Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine bay fuel line clamps, what type
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Feb 6 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,727

In the refurbishing of the engine bay, I began wondering about the clamps on the fuel lines. The originals, as I recall, were what I call "tension" clamps, sort of "spring loaded" by virue of their shape. I have something similar on my old motorcycle fuel petcock. What they have been replaced with over the years are the typical screwdriver-tightened "hose clamp". The P+A dealer sez the hose clamp is definitely better as they can be "tightened" and don't loose "tension" like the OEM do/did. I don't ever remember the originals getting "weak", as I remember it, they were a nuisance to get off in the first place because they were both so tight, and awkward to access to release the tension they held on the hose.

I'm assuming that the old syle clamps can still be gotten somewhere.

I know what's original here, I'm wondering what's better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Feb 6 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #2

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 6 2007, 10:13 AM) *

In the refurbishing of the engine bay, I began wondering about the clamps on the fuel lines. The originals, as I recall, were what I call "tension" clamps, sort of "spring loaded" by virue of their shape. I have something similar on my old motorcycle fuel petcock. What they have been replaced with over the years are the typical screwdriver-tightened "hose clamp". The P+A dealer sez the hose clamp is definitely better as they can be "tightened" and don't loose "tension" like the OEM do/did. I don't ever remember the originals getting "weak", as I remember it, they were a nuisance to get off in the first place because they were both so tight, and awkward to access to release the tension they held on the hose.

Hate to put pressure on you, but remember it's not original unless you use them. I think they may still be available from the Porsche dealer.

Between you & me I would upgrade to a safety/practical installation with fuel lines, (my opinion).

Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 6 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 6 2007, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Feb 6 2007, 10:13 AM) *

Hate to put pressure on you, but remember it's not original unless you use them. I think they may still be available from the Porsche dealer.

Between you & me I would upgrade to a safety/practical installation with fuel lines, (my opinion).

Tom

Tom,

I think what Paul is referring to are the clamps used to mount the fuel lines to the injectors. I say this because your pic is that of the clamps that hold the lines in place.

The original clamps that sealed the rubber/cloth fuel ine to the injectors was a crimp-on type claamp - not adjustable. On my 914, these were replaced with screw compression clamps when Porsche did the fuel line recall ('74?). They still work prefectly today & are very small.

Wish I could show a picture, but it's 28 degrees in my garage (5 degrees outside) & I'm a sissy.
Pat
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 7 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You can get the proper FI fuel line clamps anywhere, cheap. The usual ones are gold plated (nice like oem) but slightly deeper than oem. big deal they don't cut the fuel line like the crappy gasline screw hose clamps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

Next item is what fuel line are you using? I prefer the rubber coated High pressure hose from Porsche or Pelican Parts. You can save your old fuel line sheath too and reinstall it so it look oem but is safer. AA sells the preformed elbows that were part of the recall. don't use the fabic hose that comes on the injectors as it cracks in short order spraying gas all over the place! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 7 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Geoff, my 80K mile '76 still has the original hose on the injectors. What do I do and how?
Looks like a bitch to get the injectors out with the extra EGR plumbing in place (first time I have had a 914 with EGR, but it is plugged and not operative).
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 7 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #6

Aircooled Baby!

If its still original seals and the nonrecall fi hose order the injector (inner and outer) seals and the recall supplied special formed elbows from AA. cut the fabric hose off the injector and replace it! Use the special FI hose clamps to clamp it to the injector and fuel rails. This can't be a Concours deduct cuz thats the factory recall method. Hopefully the other fi fuel line has been replaced or do it now like I posted keeping the special sheath and replacing the fuel lines before you have a fire. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Feb 7 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #7

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Thanks. The other lines in the engine compartment have been recently replaced with the fabric covered lines (hope high pressure!). The old lines came in the trunk, very hard rubber hoses. No sheath at all. I have dealer work order from 1977 stating "fuel line recall", N/C. Maybe I don't have the original hose on the injectors but it is old. Better look more closely.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 11 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 7 2007, 12:38 PM) *

You can get the proper FI fuel line clamps anywhere, cheap. The usual ones are gold plated (nice like oem) but slightly deeper than oem. big deal they don't cut the fuel line like the crappy gasline screw hose clamps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

Next item is what fuel line are you using? I prefer the rubber coated High pressure hose from Porsche or Pelican Parts. You can save your old fuel line sheath too and reinstall it so it look oem but is safer. AA sells the preformed elbows that were part of the recall. don't use the fabic hose that comes on the injectors as it cracks in short order spraying gas all over the place! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

Hey Geoff!

I don't hang around too many parts places, so where can these clamps be gotten? And how are they crimped into place?

