for the given conditions:

1. Cold ambient temp, loose asphalt
2. Cold ambient temp, concrete with gravel in the paddock area.

Thanks,

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 11:10 PM