Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 914's in Wisconsin, up nort der hey one time
wbergtho
post Feb 7 2007, 01:11 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 623

Don't ever drive a 914 in the snow! I have some experience with this. I drove a 71 914 back from CA a few years ago and encountered the mother of all snow storms in the mountains. I'm glad to still be alive today. Poor heat...and extremely vulnerable when you get hit by a semi sliding through an intersection into your driver's door! Drive in the summer only! Rick is right....salt=death.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 7 2007, 01:21 AM
Post #22

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

QUOTE(STL914 @ Feb 6 2007, 06:00 PM) *

Here's a quick Cheesehead quiz:

What is a bubbler?

What is Sheepshead?

Oh, and don't forget the Kraut for the brats!

A bubbler - One of those water dispensers with the inverted water bottle.

A Sheepshead - A stout beer (Ale, one of those dark ones)

I spent a couple of winters up there.
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Feb 7 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #23

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 7 2007, 12:11 AM) *

Don't ever drive a 914 in the snow! I have some experience with this. I drove a 71 914 back from CA a few years ago and encountered the mother of all snow storms in the mountains. I'm glad to still be alive today. Poor heat...and extremely vulnerable when you get hit by a semi sliding through an intersection into your driver's door! Drive in the summer only! Rick is right....salt=death.

It's all about the tires. These cars do well in the snow with PROPER tires. You are not going anywhere in ES100s in the snow.

They also handle salt and corrosive ice-prevention chemicals poorly.
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 7 2007, 01:27 AM
Post #24

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 6 2007, 11:11 PM) *

I drove one as a daily driver year round for about 4 years. (until I got out of school and could afford a beater car) Just keep the salt washed out of your fenders (or never let it melt).

My stainless heat exchangers were enough to make you open the windows after they got hot. The worst part is the defroster. When you drive a 914 in the winter, you learn not to breathe. As far as traction goes, a stock 914 with stock tires can do amazingly well if you are careful. I never got stuck or hit.
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 7 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #25

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 7 2007, 01:11 AM) *

Previous posters are correct. With the proper tires, the 914 performs wonderfully in the snow. On dry, wet or icy roads, our cars are still so well balanced that they don't fishtail, etc.

A few years back, I drove from Iowa to Virginia in January... taking the PA turnpike. It was snow over ice, and not once did I ever feel the car was out of control.

Of course, I'm always paranoid when there are big semis around me, winter or summer. Our cars are just soooo small. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
736conver
post Feb 7 2007, 08:26 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

QUOTE(John @ Feb 7 2007, 01:21 AM) *

QUOTE(STL914 @ Feb 6 2007, 06:00 PM) *

Here's a quick Cheesehead quiz:

What is a bubbler?

What is Sheepshead?

Oh, and don't forget the Kraut for the brats!

A bubbler - One of those water dispensers with the inverted water bottle.

A Sheepshead - A stout beer (Ale, one of those dark ones)

I spent a couple of winters up there.

John,

Are you sure you spent a couple of winters up here. Both those answer are wrong.
+Quote Post
ChrisPaegelow
post Feb 7 2007, 08:32 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 7,502

haha!
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Feb 7 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #28

Dumb Question Champion

Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I thought a Sheapshead was a fish. And a bubbler? Well, that conjures up foggy college memories that I'll just keep to myself.
+Quote Post
gopack
post Feb 7 2007, 08:55 AM
Post #29

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

hint sheepshead = Schafkopf
and
the bubbler was invented by Kohler company in 1888

I hate to say this, as a loyal Packer Backer (and season ticket holder), but I hated to see the Bears show who they really are ala Dennis Green!
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 7 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #30

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 7 2007, 06:26 AM) *

John,

Are you sure you spent a couple of winters up here. Both those answer are wrong.

Really,

That's what they were calling them in Milwaukee

Milwaukee Ale House

And, since the type of water fountains that they had in the factories I was in, I assumed that is why they called them bubblers. (the bubbles that rise up).

