Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 3 points units burned out today- why?
Scott-thundercat
post Feb 21 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,049

so today was a bad porsche day. drove to school this morning, then on the way to work, the car backfired twice in quick succesion and died. checked the fuel pump- worked good, checked the dwell (have a dwell meter built into my voltmeter), showed points open- take off the cap and rotor- points are open from wear... also massive corrosion on contacts... hmmm wasnt there 2 weeks ago... so i throw my spare borg warner set on- set the dwell drive for a few blocks to a guy's shop i know to borrow a wrench to set the timing as it is way retarded (dwell wasnt in same place as before) pull in lots of oil smoke.... hmmm. someone says "youre car's on fire" thinking it's just the smoke look under car- some oil on the heat exchanger is burning! run inside get an extinguisher put it out- no harm done no wires burned or anything! adjust timing- get engine running good- drive to get on freeway- works great- get on freeway starts backfiring and popping- pull off at next offramp- check dwell went from 48 degrees to 20 degrees.... hmmm? check points- big burned looking residue in a disc from points contacts all around inside dizzy for about 2 cm... wtf? take points out check them- appear good, clean off this residue put em back on... set dwell again- (this is a real fun guess and check process btw!!)

start up- car runs great... for 1 minute- dies. check dwell- points open. open cap- points burned about 1/4 away (brand new!! ) also they are hot to touch... check voltage to coil- 10.5 i belive it was with car off. my understanding is no balast resistor needed- shouldnt be too much voltage... decide might as well try again- same result this time entire point contact on arm burned off and melted the little wire that goes to condensor when it touched it briefly. tachometer jumps around when it backfires- so thinking eliminate problems- remove tach wire on coil- no help... walk to kragen 1 mile away get new points and condensor install thinking good to go. set dwell. runs perfectly. let it idle for a few minutes eyeballing dwell- 49 degrees. sweet. drive onto freeway- car dies after backfiring. exit freeway after adjusting dwell again- park car.

after parking car try to roll up window- window wont move even though roller moves through it's range. pull off door panel, push window up. close door. leave car. get perplexed.

any ideas? i am totally stumped here. cant think how 10.5 volts would fry points. also checked voltage at battery while running- 13.5 volts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 09:18 AM