Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine bay fuel line clamps, what type
Tom_T
post Apr 7 2009, 08:37 PM
Post #61

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 6 2009, 01:36 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 23 2008, 10:11 PM) *

The economic pinch has set in ... the BMW elbows have sky-rocketed to an astounding price of $3.06 each ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

They'll work fine in my old DD (the 'BB') (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Request an update of this factory fuel lines/battery recall.....
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

So according to the Porsche HO Battery/Fuel Lines Recall posts above - so long as mine never had it done - I can go to my local dealer here in Orange County, CA & have them do it????

[b]Was the guy above successful in having them do his, or did the dealer just waffle & claim that they cannot get the parts? &/or has anyone else been successful recently?[/b] (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

If they cannot get the Porsche OEM parts, can they be forced to do it under Federal law &/or US-DOT regs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif) & use some of these alt. parts/sources listed here (i.e.: from BMW, AA, PP, Peli, etc.) where OEM/OES parts aren't available to do this recall work?

Anyone here in SoCal want to recommend which local dealer is most HONEST, reliable & does quality work for this type of recall fix? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'd used Chick Iverson in Newport Beach "back in the day" - but we used to call them "Gyp" Iverson (sp?) for a good reason, and they're no longer the owners. They're now call Newport P/A, & then other local choices are: Circle P/A/VW in Long Beach, & several Rusnak locations - but which one(s) is/are best??

I've owned the 2L since 12/85 (2nd owner - I think), & don't think that it was ever done by the PO/OO. I never did it because I switched to using the sealed batteries when I did my first replacement in 76-77. ...maybe now is the perfect time to "get a round tuit" - because....

Man - this could save me significant dollars in bringing my 73 2L out of storage sine 5/85! I'd only have to replace the rubber fuel lines & parts "north of" the engine bay!

If so - Whooopie! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

And a HUGE THANX to all of you posting on this & the other threads. I've been reading thru all of them as applicable to my project, & have learned so much - parts, alts. sources & techniques, as well as probably saving some coin (& my marriage) in the process. This is a Gold Mine! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Someone ought to distill these 10,000's of threads & posts into book form & publish it, & then the proceeds maybe could be used to reduce our (free) dues.....!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Of course - something like that could help fund a big annual or biannual event.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

A very grateful...

Anybody have some input on having the fuel lines recall work done now & other questions which I posed above? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Mark - you're in SoCal - any reccos for dealer(s) to do a good job on the fuel lines recall at this late date? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Pat - glad to hear your change of heart on this, since many a 914 has been lost to engine bay fires! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

And that's about the time period since your "curmudgeon" post that it usually takes for the non-campaigned fabric covered lines to fail, altho I'm surprised it did when you've said somewhere that you use the sealed batteries! ...so maybe this indicates a deeper flaw in the OEM lines!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Thanx!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
euro911
post Apr 7 2009, 09:57 PM
Post #62

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

Sorry Tom, I can't provide you with any recommendations for repair facilities.

I typically do my own work, mainly because I don't trust any VW dealership's mechanics any further than I can throw them ... they destroyed my wife's 1999 Beetle before it hit 34k miles.

Except for the injector elbows, all the engine bay's top-side hoses on my wife's 71 appear to have been replaced with 'ribbed' rubber hoses. I'm currently replacing what appear to be the original cloth-covered fuel tank and pump hoses, and installing a new tank screen.

As for a VW dealership providing service for a recall that long ago ... all I can say is good luck. They could probably do it, but I'll bet they'll charge you up the arse.

I'm sure someone from the OC area will pop in and recommend some independent repair shops that can do the job for a reasonable price if you don't plan to do it yourself.

+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 7 2009, 10:32 PM
Post #63

TMI....

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 PM) *

I typically do my own work, mainly because I don't trust any VW dealership's mechanics any further than I can throw them ... they destroyed my wife's 1999 Beetle before it hit 34k miles.

Except for the injector elbows, all the engine bay's top-side hoses on my wife's 71 appear to have been replaced with 'ribbed' rubber hoses. I'm currently replacing what appear to be the original cloth-covered fuel tank and pump hoses, and installing a new tank screen.

