Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine bay fuel line clamps, what type
Pat Garvey
post Mar 8 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #41

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 7 2007, 10:17 PM) *

So again Pat, why do they have tobe fabric covered as the Factory Recall campaign installed rubber covered hose and 90' injector elbows? It seems like you actually would be docked points for being incorrect for having fabric covered hoses and non 90' injector hose.

Sounds like you are creating something that isn't correct.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

OK....allright....I give (slightly). I will NOT use fabric covered hose - for the injectors. OK? But, I will TRY to bend my own. Why? Because I want to & have nothing to lose. They don't work - fine. But, someone molds them to the 90 degree elbow. Why can't I? We'll see.

But you've convinced me to "alter" my thoughts a little. Will I put that stupid, hacked up Audi battery cover back on? No way! I'll use the original (provided it fits on whatever battery I have to use).

ALL the rest of the lines will be fabric covered. They look period. And...I like them, so there! PPPFFFBBBBTT!

You guys know I'm kidding (about PPPFFFBBBTT). I appreciate all of your input, wrong as it may be.
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 8 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #42

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Mar 8 2007, 11:07 AM) *

I think Pat is trying to make a 1972 914 "time capsule". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Pualie, Paulie, Paulie!

I didn't make the time capsule. The Germans did. I'm only trying to keep it from being ruined (or, as they say here in Philly - "roont").

You're not rying to make a 1970 time capsule?

Just trying to keep it the way it has been since I got it in late summer of 1972. Yeah, I'm anal about it - for this 914! Wait 'till the next one - 180 degrees away!

Already have it planned. Soon as the '73 911T is gone, I'm on the hunt for a serious west coast tub. I'll probably be banned from this forum.

But....the '72 will remain a "time capsule".

BTW...they SAY that you can't turbo a 914. Hint.
Pat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 8 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #43

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I knock off a few points "if" I were judging your car.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 9 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #44

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 8 2007, 11:04 PM) *

I knock off a few points "if" I were judging your car.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

How can you knock off points for something displayed as "as delivered"?

Early 911E's were delivered with hydropneumatic struts. They were a nightmare. Yes, it was regarded as an acceptable replacement if they were changed to conventional struts, but no points can be deducted if they weren't - because it's "as delivered".

Other issues come to mind, such things as Lucas electrics in an early Brit car, but my point remains this - a purist concours car is one displayed as closely to "as delivered" status. These cars remain as mileposts for those that followed, and should be kept as original as possible. Yep, I've had to make a couple of adjustments to a couple of things through the years, because of parts inavailabilty, but I try to keep my '72 as it was. If the original parts are still available, I'll use them regardless of cost.

My 914 has had less than 20 thousand miles put on it in the last 33 years. I watch over it like it was my child. I'm not going to jeopardize it in any way. Safety checks are ongoing, as always.

So, gig me if you wish for not having "contemporary" fuel lines. But, I'll protest & bet I win.

No malcontent meant. Opinion of the writer only.

Pat
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 9 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #45

Aircooled Baby!

Here are the OEM fabric injectors for a 2.0L and a pic of the Recall formed injector hose just for you Pat.
Notice how the OEM injectors are formed too! The rubber replacement hose also has the proper Porsche recall clamp.

IMHO its either with the Bosch supplied fabric hose (yuck) or the recall formed elbow.

I am a pain in the ass aren't I? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 9 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #46

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Back to an earlier unanswered question: How do you duplicate the crimped connection to the injector?
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Mar 10 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #47

Aircooled Baby!

you can't that I know of. There is a way to do the crimps on the fuel line thou.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 10 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #48

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 9 2007, 10:29 PM) *

Here are the OEM fabric injectors for a 2.0L and a pic of the Recall formed injector hose just for you Pat.
Notice how the OEM injectors are formed too! The rubber replacement hose also has the proper Porsche recall clamp.

IMHO its either with the Bosch supplied fabric hose (yuck) or the recall formed elbow.

Nope, sorry, not a PIA. Remember, this is a forum - all place for all ideas to be put forth. In fact, I've gotten a lot from your postings!

And, just to show that I'm only 99.9995% anal about this thing, you've convinced me to go with the elbows (already have the clamps, from BusDepot). Now, with that in mind, someone (maybe you) said there was a (shudder!) BMW source el cheapo for these things. True?

