Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Think I'm in Trouble..., Can't believe I've never noticed this before
kconway
post Mar 18 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

Nomex on, going in...

I've had my car a little less then a year and have driven it about 10 miles while I tinker with "known" issues. I've pulled the dipstick several times but only in a dark garage or after I had driven the car. I only really focused on how clean the oil was. I did note the level, but again, the car was hot when checked.

Yesterday, the oil light came on...so I checked it PROPERLY and realized the level was half way up the dipstick...several inches above the second line. If the car had poor oil pressure, could a "PO" dump an additional quart or two in to get the oil light to stay off?

Okay, lemme have it...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
herman maire
post Mar 18 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 7,419

QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 18 2007, 10:03 AM) *

Nomex on, going in...

I've had my car a little less then a year and have driven it about 10 miles while I tinker with "known" issues. I've pulled the dipstick several times but only in a dark garage or after I had driven the car. I only really focused on how clean the oil was. I did note the level, but again, the car was hot when checked.

Yesterday, the oil light came on...so I checked it PROPERLY and realized the level was half way up the dipstick...several inches above the second line. If the car had poor oil pressure, could a "PO" dump an additional quart or two in to get the oil light to stay off?

Okay, lemme have it...

putting more oil in it will not change the oil pressure..... too much oil can result in other problems but increased oil pressure will not happen. You might want to check your oil pressure sensor first, oh, and get the oil at the proper level. Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wavey.gif)
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Mar 18 2007, 01:59 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

remote change it's all frothed up? That could affect the oil pressure, if it's pumping a lot of air?
+Quote Post
kconway
post Mar 18 2007, 06:19 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,231
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 18 2007, 12:59 PM) *

remote change it's all frothed up? That could affect the oil pressure, if it's pumping a lot of air?

Huh? Are you refering to the oil pressure sender? I have the extended hose on mine.
+Quote Post
davep
post Mar 18 2007, 06:25 PM
Post #5

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 18 2007, 04:19 PM) *

I have the extended hose on mine.

That is another accident waiting to happen.
+Quote Post
jk76.914
post Mar 18 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,925
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 18 2007, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 18 2007, 12:59 PM) *

Huh? Are you refering to the oil pressure sender? I have the extended hose on mine.

Should have said- there's a change the oil is all frothed up. If the oil level is too too high, it gets blended by the cam, or even the crank, I suppose, and gets frothy. Lots of air in it. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump when it pumps liquids, but not gasses.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:19 AM