Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Learned something new, tire temperatures
Randal
post Nov 26 2003, 07:15 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

[Yes. I have a problem with my tire engineer]

Actually I'd love to have someone out there telling me that I just drove way to hot into the hairpin. How to adjust tire pressures to make the car handle better.... now that would be unbelievable.

What I've found is that in the heat of battle it's very hard to slow down and figure out the best approach. AutoX certainty doesn't reward those that "slow down," but sometimes that is what you have to do (in certain place) to get faster.

This is especially true when your driving a 2.0 914 and chasing all the zoomie guys. You always have to drive smarter and faster, otherwise you simply get your butt kicked.

You know what is interesting - the amount of time it takes to really understand suspension stuff.

And just when you think you understand what does works, you go to another venue and the car doesn't work. Of course I admit making changes in between, but this kind of thing can drive you nuts. Next time someone tells me that a 260 compound will work about as good as a 210 in an AutoX situation...

What's the best advice you ever got from someone (in your camp) in an AutoX?

Mine: Look ahead. Breathing throughout the entire run.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 27 2003, 02:32 AM
Post #22

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 26 2003, 05:15 PM)

What's the best advice you ever got from someone (in your camp) in an AutoX?

I don't think there's any particular advice that has really stuck, except practice, practice, practice.

I do remember the answer to a semi-question....it may have been a whine.....that I uttered.
I had a hot dog drive the ulf for 2 AX sessions. On the second day I finnaly said something like...."where am I loosing time". He was 3-4 sec quicker. He said "Everywhere"........pretty hard to argue with that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I also like having a co-driver. Lottta that goes on at he Nationals and with good reason.

Having someone really good drive your car is a gud plan....if your ego can take it. It tells you exactly where the big problem is or if there is a problem with the car.....that's my experience, for what it's worth.
Doug said "the car is great" (translation: you're an oaf) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Compared to my regular co-driver, I have been getting better. At the start of the season, he was consistently 1.5-2 sec quicker . Now we're neck & neck......so there's hope.
I just hope he ain't slowing down.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:24 AM