Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CV joint rebuild..., 33 vs 25 teeth shafts.. i have one of each :(
yarin
post Mar 7 2007, 08:56 PM
Post #1

'14-X'in FOOL

Group: Members
Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Hey Guys,

I got four CV rebuild kits from PMB Performance. I disassembled the old shafts and cleaned them up. When trying to assemble the new kit I found out that some putz installed another type of axle. One has 33 teeth, the other has 25 teeth. The 33 tooth one fits the PMB rebuild kits. The other obviously does not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Can someone tell me what is stock on these cars? I could really use a 33 tooth drive shaft ASAP is someone is willing to sell me one. I don't need the CVs since I have new ones ready to be installed.

Here are pics of them to help clarify: http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydig...57594576272133/

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 7 2007, 09:00 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(yarin @ Mar 7 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Hey Guys,

I got four CV rebuild kits from PMB Performance. I disassembled the old shafts and cleaned them up. When trying to assemble the new kit I found out that some putz installed another type of axle. One has 33 teeth, the other has 25 teeth. The 33 tooth one fits the PMB rebuild kits. The other obviously does not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Can someone tell me what is stock on these cars? I could really use a 33 tooth drive shaft ASAP is someone is willing to sell me one. I don't need the CVs since I have new ones ready to be installed.

Here are pics of them to help clarify: http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydig...57594576272133/

Thanks!

the one the kits won't fit is an OEM 914/6 axle. Why they did that is beyond me, but they are rare, and the six guys will buy them from you.

+Quote Post
yarin
post Mar 7 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #3

'14-X'in FOOL

Ohh.. so i guess i should be thankful for getting stuck with an odd version.

Well then.. Want to Buy or Trade...

Maybe the factory beefened up the -6 axles by decreasing # of teeth. Perhaps they were afraid of them stripping, somehow. Or perhaps when they conducted their FEA their stress analysis models told them to beef up to the 25 tooth version.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
johnlush
post Mar 7 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #4

What's all this then?

Member No.: 2,108
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

ooow, oow, I'll trade! I need a /6 axle!!!
+Quote Post
brp914
post Mar 7 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #5

Unregistered

the reason someone might have done that (and I might have also) is that at some point -6 axles went bye-bye. If you bought a complete -6 axle from porsche for your -6 they gave you a 33 spline -4 axle. I will find out soon which one I have and may be interested in your 25 spline axle. I dont think they're worth *that* much though since if you want to go to bigger cv's for big motor you can switch to -4 axles and use 944 turbo cv's.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Mar 7 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

So, does anyone know if the six axles will fit 911 cv joints and will work. I have a set of both 4 and 6 axles, and am building a 3.0 6. What are 6 axles with used cvs worth?
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 7 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #7

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I thought they still sell complete 914-6 axle shafts with CV joints.

Other than the spline count, they are interchangeable with 914-4 axle assemblies.

I have some 914-4 axle shafts (cheap, like $5.00 + shipping) if you want one. They are heavy and would cost something to ship.

Yes with some minor machining, 911 CV joints will fit 914-6 axle shafts. That is what I use in my 3.2 conversion street car. Check my BLOG.

I didn't think 914-6 axles are rare because that is all you used to be able to buy. (It looks like pelican sells 4-cyl axles??? (I bet that is wrong). )

If pelican still sells NEW 4-cyl axles, then someone still makes the CV joints. I'd bet money that they have 25 splines, and therefore the CV's won't fit standard 4-cyl axle shafts.

Good luck
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Mar 8 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 3,925

whadayano! 2 years ago, I bought 7 axle assemblies from the local Porsche dealer. Allegedly the last 7 still in Porsche possession, according to them. Their guy picked them up at the factory during a trip to Germany.

Anyway, I just looked at one, and sure enough. 25 splines!

Box says- STUECK 914 332 009 03

There you go.

Jim

Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 8 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #9

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

I have some 33 spline shafts let me know if you want one. (They are of no use to me).
+Quote Post
yarin
post Mar 9 2007, 05:07 AM
Post #10

'14-X'in FOOL

QUOTE(John @ Mar 8 2007, 11:05 PM) *

I have some 33 spline shafts let me know if you want one. (They are of no use to me).

Thanks.,.. i've got one on the way!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 01:45 AM