Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help! with vin #
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
erikstoll
got the vin number... it seems rather short... and car fax wont look it up because of that... its only
10 digits long, for a 72 VIN #, is that correct... or... am i getting screwed over?
Thanks
Erik
Tobra
Try go here

www.superbeetlesonly.com

odd, won't let me do a link
Joe Bob
Carfaxes are only good back to 1981. Before that the VINs were not unique and were too short to be catalogued. Some companies had VINs identical to other companies...
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(erikstoll @ Feb 19 2007, 03:12 PM) *

got the vin number... it seems rather short... and car fax wont look it up because of that... its only
10 digits long, for a 72 VIN #, is that correct... or... am i getting screwed over?
Thanks
Erik

We used to own a 72 standard beetle, so I looked thru my old records to find any Vins , and no luck. I believe the carfax is a no go because of the older age. Early eighties, everything changed to keep the registration issues harder to deal with for thieves shipping out of country, or into country .....whatever.

Bureaucracy of the federal Govt. ----a guy could write volumes. And somebody prolly did ----at the Govt.'s expense.

I know there's a big change in the vin utilizing a random floating letter to make it harder to legit. fake cars, but my knowledge runs dry here. And this does not apply to older vins.

So, I do not think you are getting messed with here, its just pre-modern technology.

mrgreenjeans
Bogaat
I have a 72 Super as well biggrin.gif . Welcome to the club. Nothing beats a super...even a 914. Sorry guys. 10 digits is correct.
mrgreenjeans
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Feb 19 2007, 09:33 PM) *

I have a 72 Super as well biggrin.gif . Welcome to the club. Nothing beats a super...even a 914. Sorry guys. 10 digits is correct.

huh.gif

Ahem....gotta deal with this....

and Herbie don't count in this argument, because Disney lies.

"teeners ain't weeners, specially to a beetle."

That's why Porsche took a Super , squished it down and made it flatter and wider, built it more complex, so as to make it more valuable when the tinworm ate up 3/4's of them, swiped a motor from the beetles cousin, the 412, and made it corner like stink on fresh road-kill. driving.gif

Bugs are cool....but they be old 'skool'

Ever see a beetle try and win at LeMans like a teener tried to do ? smilie_pokal.gif

End of debate happy11.gif
Allan
I want a '69 Bug with a 3.6 in it..... biggrin.gif
erikstoll
QUOTE(Bogaat @ Feb 19 2007, 05:33 PM) *

unfortunatly i didnt pick it up for other issues sad.gif
Bogaat
QUOTE(mrgreenjeans @ Feb 19 2007, 08:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Bogaat @ Feb 19 2007, 09:33 PM) *

huh.gif

Ahem....gotta deal with this....

and Herbie don't count in this argument, because Disney lies.

"teeners ain't weeners, specially to a beetle."

That's why Porsche took a Super , squished it down and made it flatter and wider, built it more complex, so as to make it more valuable when the tinworm ate up 3/4's of them, swiped a motor from the beetles cousin, the 412, and made it corner like stink on fresh road-kill. driving.gif

Bugs are cool....but they be old 'skool'

Ever see a beetle try and win at LeMans like a teener tried to do ? smilie_pokal.gif

End of debate happy11.gif

Eh, I am just partial to the super...no debate on speed and handling. Although, you might be surpised what a Super can do! My Super is my baby that I keep off the road and restored. I just have a complete Passion for driving that thing. I am in the process of purchasing a 74 2.0 914 which will be my daily. Should be fun smile.gif .
burton73
72 Super Beatle was my first new car. I think it was $2,700 out the door. The VW dealer was 6 doors from my home. They had a special edition and I guess they called it different things depending on what part of the country you where in. In So. California it was called the Baja. It came with special wheels, Coco mats, special muffler tips and a stripe and the big deal was the color. My Metallic BLUE.

I told them not to put the Baja stripe on. That baby could pull my motorcycle trailer with 3 bikes and friends and go up to the mountains or deserts outside of LA. It was a great car?

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.