But, I'm still going with fabric-covered for the rest.
Pat
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 10 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #49

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Here you go Pat

I bought these, very nice, great deal in my opinion.

Speaking of good deals, I just took a chance today and ordered 4 fuel hose elbows, but not the Porsche elbows from Auto Atlanta. ~$13.00 EACH is too rich for me. Instead, I ordered 4 BMW fuel hose elbows, BMW part # 16121176821 from this place: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

$2.93 each. I believe they should be 7mm I'll let you know how they fit once I receive them.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...M&siteid=26

I found the part number from this website:

http://www.firstfives.org/faq/fuelhose/fuelhose.html
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Mar 10 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 3,925

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 10 2007, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Mar 9 2007, 10:29 PM) *

Nope, sorry, not a PIA. Remember, this is a forum - all place for all ideas to be put forth. In fact, I've gotten a lot from your postings!

And, just to show that I'm only 99.9995% anal about this thing, you've convinced me to go with the elbows (already have the clamps, from BusDepot). Now, with that in mind, someone (maybe you) said there was a (shudder!) BMW source el cheapo for these things. True?

But, I'm still going with fabric-covered for the rest.
Pat

You know, if money's no object, you can get the original (as it left the factory) by buying new fuel injectors. Every one I've ever seen come with the braided elbow hoses already clamped to the injector with the big momma clamps....
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Nov 3 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #51

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Just to throw a philosophical wrench into the works: As I recall, cars that have had the HO campaign will have the smooth hose throughout the engine compartment. If your car has had the campaign, then it has to have that hose to be correct. Whay say you?

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Nov 3 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #52

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 3 2007, 01:49 PM) *

Just to throw a philosophical wrench into the works: As I recall, cars that have had the HO campaign will have the smooth hose throughout the engine compartment. If your car has had the campaign, then it has to have that hose to be correct. Whay say you?

The Cap'n

True, I suppose. But what if you want to retro? Since I'm one who believes the campaign was not necessary, if you take proper precautions/care, I'd prefer my 914 to be in as-delivered condition. Never had a problem, though I did have the campaign performed - since gone back to retro. The cobbled up mess of a battery cover did nothing to make a difference, so I went back to original. Nothing on my 914 indicates (other than my records) that the campaign was ever performed.

So, I'll stay with my fuzzy lines. Besides, they match (other than colors) the vacuum lines & I like it.

Curmudgeon? Yeah, you could say that.
Pat
+Quote Post
AvalonFal
post Dec 7 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Anybody else use these BMW hoses on a 914 FI? Do they fit...work OK??
+Quote Post
slackin' at work
post Dec 8 2007, 07:40 AM
Post #54

i should be working

Member No.: 8,215
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(AvalonFal @ Dec 7 2007, 12:12 PM) *

Anybody else use these BMW hoses on a 914 FI? Do they fit...work OK??

I read this thread a week or so ago and saw the BMW hoses. I jumped on
it because they are over $10 cheaper a piece.

I received them the other day and the bend radius is a perfect match.
they are a little longer than original, so I will probably trim them a little
on each end to match the originals. ID seems right-on as well.

I have yet to actually put them into service but that shouldn't be in issue.

all-in-all, I feel like I stumbled onto some good advice from this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
JFJ914
post Dec 8 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #55

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 814
Region Association: South East States

Another wrench, if originality is of importance, how can you use hose clamps without the VW logo embossed on them? Both the HO radiused clamps and the pre HO flat clamps have "GEMI" , 13, and VW embossed on them. All of the HO hose had VW and the hose size 7 x 3 and date code printed on it. If anal retentivity ( spell that CONCOURS) is the game original means original not Bus Boys, not BMW, not anything but period correct original. Pat has a better chance at original with the fabric covered hose if he sources brand new injectors with the factory crimp and restores ORIGINAL hose clamps w/SILVER cad as the original clanps were silver not gold. I for one cannot be bothered with concours although I do have dealer supplied HO hose, bent elbows and Yellow GEMI 13 (no VW) hose clamps.
+Quote Post
euro911
post May 23 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #56

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300
Region Association: Southern California

The economic pinch has set in ... the BMW elbows have sky-rocketed to an astounding price of $3.06 each ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

They'll work fine in my old DD (the 'BB') (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 6 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #57

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 23 2008, 10:11 PM) *

The economic pinch has set in ... the BMW elbows have sky-rocketed to an astounding price of $3.06 each ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

They'll work fine in my old DD (the 'BB') (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Request an update of this factory fuel lines/battery recall.....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

So according to the Porsche HO Battery/Fuel Lines Recall posts above - so long as mine never had it done - I can go to my local dealer here in Orange County, CA & have them do it????

