Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Purchasing 914 V8...opinions?
michaelt55
post Feb 23 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #1

Graduate of Life's experiences

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,753
Region Association: None

Opinions...
oh geez..

anywho...looking at a well thought out and built 215 V8 in a 914. Approx 160-180 hp but light as its a 62 Buick V8 that is all aluminum, so about 60 lbs heavier than stock.

Its monetarily a great deal and I will probably sell my 73 with a Raby 2056. Just wondered if anyone knew of issues with the all aluminum 215 and has anyone every used it as a conversion?

Michael
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 23 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #2

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

I don't know a lot about the Buick V8, but that motor's been used in every type of conversion everywhere, so it shouldn't be hard to find info. I seem to remember hot rodders having head gasket problems and difficulties getting big horsepower, but wouldn't put my hand into the fire to swear that's true. But you're SELLING a Raby 2056 to buy a V8 conversion car? I say go for it, myself, but if I were you I probably wouldn't say that very loudly, you'll surely be scolded.

You aren't Michael Markham from Katy, are you?
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 23 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

That Buick 215 is the same motor as used in the reasonably current Land Rover. There seem to be quite a number of performance bits and a good deal of tech information available (oh, and parts as well). You might want to closely inspect the cooling system's parts and pieces. If the owner is unwilling to give you a ride on a hot day, then you have a clue.
I always thought that the light weight 215 was a good candidate for the 914. That power level made for a fairly well balanced car, IMHO.

Andys
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Feb 23 2007, 04:36 PM
Post #4

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

those old buick 215s have aluminum that over time, just like the VWs and Porsches, gets sorta soft. So buy a hel-coil kit in every size because everytime you take out a bolt, you will probably heli-coil that hole (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

When I worked in a cylinder head shop back in the 90s, every 215, VW or Porsche head that came in my boss immediately had me count the number of bolt holes and quote that many heli-coils because he got burned too many times for rebuilding a head, they take it home and install it, then strip a bolt on the exhaust and blame him.

Head gaskets can be an issue as mentioned before - the alum issue again.

A lot of guys like them because they were light; I am not a big fan of them overall but generally speaking they are alright. A lot of the same issues you have to worry about with type IVs like valve seat drops, threads, etc.

Me, I would use a 6-cyl Chevy before the 215 Buick frankly... get a late one (after they fixed all the vibration issues) and that would be a better engine and would make more power too - and there are a lot of aftermarket parts for them (because of NASCAR racing).

The later rover copies had better aluminum supposedly tho' I personally never saw a Rover block or head while working there, but a few 215s.

edit - Oh yeah, and the coolant passages tend to be really corroded on those old engines and as andys mentioned cooling system whoas may exist, but I want to add internal cooling systems whoas may exist. They are old enough and a lot of people didn't always keep fresh coolant, and the older coolants v. new stuff, etc.....
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Feb 23 2007, 04:46 PM
Post #5

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

why would you choose a v8 914 over what you have?

please list the pros and cons as you see them.

jim
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 23 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Post pics...

Is it silver? if so.. there some very interesting fabbing going on in that car..
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Feb 23 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,782

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 23 2007, 05:12 PM) *

Post pics...

Is it silver? if so.. there some very interesting fabbing going on in that car..

Andrew,
I have seen the car on EBAY some time back, It looked nice but I do remember him talking about the long being welded up in a bent position..
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Feb 23 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #8

This is a black one. I have not seen it in person. The engine was rebuilt about 4 years ago (I think) and its got some neat head mods and runs about a 10.5 to 1 compression ratio. The owner denies it having any coolant issues. The car looks well thought out and well constructed. Looks like the perfect sleeper...

Why would I chose it over a Raby 2056? Mostly the hp and the ability to swap it out for a larger one. The Raby engine I want would run me about $12K or more to get what I want HP wise. This engine can be rebuilt pretty economically and in stock form runs an honest 180 hp. I am not sure what this one runs but its been tweaked a little so to say 200 hp is a good estimate.

I was looking for a v8 cause nothing sounds like a V8 to me....I know sacriledge...but I grew up on these types of engines...

Michael Morris

from Katy
+Quote Post
LS6/914
post Feb 23 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #9

Never leaves the shop member

Member No.: 1,215
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Personally from experience I would keep the Raby motor 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Feb 23 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #10

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

You want a V8 so why settle for a little V8 go 350 Chev, and you won't be wanting more.
I have had 6 V8 914s and they all were great cars. The 350 is the easy and cheap way to go in a V8 914, although the LS motors are coming on.
Have fun whatever your choice, and just make sure it stops as fast as it goes fast.
CCLIN914NATION
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Feb 23 2007, 09:38 PM
Post #11

like the idea of an engine that revs well and weighs only about 60 lbs more than a stock engine...keeps the balance.

I may keep the 914 with the Raby engine but not sure as of yet...

Michael
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 23 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

What are your plans for either car? What would you do more? Do you see yourself getting competitive in autoxing or racing?

+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Feb 23 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Would like to try auto cross but wonder if my time would allow me the time to get good at it...

Heres what the car has....

