Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fall-Apart-Dave's 914 powered Baja bug progress now with pics!
So.Cal.914
post Feb 17 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #21

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Feb 17 2007, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:50 AM) *

Hey Dave, If your shot in the ass with diamonds and money is no problem then

put it on the bottle. Nitrous will kill it quicker then without it. I would spend that

money on some 96's for it. My first 1911 ran great and would have been very

impressive in a baja. Just my .02

No luck on evilbay for a dizzy? I would think with your geographical location

you would be in Porsche / VW heaven.

hang on, why would nitrous kill it any quicker than a supercharger or turbo? It's the same principle, right? adding more air to your mixture... Compensate for that with Y foggers and some extra gas, product is same as a turbo... Only problem I can see is if running too lean, but then you got the same problem with turbo's and supers... That and overboost!

Simply stated, nitrous oxide injection is very much like a supercharger or a compression ratio increase in that, during combustion, it can dramatically increase the dynamic cylinder pressure in the engine.

Of course, when we significantly increase the cylinder pressure in the engine, we also increase the engine's tendancy to detonate. This is why almost all nitrous motors require retarded spark timing during nitrous oxide operation. The cylinder pressure increase is also why, when misused or improperly installed, operation with nitrous causes problems with head gasket seal and failures of the rings or pistons. I should point out that any number of things that put an engine into severe detonation, such as too much boost from a supercharger, low octane fuel, excessive compression ratio or overly lean air-fuel ratio will also cause the same kinds of damage.

Another challenge with a nitrous oxide system is getting the delivery of nitrous oxide and additinonal fuel at the correct proportions. If you feed nitrous to the engine without enough extra fuel, the lean air/nitrous to fuel mixture will make the detonation problem even worse. Combustion temperatures will skyrocket and catistropic failure is certain to occur. If the proportion is such that too much fuel is delivered, the power advantage degrades rapidly.

As you can see, nitrous oxide is like any other power increasing modification in that, when used wisely and installed properly, it works well. Then used foolishy or installed incorectly it can significantly reduced the reliability/durability of your engine

Dave I didn't say it will kill it quicker than a turbo or supercharger, I said it will
kill it quicker than without.

Nitrous is addictive and can lead to abuse. Even when set up correctly I have

seen them grenade.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Feb 18 2007, 01:50 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 6,898

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 17 2007, 05:37 PM) *

QUOTE(fall-apart-dave @ Feb 17 2007, 02:28 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:50 AM) *

Hey Dave, If your shot in the ass with diamonds and money is no problem then

put it on the bottle. Nitrous will kill it quicker then without it. I would spend that

money on some 96's for it. My first 1911 ran great and would have been very

impressive in a baja. Just my .02

No luck on evilbay for a dizzy? I would think with your geographical location

you would be in Porsche / VW heaven.

hang on, why would nitrous kill it any quicker than a supercharger or turbo? It's the same principle, right? adding more air to your mixture... Compensate for that with Y foggers and some extra gas, product is same as a turbo... Only problem I can see is if running too lean, but then you got the same problem with turbo's and supers... That and overboost!

Simply stated, nitrous oxide injection is very much like a supercharger or a compression ratio increase in that, during combustion, it can dramatically increase the dynamic cylinder pressure in the engine.

Of course, when we significantly increase the cylinder pressure in the engine, we also increase the engine's tendancy to detonate. This is why almost all nitrous motors require retarded spark timing during nitrous oxide operation. The cylinder pressure increase is also why, when misused or improperly installed, operation with nitrous causes problems with head gasket seal and failures of the rings or pistons. I should point out that any number of things that put an engine into severe detonation, such as too much boost from a supercharger, low octane fuel, excessive compression ratio or overly lean air-fuel ratio will also cause the same kinds of damage.

Another challenge with a nitrous oxide system is getting the delivery of nitrous oxide and additinonal fuel at the correct proportions. If you feed nitrous to the engine without enough extra fuel, the lean air/nitrous to fuel mixture will make the detonation problem even worse. Combustion temperatures will skyrocket and catistropic failure is certain to occur. If the proportion is such that too much fuel is delivered, the power advantage degrades rapidly.

As you can see, nitrous oxide is like any other power increasing modification in that, when used wisely and installed properly, it works well. Then used foolishy or installed incorectly it can significantly reduced the reliability/durability of your engine

Dave I didn't say it will kill it quicker than a turbo or supercharger, I said it will
kill it quicker than without.

Nitrous is addictive and can lead to abuse. Even when set up correctly I have

seen them grenade.

Sorry, misread your thread! Well, with a progressive controler, direct port system and a purge, asnd something to retard the timing (maybe there are progressives controllers that can do that out there?) It shouldn't be a problem then I guess... Anyway, gotta find some carbs for her first! Ditching the 44's, need 40IDFs or similar, or maybe 36's.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Feb 18 2007, 02:20 AM
Post #23

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

You might find what you want with these guys, been around a long time.

Attached ImageCheck it out.

Nitrous OS
+Quote Post
fall-apart-dave
post Feb 18 2007, 03:27 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 6,898

I spoke to a company over here, the Wizards of NOS, and they said a progressive controller, a purge and direct port would see me right. They reccomended starting with a 25 shot, but also said that anything upto 50 should be fine for my engine (a 50bhp increase on a stock 1.7 flat 4 apparantly is fine, they are strong enough to cope provided it's not used 100% of the time, they said). To be fair, they also said they reccomended forged pistons, good quality heads and bigger exhaust valves too and an uprated cam if I was really serious about using it a lot.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 01:12 PM