Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint rebuild...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Hey Guys,

I got four CV rebuild kits from PMB Performance. I disassembled the old shafts and cleaned them up. When trying to assemble the new kit I found out that some putz installed another type of axle. One has 33 teeth, the other has 25 teeth. The 33 tooth one fits the PMB rebuild kits. The other obviously does not. blink.gif

Can someone tell me what is stock on these cars? I could really use a 33 tooth drive shaft ASAP is someone is willing to sell me one. I don't need the CVs since I have new ones ready to be installed.

Here are pics of them to help clarify: http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydig...57594576272133/

Thanks!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(yarin @ Mar 7 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Hey Guys,

I got four CV rebuild kits from PMB Performance. I disassembled the old shafts and cleaned them up. When trying to assemble the new kit I found out that some putz installed another type of axle. One has 33 teeth, the other has 25 teeth. The 33 tooth one fits the PMB rebuild kits. The other obviously does not. blink.gif

Can someone tell me what is stock on these cars? I could really use a 33 tooth drive shaft ASAP is someone is willing to sell me one. I don't need the CVs since I have new ones ready to be installed.

Here are pics of them to help clarify: http://www.flickr.com/photos/infinitelydig...57594576272133/

Thanks!

the one the kits won't fit is an OEM 914/6 axle. Why they did that is beyond me, but they are rare, and the six guys will buy them from you.

yarin
Ohh.. so i guess i should be thankful for getting stuck with an odd version.

Well then.. Want to Buy or Trade...

Maybe the factory beefened up the -6 axles by decreasing # of teeth. Perhaps they were afraid of them stripping, somehow. Or perhaps when they conducted their FEA their stress analysis models told them to beef up to the 25 tooth version.

confused24.gif
johnlush
ooow, oow, I'll trade! I need a /6 axle!!!
brp914
the reason someone might have done that (and I might have also) is that at some point -6 axles went bye-bye. If you bought a complete -6 axle from porsche for your -6 they gave you a 33 spline -4 axle. I will find out soon which one I have and may be interested in your 25 spline axle. I dont think they're worth *that* much though since if you want to go to bigger cv's for big motor you can switch to -4 axles and use 944 turbo cv's.
Krieger
So, does anyone know if the six axles will fit 911 cv joints and will work. I have a set of both 4 and 6 axles, and am building a 3.0 6. What are 6 axles with used cvs worth?
John
I thought they still sell complete 914-6 axle shafts with CV joints.

Other than the spline count, they are interchangeable with 914-4 axle assemblies.

I have some 914-4 axle shafts (cheap, like $5.00 + shipping) if you want one. They are heavy and would cost something to ship.

Yes with some minor machining, 911 CV joints will fit 914-6 axle shafts. That is what I use in my 3.2 conversion street car. Check my BLOG.

I didn't think 914-6 axles are rare because that is all you used to be able to buy. (It looks like pelican sells 4-cyl axles??? (I bet that is wrong). )

If pelican still sells NEW 4-cyl axles, then someone still makes the CV joints. I'd bet money that they have 25 splines, and therefore the CV's won't fit standard 4-cyl axle shafts.

Good luck
jk76.914
whadayano! 2 years ago, I bought 7 axle assemblies from the local Porsche dealer. Allegedly the last 7 still in Porsche possession, according to them. Their guy picked them up at the factory during a trip to Germany.

Anyway, I just looked at one, and sure enough. 25 splines!

Box says- STUECK 914 332 009 03

There you go.

Jim

Click to view attachment
John
I have some 33 spline shafts let me know if you want one. (They are of no use to me).
yarin
QUOTE(John @ Mar 8 2007, 11:05 PM) *

I have some 33 spline shafts let me know if you want one. (They are of no use to me).

Thanks.,.. i've got one on the way!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.