Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Purchasing 914 V8...opinions?
Andyrew
post Feb 25 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #21

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I have to dissagree with most of you..

It all depends on what he wants with the car..

If he doesnt have to have mind blowing hp, and 200hp is just dandy for him (as it is with most people in a 2000lb 914) then an all aluminum v8 with a great powerband and good reliablility with an easy to drive nature.. Is better for HIM than a monster v8, that is really hard to drive...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Feb 25 2007, 09:41 AM
Post #22

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

The list above doesn't say how the transmission was built, except for the clutch/FW/PP. Too much power, you could end up chewing through transmissions and tires faster than you might like.

According to the above data, the brakes haven't been significantly upgraded, either.

This might be a good balance for the car, all things considered. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 25 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 623

There's something to be said for finess over brute strength.

+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 25 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #24

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

If this car is a GREAT deal than you should think of getting it. You may be able to re-sell it later and make some money if you do not like it. If you do not have extra money sitting around then you need to take a hard look at it. I had a 914 with a 283 Chevy that I ended up with it to resell. (I made money on the deal, a lot of money but that is a different story) that was a lower power V8 just the headers, a mild cam and a 4 barrel. That car was not done well. Shall we say it was not trick, not a super clean install, just a 916-glass body with a V8. With nice paint that was 27 years ago and I only bought it to resell it.

Years ago that is all it took. You need to look at the market and see what has been selling or ask the guys and know if you can get off of this car if you do not like it. The car I had was enough power but the stock brakes where no good for that power. That car was under braked. But it had dead stock 914-4 brakes. You have not said what the price is of this car?

Yes you can build a car but you will spend a lot of money and time. Get one done right that you can resell if you get bored with if or you can tweak it a little. I think Jiffy lube can change the oil on it.

Bob
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Feb 25 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #25

Graduate of Life's experiences

Member No.: 6,753
Region Association: None

Thanks for all of your opinions. Its a done deal, I have obligated myself to purchase the car. As far as brakes goes, I can get some items done but will be sure after I drive it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) You are right 200 hp in a 2300 lb car is pretty good.

I think its a good deal at $7500. Maybe not a steal but much better than most of the V8's I have seen online. Its well put together, well thought out, so if I don't like it, so what, I can sell it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) If I dont like the trans, I can have it rebuilt.

I will post photos when I gotten the seller to write that its officially off the market.

Michael
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Feb 25 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #26

Paul,
I'd be happy to get your opinion on it...and a ride...

Michael

QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Feb 25 2007, 06:31 AM) *

That motor, and the car, sound great. Don't worry about more horsepower now. If it turns out that you want that later then SBC's are cheap, so it's easy enough to add. And if that motor's been running since 1970 then it's doing as well or better than the VW motors that came in the cars, with twice the horsepower. If it's a good deal then I say get the car.

And if you get it please give me a ride sometime.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 25 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #27

Spooling.... Please wait

Scott just put his v8 up for sale for 9kOBO..

Check it out.
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Feb 25 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #28

no offense. Like a 914 so changing it with the chalon kit doesn't appeal to me.

Michael
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 25 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #29

I think it is worth every penny (@7K) if it is cleanly executed! I'm sure it will be a hell of alot of fun. I'm guessing you may want to upgrade the brakes to 911 bits and if the gearing seems a bit short....maybe have that changed as well (not too terribly expensive...considering the price you're paying). HAVE FUN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
I think its a good deal at $7500. Maybe not a steal but much better than most of the V8's I have seen online. Its well put together, well thought out, so if I don't like it, so what, I can sell it. If I dont like the trans, I can have it rebuilt.

+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 25 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #30

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(wbergtho @ Feb 25 2007, 06:23 PM) *

I think it is worth every penny (@7K) if it is cleanly executed! I'm sure it will be a hell of alot of fun. I'm guessing you may want to upgrade the brakes to 911 bits and if the gearing seems a bit short....maybe have that changed as well (not too terribly expensive...considering the price you're paying). HAVE FUN! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
I think its a good deal at $7500. Maybe not a steal but much better than most of the V8's I have seen online. Its well put together, well thought out, so if I don't like it, so what, I can sell it. If I dont like the trans, I can have it rebuilt.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I think you should still pull the Rover and give it to me though... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Feb 25 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #31

Spooling.... Please wait

I saw a sneek peak at the car, and I advised him to buy it, It looks well sorted out and very clean.

I would agree with the 911 brakes, at least the calipers, master cylander and some good pads.. 500 bucks should be about right if you put some lines in there as well.

Good luck! Hope to see another v8 buddy on this list soon.

Andrew
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 26 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #32

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

1. what is wrong with stock brakes?
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 26 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #33

burton73

Sean,

The stock 914 brakes on the V8 I had would heat up and then would not stop worth a shit. When I sold it I warned to man to look into it. If you have better brakes, GREAT. My other car at that time was a turbo 2.0 I built with an SC front end. stock 914 rear. That stopped great. That was where I was coming from as far as good brakes. I depended on the breaks on the V8 car a lot as I could not get the trans and the gears to slow me down. Maybe it would been a matter of time but< NO the breaks where not good. Fade, fade, fade you have secret pads that where not available 27 years ago? On my V8 my $.6

Regards,

Bob
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 26 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #34

When doubling HP (or alot more), one must increase the ability to stop. The first mistake most people make when increasing performance is to focus everything on the HP performance and not so much on other things you need to control the added HP (brakes being the first thing most people tend to overlook). Stock 914 brakes won't cut it in any V-8 car.
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Feb 27 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #35

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

I only ask because my stock brakes only overheat if I do continuous lapping events like DE or time trials. I have never had problems while street driving my v8 car. I speculate that stock brakes that fade during street use are already faulty. (old fluid, air, pad contamination or mal-adjusted) big brakes are nice but I dont think they are required for non-track cars. fluid upgrade, however, is required
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 27 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #36

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

The brake topic has been discussed many times. Stock brakes are fine even with a V8 under normal driving conditions with stock width and diameter tires. But when you increase the rotational mass with larger diameter tires and a larger contact patch it takes more clamping force to counter the added rotational forces. If you don't increase the tires and wheel size you will just smoke the stockers. Hence to need for the brake upgrade.

65 mph is 65 mph whether you have a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder or a V8. If you have a 4 cylinder with a passanger and a V8 without you have approximately the same weight vehicle. All things the same you should have the same car.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 27 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #37

burton73

Rick,

The V-8 that I had that I said the brakes had fade big time had Centerline wheels 8” front and 11” back with Pirelli P7s. What you say makes sense.

Thanks for the insight.

Bob Burton.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Feb 28 2007, 09:56 AM
Post #38

when you increase the rotational mass with larger diameter tires and a larger contact patch it takes more clamping force to counter the added rotational forces.

Well said Rick...
+Quote Post
michaelt55
post Mar 20 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #39

well...the purchase is complete. I now own a 914 V8.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) I should take possession by the 11th of April and will post photos and impressions then. I now own 2 black 914's, one 72 and one 73.

Anyone interested in a 73 914 with a 2056 Raby engine? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Michael (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif)
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Mar 20 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #40

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(michaelt55 @ Mar 20 2007, 04:02 PM) *

Anyone interested in a 73 914 with a 2056 Raby engine? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Yes,.. that shouldn't be a problem.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 12:23 PM