Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another wiring question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
buck toenges
O.K. the green wire that comes from the condensor on the distributor. Does it go on the positive side of the distributor? If not where?
Thanks again for your interest.
Buck
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Mar 4 2007, 10:52 AM) *

O.K. the green wire that comes from the condensor on the distributor. Does it go on the positive side of the distributor? If not where?
Thanks again for your interest.
Buck

That is the points lead, and it connects to the negative side of the coil. Hook it to the positive side and you will let the smoke out of a set of points and a condenser real fast!
buck toenges
I am not sure what happened but I hooked up the green wire to the neg side of coil and it melted the green wire when I started up the car. Any ideas?
Buck
So.Cal.914
For some reason it was drawing a hell of a lot of amp's. What coil are you useing

and do you know it's good?
John
When you say that you hooked the green wire up to the negative side of the coil, did you mean the side that has a "-" marked on it? Was there another wire on this terminal? Check for voltage on that wire when the key is on.

buck toenges
I melted my black w purple wire also, which was also on the neg side of the coil. I had just hooked up the red power wire to the starter and the yellow wire with female spade to the starter and I turned the ignition switch and thats when the melting took place. By the way the starter did not turn over.

I bought this car about a month ago and had to put all the wiring and fuel injection system back on in the engine compartment. I know I must have something crossed over but I am lost. Could it be the wiring harness at the rear of the relay board was not put in the right pin position? What is the best way to get this checked out?

I think I am going to buy a thing-a -bob that has a push button to get juice to the starter from the battery to see if that will turn over the starter.

By the way the lights and the warning light switches work backwards. pushing the switch in makes the head lights pop up and pushing in the warning light switch makes the lights work so I guess the po had some wiring\electrical issues also.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(buck toenges @ Mar 4 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I melted my black w purple wire also, which was also on the neg side of the coil. I had just hooked up the red power wire to the starter and the yellow wire with female spade to the starter and I turned the ignition switch and thats when the melting took place. By the way the starter did not turn over.

I bought this car about a month ago and had to put all the wiring and fuel injection system back on in the engine compartment. I know I must have something crossed over but I am lost. Could it be the wiring harness at the rear of the relay board was not put in the right pin position? What is the best way to get this checked out?

I think I am going to buy a thing-a -bob that has a push button to get juice to the starter from the battery to see if that will turn over the starter.

By the way the lights and the warning light switches work backwards. pushing the switch in makes the head lights pop up and pushing in the warning light switch makes the lights work so I guess the po had some wiring\electrical issues also.

You need a good wiring diagram. Try Pelican Parts web site. Also diagrams in the Haynes manual.
Elliot
buck toenges
Here is what I found out this morning. The cause of the melt down was a stupid one on my part by not placing the harness plug on the relay board properly.

Now the next problem is this..... I am getting a clicking sound from the relay board as I am TRYING turning over the engine. I can't get the engine to turn over. I think it has to do with the voltage regulator. How do I check the voltage regulator?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.