Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Engine Oil Leaks, Engine Oil Leaks
KJJ-74-914
post Nov 28 2003, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,401

After letting my 1974 914 sit this year, I decided to pull the engine this morning to start my winter project of replacing the leaking seals. The engine is a 1.8 with 2.0 bore cylinders, euro pistons and fuel injection. The engine has 3000+- miles on it and is a great runner!! It started leaking oil 2 years ago so I decided not to drive it until I fixed the leaks.

I plan on replacing the oil cooler seals, pushrod tube seals and pressure switch. What else should I replace? Best sources?

Also, the thermostatic cooling set up has been disconnected and I'd like to repair it. This is the flapper under the cooling shroud with the cable that runs down to a cam that appears to temperature controlled. Where can I get parts for this system or am I better off leaving it disconnected?

Thanks in advance.

Kirk
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 28 2003, 04:17 PM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

Welcome to the board Kirk!

You'll get quick answers here. Maybe a bit slow this weekend due to the holiday, however.
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Nov 28 2003, 04:30 PM
Post #3

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

Might want to replace the flywheel oil seal..pretty inexpensive..if you have oil dripping from rear of the engine between the gearbox
-J
+Quote Post
KJJ-74-914
post Nov 28 2003, 06:07 PM
Post #4

While the engine was in the car it appears that most of the oil was coming from the front drivers side of the engine. What is in that area that could be leaking? I know the alternator is there but its belt drive, so what could be leaking?

This is a great forum! Why have you guys been hiding this site from me for so long???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 28 2003, 06:14 PM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(KJJ-74-914 @ Nov 28 2003, 04:07 PM)
While the engine was in the car it appears that most of the oil was coming from the front drivers side of the engine. What is in that area that could be leaking? I know the alternator is there but its belt drive, so what could be leaking?

This is a great forum! Why have you guys been hiding this site from me for so long???? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

o-ring on the oiltemp-sender plate (also called taco plate) ...

that's where mine is leaking. either through the big o-ring or the 2 10mm bolts that hold it. (don't re-use the washers!).

also, if they (the PO) removed the pulley-wheel for the "thermostatic cooling set" on that side, the bolt to hold it down goes all the way INTO the case. if not sealed right, that'll leak too ...

Andy
+Quote Post
KJJ-74-914
post Nov 29 2003, 09:05 AM
Post #6

I've been looking through my old source catalogs for parts that I need - Tweeks, Performance, Etc...Most of these suppliers don't have a good selection of 914 parts. What suppliers have good selections and hard to find parts?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Nov 29 2003, 09:19 AM
Post #7

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE(KJJ-74-914 @ Nov 29 2003, 07:05 AM)
What suppliers have good selections and hard to find parts?

Engine Builders Supply (EBS) EBS website
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 29 2003, 09:25 AM
Post #8

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

pelican, gpr. and the best for hard to find parts... the classifieds here (most folks have boxes of stuff taking up room) and at pelican. prices that will not kill the budget and chances are the part will be the correct one. avoid auto atlanta unless you enjoy returning parts, making long distance phone calls, high end shipping, and paying exorbitant restocking fees.

kevin
+Quote Post
KJJ-74-914
post Nov 30 2003, 08:22 AM
Post #9

Thanks for the link and input.

Does anyone have a source for OEM or Repro decals such as those found in the engine compartment?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th May 2024 - 03:14 PM