Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NPC: Anyone see the Total Eclipse on Discovery HD
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
richardL
Discovery HD showed Japanese coverage of the total solar eclipse from Antarctica. Amazing to see HD pictures from the ground of the frozen south along with live coverage from a plane at 30,000ft. During totallity you could clearly see a red solar flare sticking up from the sun as well as the corona.

The sun is barely above the horizon down there, so it was very impressive so low down.

Going to see the new HDTiVo on Tuesday at a sneak peek. wub.gif

Richard
fiid
HDTiVo? Sneak Peak? Where? I want one !!!!!!! I'll try and catch a repeat of that - it sounds cool.

Fiid.
steve@ottosvenice.com
I was in Cabo in 91 for the Full Eclipse. Its is a must do event If you ever have the chance it is worth the effort to see in person. Steve
seanery
DirecTV announced at CEDIA that they would have (they had it there) a HD TIVO in January. Price TBD.
richardL
Yeah, they showed it last year as well. Sometime in the 1st Quarter seems likely.

I'm going into the TiVo HQ locally with a small group to see it.

R
fiid
Did you see it? Is it cool? Whass the deal? I have ultimateTV now but it won't do HD on my projector :-( ).

How do I become part of one of these "small groups"??

Fiid.
richardL
Yes, we went into TiVo's offices and they gave us a long demo and had about 6 engineers as well as some marketing people present.

They were very forthcoming except for price and availability (DirectTV get to do that). The unit looked pretty good and was very stable - essentially a production version.

It behaves exactly like a regular TiVo except in glorious HD. You can specify HD only etc. in Wishlists and so on.

It has four tuners - 2 satellite and 2 OTA and you can record (or watch) any combination of 2. Composite and HDMI outputs - no firewire. It does have two USB 2.0 ports that are not enabled and they wouldn't tell us when they would be. The DirectTV version doesn't have the HMO package (MP3s and JPGs).

They were feeding into a Sony LCD projector and a 100" screen and it looked great. Slow motion etc. were perfect.

They fed us and sat around and talked a lot about general plans and some cool things they have planned in the past. Main push now is to get it released.

I can't wait, I hate watching live TV. boldblue.gif

Richard
fiid
Me also. I have a Sanyo Widescreen HD projector that is looking forward to recieving input from it :-)

The ultimate tv has a keyboard which is really handy for searching and stuff... do they have that?

Fiid.
richardL
QUOTE(fiid @ Nov 26 2003, 11:26 AM)
The ultimate tv has a keyboard which is really handy for searching and stuff... do they have that?

No just the usual TiVo wishlists, season passes etc. You will be able to specify HD/SD as a criteria for wishlists and even record both versions if you need. You can only archive an SD version (thanks to the content providers lawyers).

They had a complete boolean search language specified at one time and backed off so that ma and pa middle america would still be able to use it.

R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.