As for a VW dealership providing service for a recall that long ago ... all I can say is good luck. They could probably do it, but I'll bet they'll charge you up the arse.

I'm sure someone from the OC area will pop in and recommend some independent repair shops that can do the job for a reasonable price if you don't plan to do it yourself.

Thanx anyway Ron.

FYI - earlier in this thread someone else had tried to get the Porsche dealership (not VW) in their area to this 914 fuel lines/battery recall for FREE as an ongoing Federal/DOT requirement for any 914 never done.

I was hoping to save some coin by having the dealer do that portion of mine, then I'll have my "regular" mechanic Hans at Hans Imports - who was P-Factory trained on 914s back in the `70s (as well as VW's) - check the dealers work when they change out the other fuel lines not covered.

I could probably do it myself, but am not sure how much I want to tackle on my own with everything else to get this long term storage recovery & body work, & if I did - then I'd have them check my work too.

They've worked on my 914 since I got it in 12/75, & he checked it out & several others before I bought this one. They also have done my 88 Westfalia since new too & all my other cars, and they are a VERY well reputed independent. They do what needs to be done right & stand behind their work, & don't do add-ons to pump up the invoice!

I can highly recommend them if you're ever in need & are anywhere close to Huntington Beach: Hans Imports - 714/960-9000 & 714/536-4000 - ask for Carl or Hans & tell them Tom T. referred you.

Anyway, I'll need to check further on that freebie campaign idea, in order to hopefully offset or reduce some of the significant total costs of getting my `73 2L running again after 24 years stored in my garage!

Best!
Tom
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 16 2009, 03:37 AM
Post #64

TMI....

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 7 2009, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 7 2009, 08:57 PM) *

Thanx anyway Ron.

FYI - earlier in this thread someone else had tried to get the Porsche dealership (not VW) in their area to this 914 fuel lines/battery recall for FREE as an ongoing Federal/DOT requirement for any 914 never done.

I was hoping to save some coin by having the dealer do that portion of mine, then I'll have my "regular" mechanic Hans at Hans Imports - who was P-Factory trained on 914s back in the `70s (as well as VW's) - check the dealers work when they change out the other fuel lines not covered.

I could probably do it myself, but am not sure how much I want to tackle on my own with everything else to get this long term storage recovery & body work, & if I did - then I'd have them check my work too.

They've worked on my 914 since I got it in 12/75, & he checked it out & several others before I bought this one. They also have done my 88 Westfalia since new too & all my other cars, and they are a VERY well reputed independent. They do what needs to be done right & stand behind their work, & don't do add-ons to pump up the invoice!

I can highly recommend them if you're ever in need & are anywhere close to Huntington Beach: Hans Imports - 714/960-9000 & 714/536-4000 - ask for Carl or Hans & tell them Tom T. referred you.

Anyway, I'll need to check further on that freebie campaign idea, in order to hopefully offset or reduce some of the significant total costs of getting my `73 2L running again after 24 years stored in my garage!

Best!
Tom

OK - I've partially answered my own question on this recall campaign, by asking at Porsche Cars of North America (1-800-PORSCHE & Option #3), after I was referred there by the gal doing my COA. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

As I suspected - they're obligated under Federal Law & DOT Regs. to do it - no matter at what point (talk about open-ended liability!?).

They will still do the Fuel Lines & Battery Cover/Pad Recall Campaign at your local Dealership, & the dealer can contact them &/or the Porsche Warranty Dept. there for the parts, which are supposedly still available.

If you call the number above & provide your VIN, they'll check their records, and if it's never been done on your 914 - then you're IN! They'll assign a case number for your car, and assist with getting it done, if you meet resistance at the dealer.

I cannot yet say whether it will get done, nor if it will be good workmanship. Most of the mechanics at dealers weren't even born (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) when the 914s were built - let alone work much on them!

So - I'll wait & see..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Let me know if anyone else has had any success? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:29 PM