Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Help! with vin #, on a 72 super beetle
erikstoll
post Feb 19 2007, 01:12 PM
Post #1

Just Another Roadside Attraction

Group: Members
From: Reno, Nevada, USA - The Biggest Little City In The World
Member No.: 5,210

got the vin number... it seems rather short... and car fax wont look it up because of that... its only
10 digits long, for a 72 VIN #, is that correct... or... am i getting screwed over?
Thanks
Erik
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Feb 19 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,634

Try go here

www.superbeetlesonly.com

odd, won't let me do a link
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 19 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #3

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5
Region Association: None

Carfaxes are only good back to 1981. Before that the VINs were not unique and were too short to be catalogued. Some companies had VINs identical to other companies...
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 19 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #4

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(erikstoll @ Feb 19 2007, 03:12 PM) *

got the vin number... it seems rather short... and car fax wont look it up because of that... its only
10 digits long, for a 72 VIN #, is that correct... or... am i getting screwed over?
Thanks
Erik

We used to own a 72 standard beetle, so I looked thru my old records to find any Vins , and no luck. I believe the carfax is a no go because of the older age. Early eighties, everything changed to keep the registration issues harder to deal with for thieves shipping out of country, or into country .....whatever.

Bureaucracy of the federal Govt. ----a guy could write volumes. And somebody prolly did ----at the Govt.'s expense.

I know there's a big change in the vin utilizing a random floating letter to make it harder to legit. fake cars, but my knowledge runs dry here. And this does not apply to older vins.

So, I do not think you are getting messed with here, its just pre-modern technology.

mrgreenjeans
+Quote Post
Bogaat
post Feb 19 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,436

I have a 72 Super as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Welcome to the club. Nothing beats a super...even a 914. Sorry guys. 10 digits is correct.
+Quote Post
mrgreenjeans
post Feb 19 2007, 07:46 PM
Post #6

mrgreenjeans

Member No.: 7,520
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Feb 19 2007, 09:33 PM) *

I have a 72 Super as well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . Welcome to the club. Nothing beats a super...even a 914. Sorry guys. 10 digits is correct.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Ahem....gotta deal with this....

and Herbie don't count in this argument, because Disney lies.

"teeners ain't weeners, specially to a beetle."

That's why Porsche took a Super , squished it down and made it flatter and wider, built it more complex, so as to make it more valuable when the tinworm ate up 3/4's of them, swiped a motor from the beetles cousin, the 412, and made it corner like stink on fresh road-kill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Bugs are cool....but they be old 'skool'

Ever see a beetle try and win at LeMans like a teener tried to do ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

End of debate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Feb 19 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #7

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

I want a '69 Bug with a 3.6 in it..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
erikstoll
post Feb 19 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #8

Just Another Roadside Attraction

From: Reno, Nevada, USA - The Biggest Little City In The World
Member No.: 5,210

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Feb 19 2007, 05:33 PM) *

unfortunatly i didnt pick it up for other issues (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Bogaat
post Feb 20 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 7,436

QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 19 2007, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Feb 19 2007, 09:33 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Ahem....gotta deal with this....

and Herbie don't count in this argument, because Disney lies.

"teeners ain't weeners, specially to a beetle."

That's why Porsche took a Super , squished it down and made it flatter and wider, built it more complex, so as to make it more valuable when the tinworm ate up 3/4's of them, swiped a motor from the beetles cousin, the 412, and made it corner like stink on fresh road-kill. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

Bugs are cool....but they be old 'skool'

Ever see a beetle try and win at LeMans like a teener tried to do ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

End of debate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Eh, I am just partial to the super...no debate on speed and handling. Although, you might be surpised what a Super can do! My Super is my baby that I keep off the road and restored. I just have a complete Passion for driving that thing. I am in the process of purchasing a 74 2.0 914 which will be my daily. Should be fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 20 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #10

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

72 Super Beatle was my first new car. I think it was $2,700 out the door. The VW dealer was 6 doors from my home. They had a special edition and I guess they called it different things depending on what part of the country you where in. In So. California it was called the Baja. It came with special wheels, Coco mats, special muffler tips and a stripe and the big deal was the color. My Metallic BLUE.

I told them not to put the Baja stripe on. That baby could pull my motorcycle trailer with 3 bikes and friends and go up to the mountains or deserts outside of LA. It was a great car?

Bob
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:56 PM