Checked PP, PerfProd & AA - no listings for these. Where?!
Pat
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 11 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

use these
http://www.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?b...ocation_id=2959

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 12 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 11 2007, 10:55 PM) *

Here I go again getting confused. What your showing is what I have, from the recall program in 1976?

I thought you mean that there was a source for the "original" pressure clamps - the ones that had no adjustment. They were a metal band with a locking tab, apparently applied with some sort of crimping tool.

Don't really want them, since they were a bitch to remove. The ones you're talking about work perfectly & have for over 30 years on my car. Sorry for my confusion.
Pat
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Feb 13 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #11

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439

AFAIK the recall is still active, and if the car has never had the (HO I think) recall performed, then in theory it could be done free at a Porsche dealer. Worth checking out anyway.

The factory style hose clamps aren't that much more than the worm screw type. One of the few Porsche parts that shouldn't come with a kiss.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 13 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

Yes, those clamps style fuel line clamps can be sourced but who wants them! The "Factory Recall" replaced the fuel lines and the pictured injector elbows and used the proper Fuel injection hose clamp. Those screw type clamp digs into the hose resulting in leaks, never use those.

For Concour judging, the proper fuel line, elbows and clamps per the recall should be considered as "factory" IMHO.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 13 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 13 2007, 12:36 PM) *

Yes, those clamps style fuel line clamps can be sourced but who wants them! The "Factory Recall" replaced the fuel lines and the pictured injector elbows and used the proper Fuel injection hose clamp. Those screw type clamp digs into the hose resulting in leaks, never use those.

For Concour judging, the proper fuel line, elbows and clamps per the recall should be considered as "factory" IMHO.

I agree! That's what my original point was. The "campaign" parts are better & I've never seen a gig for having them. It's like the early 911's with hydropneumatic suspension - even Porsche recommended trashing it and PCA specifically recommended it & denounced points reduction for the refit.
+Quote Post
914Rookie
post Feb 14 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,033

This may be wishful thinking... but how long is a re-call good for ? I'm wondering if my '75 2.0 has had the service done and secondly if I can just stroll into my local Porsche Dealership and have them perform recall number 77V105000, replacing all my fuel hose for free !. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks,

Greg
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 14 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

OEM style for $.69 each
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=311133515
+Quote Post
MrKona
post Feb 14 2007, 07:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,469

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Feb 14 2007, 08:57 AM) *

I bought these, very nice, great deal in my opinion.

Speaking of good deals, I just took a chance today and ordered 4 fuel hose elbows, but not the Porsche elbows from Auto Atlanta. ~$13.00 EACH is too rich for me. Instead, I ordered 4 BMW fuel hose elbows, BMW part # 16121176821 from this place: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

$2.93 each. I believe they should be 7mm I'll let you know how they fit once I receive them.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...M&siteid=26

I found the part number from this website:

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/fuelhose/fuelhose.html
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Feb 14 2007, 08:42 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(914Rookie @ Feb 14 2007, 11:50 AM) *

This may be wishful thinking... but how long is a re-call good for ? I'm wondering if my '75 2.0 has had the service done and secondly if I can just stroll into my local Porsche Dealership and have them perform recall number 77V105000, replacing all my fuel hose for free !. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks,

Greg

The recall is still active for all 914's that haven't had it performed. Your local dealer should be able to tell you if your VIN has/has not been done. If is has been done (probably), they'll probably try to sell you another redo, and that's not a bad thing. If it hasn't, they'll do it. They don't care - get the cost from Porsche.
Find out - it's important
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 15 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #18

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Feb 14 2007, 06:42 PM) *

The recall is still active for all 914's that haven't had it performed. Your local dealer should be able to tell you if your VIN has/has not been done. If is has been done (probably), they'll probably try to sell you another redo, and that's not a bad thing. If it hasn't, they'll do it. They don't care - get the cost from Porsche.
Find out - it's important

I know I have seen somewhere or heard here, that the recalls for 914s are no longer being honored. Something about 'reasonable time' or 'parts NLA opr something. The dealer network can verify if your vehicle has had the recall though.

The 914 fuel line recall was recall campaign HO.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/Recalls.htm

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 15 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #19

Aircooled Baby!

mine didn't have the HO sticker nor did it have FI when I got it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
914Rookie
post Feb 15 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,033

Jeff, not Geoff, (but thank Geoff also !)

Thanks for the link, I think I'll print out the official recall notice and drop on into the Porsche Dealership and see how many jaws drop on the floor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) when I ask for the HO recall service. I'll keep you posted, should happen sometime next week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thanks,

Greg
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:12 AM