Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC: Anyone see the Total Eclipse on Discovery HD, Awesome...
richardL
post Nov 23 2003, 06:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 201
Region Association: None

Discovery HD showed Japanese coverage of the total solar eclipse from Antarctica. Amazing to see HD pictures from the ground of the frozen south along with live coverage from a plane at 30,000ft. During totallity you could clearly see a red solar flare sticking up from the sun as well as the corona.

The sun is barely above the horizon down there, so it was very impressive so low down.

Going to see the new HDTiVo on Tuesday at a sneak peek. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)

Richard
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fiid
post Nov 23 2003, 06:15 PM
Post #2

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

HDTiVo? Sneak Peak? Where? I want one !!!!!!! I'll try and catch a repeat of that - it sounds cool.

Fiid.
+Quote Post
steve@ottosvenice.com
post Nov 23 2003, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,324

I was in Cabo in 91 for the Full Eclipse. Its is a must do event If you ever have the chance it is worth the effort to see in person. Steve
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 23 2003, 07:04 PM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

DirecTV announced at CEDIA that they would have (they had it there) a HD TIVO in January. Price TBD.
+Quote Post
richardL
post Nov 23 2003, 07:25 PM
Post #5

Yeah, they showed it last year as well. Sometime in the 1st Quarter seems likely.

I'm going into the TiVo HQ locally with a small group to see it.

R
+Quote Post
fiid
post Nov 26 2003, 02:40 AM
Post #6

Did you see it? Is it cool? Whass the deal? I have ultimateTV now but it won't do HD on my projector :-( ).

How do I become part of one of these "small groups"??

Fiid.
+Quote Post
richardL
post Nov 26 2003, 09:33 AM
Post #7

Yes, we went into TiVo's offices and they gave us a long demo and had about 6 engineers as well as some marketing people present.

They were very forthcoming except for price and availability (DirectTV get to do that). The unit looked pretty good and was very stable - essentially a production version.

It behaves exactly like a regular TiVo except in glorious HD. You can specify HD only etc. in Wishlists and so on.

It has four tuners - 2 satellite and 2 OTA and you can record (or watch) any combination of 2. Composite and HDMI outputs - no firewire. It does have two USB 2.0 ports that are not enabled and they wouldn't tell us when they would be. The DirectTV version doesn't have the HMO package (MP3s and JPGs).

They were feeding into a Sony LCD projector and a 100" screen and it looked great. Slow motion etc. were perfect.

They fed us and sat around and talked a lot about general plans and some cool things they have planned in the past. Main push now is to get it released.

I can't wait, I hate watching live TV. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)

Richard
+Quote Post
fiid
post Nov 26 2003, 12:26 PM
Post #8

Me also. I have a Sanyo Widescreen HD projector that is looking forward to recieving input from it :-)

The ultimate tv has a keyboard which is really handy for searching and stuff... do they have that?

Fiid.
+Quote Post
richardL
post Nov 26 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(fiid @ Nov 26 2003, 11:26 AM)
The ultimate tv has a keyboard which is really handy for searching and stuff... do they have that?

No just the usual TiVo wishlists, season passes etc. You will be able to specify HD/SD as a criteria for wishlists and even record both versions if you need. You can only archive an SD version (thanks to the content providers lawyers).

They had a complete boolean search language specified at one time and backed off so that ma and pa middle america would still be able to use it.

R
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 06:45 PM