Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Creeping crud, what the hell is this stuff
Queenie
post Nov 23 2003, 12:51 PM
Post #21

Society Is A Hole

Group: Members
Member No.: 908

Thanks for the tips, Mike. I will discuss changing to a different weight oil with John Larson when I take the car in for an oil change. I should be able to do that sometime around the end of December or beginning of January. In the meantime, I will keep a close eye on it.

I would love to pull the engine and deal with this stuff right now but it's just not practical. This summer for sure, though: new pistons & cylinders at a minimum, valve guides if it turns out that I need them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 23 2003, 01:46 PM
Post #22

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Are the heater flaps and thermostat working?present? Could be long warmups for the engine are causing the h20 in the oil also.
Geoff
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Nov 23 2003, 01:57 PM
Post #23

Society Is A Hole

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 23 2003, 11:46 AM)
Are the heater flaps and thermostat working?present? Could be long warmups for the engine are causing the h20 in the oil also.

As far as I know they are there and working.

How long is a long warmup? I usually start the car and let it warm up while I brush my teeth & grab whatever I need before leaving, so it's warming for anywhere from three to five minutes.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 23 2003, 02:00 PM
Post #24

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Queenie, you need to get that oil and filter out of there now.
20 bucks worth of oil and filter now will put off that total rebuild far longer. I agree with MikeZ, single grade, non detergent oil. No pennzoil, no Quaker State. Use a german oil filter. Oh yes, an engine with lots of miles will need the oil changed on a more frequent basis.
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Nov 23 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #25

Society Is A Hole

I can't change the oil right now, unless you're willing to come over and do it for me. My mechanic is thirty miles away and I don't currently have anyone to help me out with rides to and from the shop after dropping the car off.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Nov 23 2003, 06:25 PM
Post #26

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Queenie, I wish I could help, but I'm a long way from there. On a scale of 1 to 10, changing oil is about a .01 on the difficulty scale. Much more satisfying to do it yourself!! I took my car to a Porsche mechanic for a lot of years till I figured out I could do it myself. So can you (if you want to)!!!!
+Quote Post
Queenie
post Nov 23 2003, 07:03 PM
Post #27

Society Is A Hole

I know it's not that difficult, but it's not something that I have any interest in doing. I know how stupid it sounds, and I know it puts me at a disadvantage, but honestly - I'd rather park the car and ride my bike.

When my ex-husband moves back to the area in January I will have not only someone who can (and will) come over to change my oil on short notice, but also someone to assist me in getting the car to the mechanic when I need to - someone who understands both what is involved in owning an old Porsche and what it means to me personally to own an old Porsche despite the occasional troubles they present, and won't think it burdensome to lend a hand. I just cannot impose on anyone else I know to help me with this stuff unless it's an absolute emergency.

I'm just really frustrated with the car right now. I even dreamt last night that I sold it and bought myself a beautiful dark grey early Beetle to drive.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Anyhow, I'm sorry to be so cranky. I probably need a nap.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
dgw
post Nov 23 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #28

Dennis Winter

Member No.: 106
Region Association: Northern California

The only time I ever saw that in a Porsche was when I put Penzoil in my 70 911. You can believe I switched back to valvoline in a hurry.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Nov 23 2003, 09:11 PM
Post #29

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Come to Santa Barbara...bring a case of Coors, case of oil....I have the filters....we can put it on the rack and take care of it.....

Off ALL next week....gotta do the famn damily stuff on Thursday....but everything else is cool....
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 04:58 PM