Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> another wiring question, almost there.....
buck toenges
post Mar 4 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,388
Region Association: None

O.K. the green wire that comes from the condensor on the distributor. Does it go on the positive side of the distributor? If not where?
Thanks again for your interest.
Buck
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 4 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Mar 4 2007, 10:52 AM) *

O.K. the green wire that comes from the condensor on the distributor. Does it go on the positive side of the distributor? If not where?
Thanks again for your interest.
Buck

That is the points lead, and it connects to the negative side of the coil. Hook it to the positive side and you will let the smoke out of a set of points and a condenser real fast!
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Mar 4 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #3

I am not sure what happened but I hooked up the green wire to the neg side of coil and it melted the green wire when I started up the car. Any ideas?
Buck
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 4 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #4

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

For some reason it was drawing a hell of a lot of amp's. What coil are you useing

and do you know it's good?
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 4 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #5

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

When you say that you hooked the green wire up to the negative side of the coil, did you mean the side that has a "-" marked on it? Was there another wire on this terminal? Check for voltage on that wire when the key is on.

+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Mar 4 2007, 08:38 PM
Post #6

I melted my black w purple wire also, which was also on the neg side of the coil. I had just hooked up the red power wire to the starter and the yellow wire with female spade to the starter and I turned the ignition switch and thats when the melting took place. By the way the starter did not turn over.

I bought this car about a month ago and had to put all the wiring and fuel injection system back on in the engine compartment. I know I must have something crossed over but I am lost. Could it be the wiring harness at the rear of the relay board was not put in the right pin position? What is the best way to get this checked out?

I think I am going to buy a thing-a -bob that has a push button to get juice to the starter from the battery to see if that will turn over the starter.

By the way the lights and the warning light switches work backwards. pushing the switch in makes the head lights pop up and pushing in the warning light switch makes the lights work so I guess the po had some wiring\electrical issues also.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 4 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Mar 4 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I melted my black w purple wire also, which was also on the neg side of the coil. I had just hooked up the red power wire to the starter and the yellow wire with female spade to the starter and I turned the ignition switch and thats when the melting took place. By the way the starter did not turn over.

I bought this car about a month ago and had to put all the wiring and fuel injection system back on in the engine compartment. I know I must have something crossed over but I am lost. Could it be the wiring harness at the rear of the relay board was not put in the right pin position? What is the best way to get this checked out?

I think I am going to buy a thing-a -bob that has a push button to get juice to the starter from the battery to see if that will turn over the starter.

By the way the lights and the warning light switches work backwards. pushing the switch in makes the head lights pop up and pushing in the warning light switch makes the lights work so I guess the po had some wiring\electrical issues also.

You need a good wiring diagram. Try Pelican Parts web site. Also diagrams in the Haynes manual.
Elliot
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Mar 5 2007, 11:42 AM
Post #8

Here is what I found out this morning. The cause of the melt down was a stupid one on my part by not placing the harness plug on the relay board properly.

Now the next problem is this..... I am getting a clicking sound from the relay board as I am TRYING turning over the engine. I can't get the engine to turn over. I think it has to do with the voltage regulator. How do I check the voltage regulator?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 12:51 PM