BODY
-Rayco FRP front fenders
-Mitcom 916 rear quarter panels
-P.B. Tweeks FRP flared rocker panels

ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN
-1970 Rover/Buick all aluminum 215-V8
-STD bore, 10.5-1 (stock) comp ratio
-Cyl heads-ported exaust ports, 3 angle valve grind with hi-retainers-shaft rocker stahnds shortened .060"-pushrods shortened .125" for geometry correction.
-Camshaft-M-488 custom ground by Shadblot engineering(Vancouver B.C.) C/W hydraulic lifters
-Spheroidal graphite iron crankshaft, 5 main journal center, thrust mains, .010" under - rods ground .001"
-Hi volume oil pump, Buick v8 filter housing
-Facet electric fuel pump-GM canister filter
-Offenhauser alum intake
-500cfm Carter carb C/W electric choke
-Buick distributer with Unilit conversion
-Kennedy engineered produsct #1000 Rover to Porsche adapter
-KEP 2400# max pressure plate
-KEP throwout bearing
-V.W. 200mm clutch disc
-Custon h.d. radiator w/ twin Spals
-Toyota Corolla heater

ELECTRICAL
-Hella H-4 Q.I. headlites
-Eurolens rear tail lites
-Tach converted to 8cyl
-Mechanical oil pressure and water temp
-Electrical oil temp and cyl head temp
-Alpine CD with J.L audio speakers
-Electric windows
-Keylees entry

SUSPENSION
-H@H Carrera 19mm adj front sway bar
-Addco 16mm rear sway bar
-140# rear springs (100 stock)
-Stock front torsion bar
-Koni adj front and Koni H.D. rear shock absorbers
-BMW 320i front brake conversion
-Stock Porsche rear calipers
-All four calipers have stainless steel liners and completly rebuilt.
-Adj proporsioning valve
-19mm 911 master cylinder
-All rotor have been crossdrilled
-All flex lines are braided stainless steel
-Pagio performance brake pads, all four wheels
-Carrol Shelby Mini-Europa wheels 7/15 front 8.5/15 rear
-Custom roll bar with rear chassis supports

Its a sharp car and everything is done. I want to personalize it some...but its really well put together..

Michael
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 23 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #14

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(boxstr @ Feb 23 2007, 07:36 PM) *

You want a V8 so why settle for a little V8 go 350 Chev, and you won't be wanting more.
I have had 6 V8 914s and they all were great cars. The 350 is the easy and cheap way to go in a V8 914, although the LS motors are coming on.
Have fun whatever your choice, and just make sure it stops as fast as it goes fast.
CCLIN914NATION

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) If your going to do a V8 shoot for 300 hp or your wasting your time and money. Don't forget you give up lower center of gravity when you use a V8. A good part of the 60 lbs is higher in the car changing the roll center and handling. That requires lots of other changes to even compete with a stock 1.7 in an AX in both turning and braking.
Now if you want to pull the 215 in favor of some real HP and give me the Rover power for my 1954 Austin Healey 100-4 BN1 Bad Boy project... now were talking! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Feb 23 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #15

Rick..
for Ax..I was thinking of the 914 I have with the Raby 2056....sorry dude!

Michael
+Quote Post
Crazyhippy
post Feb 23 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #16

Insert witty comment here...

Member No.: 4,493

Still needs brakes. High hp and stock rotors (cross-drilled doesn't help w/ disipating heat)are not a good combo.

If you want a v-8, do a real v-8. Settling for for a lil motor will work fine for a lil while, but you WILL want more (I'm @ 286 to the tires, and it has lost it's edge.... time for more suspension to get my kicks other ways)

BJH
+Quote Post
andys
post Feb 23 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

Some years back, I rode in a 914/Buick 215 conversion. What struck me was how similar the chassis felt to my 2.0. That 180HP felt very nice and tractable with it's lower than a SBC 350 torque, it felt extremely well balanced. I suspect that also made the car easier to drive as well. Oh, and you get the nice V8 sound too. Therefore, I lobby that you don't sell this car short simply because it doesn't have an SBC. The parts list looks pretty good to me.

BTW, the Oldsmobile version of the 215cu in V8 made 195HP also with a stock 10.5:1 CR (had different heads than the Buick). The top-of-the-line Jetfire was a 215HP turbocharged and alcohol injected version offered in 1963.

Andys
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 24 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #18

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Having never owned or driven a V8 conversion, I can only offer one piece of advice...

Don't buy it if you need to take it to a local mechanic for an oil change. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Feb 25 2007, 06:31 AM
Post #19

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618

That motor, and the car, sound great. Don't worry about more horsepower now. If it turns out that you want that later then SBC's are cheap, so it's easy enough to add. And if that motor's been running since 1970 then it's doing as well or better than the VW motors that came in the cars, with twice the horsepower. If it's a good deal then I say get the car.

And if you get it please give me a ride sometime.
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 25 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 623

If your going to do a V8 shoot for 300 hp or your wasting your time and money.

I really like the idea of a light weight all aluminum V-8 in a 914. If this particular car is a very well crafted V-8 conversion front to rear, I'd consider it as a fun car to own. However, Very few V-8 top shelf conversions exist. If this happens to be the case, build your own and use either a more modern 350 or an LS series motor (like I did)...or you can be real unique and transplant a 928 V-8 in there like Rick Ollah did (you'll be the second). 180 HP is quite an improvement, but you'll be longing for more in short order...and that cute little 215 (even with all the latest go fast parts) is quite limited. I've researched what it takes to get over 300 HP from a 215 and by the time you get 300HP or more out of it, you will have spent enough money to build a crazy LS6 (like I did). One more thing to consider, if you venture into the 350-400+ HP range, your cute/cuddely little 901 will desintegrate immediately! Going past the 350-400HP threshold requires that you go to a much stronger transaxle & brakes. The list of upgrades is never ending. In many ways, the brilliance of a small cubic inch aluminum 215 becomes readily apparent. You won't need anything better than a 901 (maybe taller gears) and a decent brake upgrade. Think long term and how your quest for HP will increase...not to mention budget...and perhaps you will be plenty happy with a cute little 215 in a 914. There's something to be said for finess over brute strength.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:12 PM