Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Backfire, Simple question from a simple guy...
Coy
post Jan 31 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,537

Okay… This might sound stupid…

I just love 914s, but I’m not really that good at working on them. Sure I’ll do brakes and oil and tune-ups, door latches and stuff like that, but when it comes down to actual engine work I just don’t have the proper space or tools, and to be perfectly honest; when the garage is colder than 60 degrees I don’t even have the inclination to do it myself. I used to over haul a Harley every winter and to tell you the truth, I’m just old now; I don’t want to work in the cold. Ad to that the fact that I am totally self-taught as a mechanic and you’ll see that I’m not great at diagnostics, and that I can quickly get in over my head.

So… I have this intermittent exhaust backfire that comes and goes and I don’t know why. It frequently backfires when it’s cold starting before it gets warm, but that stops after just a minute or less.

The car was running great Sunday afternoon (no backfire) so I took it out and had a good time on a twisty little road not far from my house and I have to say… it was running like a champ (I’m tell’n you, I love this car).

So Monday I drive it downtown and it starts doing the back fire thing in earnest. Not only that, but the exhaust seems especially loud. It doesn’t backfire when the accelerator pump is squirting, but it does when it’s at a constant speed. You guys are all real smart; does an exhaust leak at the head have the potential to cause a backfire when the car is running at about 3000 rpm? It's a 2.0 with dual Webbers and hydraulic lifters.

I have other cars, so I’ll just wait till the floor is warmer before I crawl underneath it, but in the mean time does this make sense that it could just be an exhaust leak, or does that kind of crap happen when the carbs are out of sync too? I don’t know squat about dual carbs.

Also... Does anyone in the Portland/Salem area know of a shop with anyone who is epecially good with 914s that can diagnose?

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 03:38 PM