We spent more time drinking than fishing anyway.

+Quote Post
gopack
post Feb 7 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #31

CHEESEHEAD in CA, MARK

Member No.: 2,472
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(John @ Feb 7 2007, 09:01 AM) *

QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 7 2007, 06:26 AM) *

John,

Really,

That's what they were calling them in Milwaukee

Milwaukee Ale House

And, since the type of water fountains that they had in the factories I was in, I assumed that is why they called them bubblers. (the bubbles that rise up).

We spent more time drinking than fishing anyway.

if'n you'se were to read your own link ting, hey, you'se see the answer to the sheepshead question. Ya hey!

My favorite wisconsin quote? "trow me over da bar, a beer der hey".
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 7 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #32

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(gopack @ Feb 7 2007, 07:23 AM) *

if'n you'se were to read your own link ting, hey, you'se see the answer to the sheepshead question. Ya hey!

My favorite wisconsin quote? "trow me over da bar, a beer der hey".

Hey, we didn't do much READING or playing CARDS while I was there either. I knew I wasn't imagining drinking that stuff.

+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 7 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 623

Hell...you can drive a uni cycle in the snow if you want. My point is you are "spam in a can" when you get hit in one of these fun little SUMMER cars! And they rust to beat hell!
+Quote Post
STL914
post Feb 7 2007, 12:10 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,271
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yep, a card game and a drinking fountain. When I went down to Louisiana for basic training I found out that Sheepshead was not know outside of Wiscinsin. The guys down there had a different game they played with sheep: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
PinetreePorsche
post Feb 7 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 5,124

QUOTE(John @ Feb 6 2007, 11:27 PM) *

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 6 2007, 11:11 PM) *

I drove one as a daily driver year round for about 4 years. (until I got out of school and could afford a beater car) Just keep the salt washed out of your fenders (or never let it melt).

My stainless heat exchangers were enough to make you open the windows after they got hot. The worst part is the defroster. When you drive a 914 in the winter, you learn not to breathe. As far as traction goes, a stock 914 with stock tires can do amazingly well if you are careful. I never got stuck or hit.

If your defrost can't keep up once the motor warms up--4 or5 minutes--(yeah, its a small volume of air, so it will super- saturate quickly), either your fan isn't working, your hoses from the fan are not right and tight, or the heater flaps in those little triangular flap-boxes aren't opening all the way. At 2000 rpm your forehead should be getting hot from the def. vents. If you're in the far, far north, wrap the paper/metalic foil flexi-hoses with thin foam insulation, and tape them to the tubes at the ends. End of problem. I got heat in Boston from 10-year old VW vans with those bogus heater boxes-- enough to shed the jacket on a longer run. If they can do it, your 914 can.
+Quote Post
John
post Feb 7 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #36

member? what's a member?

QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Feb 7 2007, 10:24 AM) *

If your defrost can't keep up once the motor warms up--4 or5 minutes--(yeah, its a small volume of air, so it will super- saturate quickly), either your fan isn't working, your hoses from the fan are not right and tight, or the heater flaps in those little triangular flap-boxes aren't opening all the way. At 2000 rpm your forehead should be getting hot from the def. vents. If you're in the far, far north, wrap the paper/metalic foil flexi-hoses with thin foam insulation, and tape them to the tubes at the ends. End of problem. I got heat in Boston from 10-year old VW vans with those bogus heater boxes-- enough to shed the jacket on a longer run. If they can do it, your 914 can.

I suppose I should have made that more clear. When driving before the heat exchangers get hot, and it is ASS FREEZING cold out, you will frost the INSIDE of your windshield. So you learn not to breathe. After it warms up, it is a non-issue and you must let cool air in or you will roast to death. I never warmed my car up prior to taking off as it was too cold to wait. I would get in and drive.

Anyone notice how slippery the frozen stock seat bottoms seem?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 03:34 PM