[b]Was the guy above successful in having them do his, or did the dealer just waffle & claim that they cannot get the parts? &/or has anyone else been successful recently?[/b] (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

If they cannot get the Porsche OEM parts, can they be forced to do it under Federal law &/or US-DOT regs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) & use some of these alt. parts/sources listed here (i.e.: from BMW, AA, PP, Peli, etc.) where OEM/OES parts aren't available to do this recall work?

Anyone here in SoCal want to recommend which local dealer is most HONEST, reliable & does quality work for this type of recall fix? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'd used Chick Iverson in Newport Beach "back in the day" - but we used to call them "Gyp" Iverson (sp?) for a good reason, and they're no longer the owners. They're now call Newport P/A, & then other local choices are: Circle P/A/VW in Long Beach, & several Rusnak locations - but which one(s) is/are best??

I've owned the 2L since 12/85 (2nd owner - I think), & don't think that it was ever done by the PO/OO. I never did it because I switched to using the sealed batteries when I did my first replacement in 76-77. ...maybe now is the perfect time to "get a round tuit" - because....

Man - this could save me significant dollars in bringing my 73 2L out of storage sine 5/85! I'd only have to replace the rubber fuel lines & parts "north of" the engine bay!

If so - Whooopie! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

And a HUGE THANX to all of you posting on this & the other threads. I've been reading thru all of them as applicable to my project, & have learned so much - parts, alts. sources & techniques, as well as probably saving some coin (& my marriage) in the process. This is a Gold Mine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Someone ought to distill these 10,000's of threads & posts into book form & publish it, & then the proceeds maybe could be used to reduce our (free) dues.....!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Of course - something like that could help fund a big annual or biannual event.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

A very grateful...
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Apr 6 2009, 05:20 PM
Post #58

Member No.: 2,943

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 9 2007, 09:29 PM) *

Back to an earlier unanswered question: How do you duplicate the crimped connection to the injector?

Oetiker makes the crimp-on clamps. Every fuel fitting in my entire car, save the two on the fuel filter, is done with these clamps. Due to the different sized lines, you'll need two different clamps. The clamps and the tool are available from McMaster-Carr.

12.3 to 14.5mm clamp McMaster #52545K53 $8.48/25
13.2 to 15.7mm clamp McMaster #52545K54 $8.53/25
side-jaw pincer tool McMaster #6541K69 $24.63/ea

You CW types should be aware that the PNs above are for clamps that are similar to but not exactly the same as the factory clamps. They differ slightly to allow more consistent radial clamping load under the clamping "ear". I believe, though, that McMaster may also sell the std type clamp. Here's a pic. The big size is what I use for the CV boots.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 6 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #59

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

The clamps on the injectors in our '71 looked different than those. Some of them had the cloth covered hoses, and some just rubber hoses too, so I don't know if they were OEM or not (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I used a Dremel tool to cut the 'original'? clamps off when it was time to replace the old hoses.

I didn't even bother to look for that type ... just used the worm screw type (they were German replacement clamps though) ... the same type that were on all the other hoses (at the pump, pressure regulator, etc.)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 7 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #60

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 3 2007, 08:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 3 2007, 01:49 PM) *

The Cap'n

True, I suppose. But what if you want to retro? Since I'm one who believes the campaign was not necessary, if you take proper precautions/care, I'd prefer my 914 to be in as-delivered condition. Never had a problem, though I did have the campaign performed - since gone back to retro. The cobbled up mess of a battery cover did nothing to make a difference, so I went back to original. Nothing on my 914 indicates (other than my records) that the campaign was ever performed.

So, I'll stay with my fuzzy lines. Besides, they match (other than colors) the vacuum lines & I like it.

Curmudgeon? Yeah, you could say that.
Pat

As an update on this ancient post, I have bent to safety. Yes, the original battery cover will stay, but the injector elbows are about to be replaced with safer ones.

I bend to safety, since mine are leaking like a sieve! Also have nice, new Witctchunter injectors & seal, so the time is right.
Pat
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:59 PM