Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parts questions, Miniscule, but I want to know!
Pat Garvey
post Jan 26 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Two parts in question:

0122.129.637 - rubber elbow. I have eleven of these things, garnered through the years (6 new, 5 used). My parts manual indicates these are for 1.8's (I have a 1.7). Do they have a use on 1.7's? I couldn't find a link. Sorry, no pic's - my camera battery is dead.

Fuel rails - "fuel distributors", as the factory calls them - four spares (old). Started trying to clean up one of these today. Really uglt on the outside, but cleaned up OK. Then I realized that when I flushed water thru it, the water was going straight thru & not bleeding out of the injector inlets. Did some soaking (internal) with Naval Jelly & routed it out as best I could with a pipe cleaner. Lots of rust (maybe) or fuel residue (maybe) came out in chunks. Imagine hooking these up to your injectors! So, how do I rout this gunk out (I suspect it's rust)? Exterior cleaned up nicely (pic's when the camera comes back to life). Any ideas? I have a Dremel, with no flex wand (excuse to buy one?) but not certain it would fit.
Pat

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Jan 27 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I've got a five gallon bucket of some heavy duty cleaner. It will melt nitrile gloves (you can guess how I know). It's made for soaking carburator parts. I use SS safety wire and hang it in the bucket and everything comes out clean. It's not cheap, but it would last a long time in a home shop. Check your FLAPS.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jan 27 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(9146986 @ Jan 27 2007, 10:33 AM) *

I've got a five gallon bucket of some heavy duty cleaner. It will melt nitrile gloves (you can guess how I know). It's made for soaking carburator parts. I use SS safety wire and hang it in the bucket and everything comes out clean. It's not cheap, but it would last a long time in a home shop. Check your FLAPS.

Perry,

OK, I'm stupid! "FLAPS"? What's this mystery goo & how does one get rid of it when finished with it?
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 27 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #4

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Berryman's B9. AKA cancer in a bucket. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It does the job, but try not to breathe it and never even open it indoors.

FLAPS stands for Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

I think you'd have to go to a hazardous waste dump to get rid of it, but it's so potent that for occasional use it would last a lifetime. Heck, for heavy use it'd last a lifetime too, because you wouldn't live very long! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DonTraver
post Feb 5 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,461

I have a 1 gallon can of McKays Parts Cleaner, even comes with a parts bucket, takes everything off, even carbon. I've been carrying it around for years. Not sure you can even buy it anymore in Ca. Sounds a lot like the Berrymans stuff, don't even open it inside or handle without heavy rubber gloves.

Don
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 12:21 AM