Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Creeping crud
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Queenie
I went to put some oil in the car this morning and I was greeted with another batch of this weird looking goo you see in the below photo. I've seen it a few times on the 914; I've been driving air coolers for 15 years and don't recall ever seeing it on any other car.

Any idea what it might be or where it might come from?
redshift
Looks like foaming insulation..

blink.gif

M
Kargeek
Don't know how it could happen but, looks like water in the oil. DH
rhodyguy
water (condesation) and oil? queenie? is your car a 1.8 w/fi? if so, would you post a picture of your fancy new engine? primarily the hoses.

kevin
seanery
doesn't that indicate that the car needs to be driven longer? short runs cause that?
krk
On a /6, it was called "porsche mayo" by Bruce Anderson. On the fall side of life, or on an infrequently driven 6, you get the whitish goo on the oil tank cap. It's moisture. If the car is drivenen often enough to bring it up to operating temps, the h20 will be "burned off".

kim.
Queenie
It's a 2.0 with FI and, tragically, I still have the same crappy old oil burning engine I've always had - which is going to need either valve guides or rings or an exorcism soon. I do, however, have all new hoses. I can try to take some pictures of it tomorrow morning if you want.

It seems to me that the times when I've seen this goo before have been after rainy periods. But it hasn't rained here for at least a week.
Queenie
I drive the hell out of the car. I did a 120-mile round trip last night to see a band.

If it's not dangerous, I won't worry about it. It just looks freaky.
rhodyguy
i thought the "ex" had just built an engine for you? i need 1.8 pictures. gotta lose the 2 BIG, ORANGE, hoses some one put on.

kevin
Queenie
All we did was pull the engine and clean it up. We didn't have a garage to work in, which is the main reason why we didn't pursue the valve guide thing. Working on that kind of stuff outdoors, without a proper workbench even, is really not the best way to do it.

Except for the oil burning, the engine is sound. I don't see any reason to rebuild the whole thing.
Bruce Allert
did'ja ever see the movie "The Blob"? old versoin & new wink.gif
bruce
Queenie
QUOTE(Bruce Allert @ Nov 22 2003, 05:29 PM)
did'ja ever see the movie "The Blob"?

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!! AIEEEE!!!!

laugh.gif
r_towle
I would recomend you change the oil and filter.
Remove the filler tube and clean it and the pcv system.

Change your oil to synthetic.

Ever since going to synthetic in mine I have never seen it occur again.

I believe the foam is from two reasons combined.

Short trips/moisture.
Hot running temps,,,possibly to hot..

Rich
redshift
The water comes from short trips, and it does raise your temps, and wear your rings.

M
East coaster
I recommend you use a condom.....hey we all love our 914s but it looks like you've taken it too far laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Queenie @ Nov 22 2003, 05:13 PM)
Any idea what it might be or where it might come from?

water in the oil ...

gotta drive her for a while so she get's really hot (like at least 1 hour, and don't be shy with the gas pedal).
only way to get it out.

oh, and btw. before you do that, change the oil!
Andy
Queenie
The car's not due for an oil change yet, and I'm not in a position to just drop it at the mechanic and have it done. It's going to have to wait until it's due, unless anyone can convince me that I'm going to destroy the engine by not having it done tomorrow.

Synthetic oil is not an option. I cannot afford it, especially not in an engine that burns a quart a week under heavy use. I use Castrol Syntec blend.

The car doesn't run hot according to the oil temp gauge...I don't know for sure how accurate it is, but I don't have any reason to believe that it's giving me bad information.

I'm not overly concerned about the wear to the rings at this point because I know I'm going to put new pistons and cylinders in the car sometime in the next year, probably in the next six or eight months.

I only drove it about twenty miles today...I'll look at it again tomorrow, and I will probably be doing a slightly longer drive then. Hopefully that will burn it off.

I apologize if I seem ungrateful for anyone's information...I'm just not in a position to do some of what's suggested. In a perfect world it would all get dealt with immediately if not sooner but I don't live in a perfect world and I have to get by with what I've got - which ain't much.
rhodyguy
queenie, you live in san luis obispo(sp)? near the ocean? if so high moisture content in the air could be compounding the prob.

kevin
Queenie
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Nov 23 2003, 05:05 AM)
queenie, you live in san luis obispo(sp)? near the ocean? if so high moisture content in the air could be compounding the prob.

kevin

Yeah, Kevin. Pretty close to the ocean although not right on the coast...and I don't have a garage. sad.gif
Joe Bob
Yeah, change the oil when you have a chance. Remove and clean the filler neck. I don't recommend using synthetic oil on an older air cooled engine. Tends to make any leaks you have worse.....

Since you live in a benign weather area, switching to a straight heavy viscosity oil will help on reducing smoke and burning oil. I have used straight 40 and sometimes 50w on older worn motors.
Queenie
Thanks for the tips, Mike. I will discuss changing to a different weight oil with John Larson when I take the car in for an oil change. I should be able to do that sometime around the end of December or beginning of January. In the meantime, I will keep a close eye on it.

I would love to pull the engine and deal with this stuff right now but it's just not practical. This summer for sure, though: new pistons & cylinders at a minimum, valve guides if it turns out that I need them.
Bleyseng
Are the heater flaps and thermostat working?present? Could be long warmups for the engine are causing the h20 in the oil also.
Geoff
Queenie
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 23 2003, 11:46 AM)
Are the heater flaps and thermostat working?present? Could be long warmups for the engine are causing the h20 in the oil also.

As far as I know they are there and working.

How long is a long warmup? I usually start the car and let it warm up while I brush my teeth & grab whatever I need before leaving, so it's warming for anywhere from three to five minutes.
TheCabinetmaker
Queenie, you need to get that oil and filter out of there now.
20 bucks worth of oil and filter now will put off that total rebuild far longer. I agree with MikeZ, single grade, non detergent oil. No pennzoil, no Quaker State. Use a german oil filter. Oh yes, an engine with lots of miles will need the oil changed on a more frequent basis.
Queenie
I can't change the oil right now, unless you're willing to come over and do it for me. My mechanic is thirty miles away and I don't currently have anyone to help me out with rides to and from the shop after dropping the car off.
TheCabinetmaker
Queenie, I wish I could help, but I'm a long way from there. On a scale of 1 to 10, changing oil is about a .01 on the difficulty scale. Much more satisfying to do it yourself!! I took my car to a Porsche mechanic for a lot of years till I figured out I could do it myself. So can you (if you want to)!!!!
Queenie
I know it's not that difficult, but it's not something that I have any interest in doing. I know how stupid it sounds, and I know it puts me at a disadvantage, but honestly - I'd rather park the car and ride my bike.

When my ex-husband moves back to the area in January I will have not only someone who can (and will) come over to change my oil on short notice, but also someone to assist me in getting the car to the mechanic when I need to - someone who understands both what is involved in owning an old Porsche and what it means to me personally to own an old Porsche despite the occasional troubles they present, and won't think it burdensome to lend a hand. I just cannot impose on anyone else I know to help me with this stuff unless it's an absolute emergency.

I'm just really frustrated with the car right now. I even dreamt last night that I sold it and bought myself a beautiful dark grey early Beetle to drive.

blink.gif

Anyhow, I'm sorry to be so cranky. I probably need a nap.

smile.gif
dgw
The only time I ever saw that in a Porsche was when I put Penzoil in my 70 911. You can believe I switched back to valvoline in a hurry.
Joe Bob
Come to Santa Barbara...bring a case of Coors, case of oil....I have the filters....we can put it on the rack and take care of it.....

Off ALL next week....gotta do the famn damily stuff on Thursday....but everything else is cool....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.