Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Oil Leaks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KJJ-74-914
After letting my 1974 914 sit this year, I decided to pull the engine this morning to start my winter project of replacing the leaking seals. The engine is a 1.8 with 2.0 bore cylinders, euro pistons and fuel injection. The engine has 3000+- miles on it and is a great runner!! It started leaking oil 2 years ago so I decided not to drive it until I fixed the leaks.

I plan on replacing the oil cooler seals, pushrod tube seals and pressure switch. What else should I replace? Best sources?

Also, the thermostatic cooling set up has been disconnected and I'd like to repair it. This is the flapper under the cooling shroud with the cable that runs down to a cam that appears to temperature controlled. Where can I get parts for this system or am I better off leaving it disconnected?

Thanks in advance.

Kirk
seanery
Welcome to the board Kirk!

You'll get quick answers here. Maybe a bit slow this weekend due to the holiday, however.
thesey914
Might want to replace the flywheel oil seal..pretty inexpensive..if you have oil dripping from rear of the engine between the gearbox
-J
KJJ-74-914
While the engine was in the car it appears that most of the oil was coming from the front drivers side of the engine. What is in that area that could be leaking? I know the alternator is there but its belt drive, so what could be leaking?

This is a great forum! Why have you guys been hiding this site from me for so long???? rolleyes.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(KJJ-74-914 @ Nov 28 2003, 04:07 PM)
While the engine was in the car it appears that most of the oil was coming from the front drivers side of the engine. What is in that area that could be leaking? I know the alternator is there but its belt drive, so what could be leaking?

This is a great forum! Why have you guys been hiding this site from me for so long???? rolleyes.gif

o-ring on the oiltemp-sender plate (also called taco plate) ...

that's where mine is leaking. either through the big o-ring or the 2 10mm bolts that hold it. (don't re-use the washers!).

also, if they (the PO) removed the pulley-wheel for the "thermostatic cooling set" on that side, the bolt to hold it down goes all the way INTO the case. if not sealed right, that'll leak too ...

Andy
KJJ-74-914
I've been looking through my old source catalogs for parts that I need - Tweeks, Performance, Etc...Most of these suppliers don't have a good selection of 914 parts. What suppliers have good selections and hard to find parts?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KJJ-74-914 @ Nov 29 2003, 07:05 AM)
What suppliers have good selections and hard to find parts?

Engine Builders Supply (EBS) EBS website
rhodyguy
pelican, gpr. and the best for hard to find parts... the classifieds here (most folks have boxes of stuff taking up room) and at pelican. prices that will not kill the budget and chances are the part will be the correct one. avoid auto atlanta unless you enjoy returning parts, making long distance phone calls, high end shipping, and paying exorbitant restocking fees.

kevin
KJJ-74-914
Thanks for the link and input.

Does anyone have a source for OEM or Repro decals such as those found in the engine compartment?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.