Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I Think I'm in Trouble...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Nomex on, going in...

I've had my car a little less then a year and have driven it about 10 miles while I tinker with "known" issues. I've pulled the dipstick several times but only in a dark garage or after I had driven the car. I only really focused on how clean the oil was. I did note the level, but again, the car was hot when checked.

Yesterday, the oil light came on...so I checked it PROPERLY and realized the level was half way up the dipstick...several inches above the second line. If the car had poor oil pressure, could a "PO" dump an additional quart or two in to get the oil light to stay off?

Okay, lemme have it...
herman maire
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 18 2007, 10:03 AM) *

Nomex on, going in...

I've had my car a little less then a year and have driven it about 10 miles while I tinker with "known" issues. I've pulled the dipstick several times but only in a dark garage or after I had driven the car. I only really focused on how clean the oil was. I did note the level, but again, the car was hot when checked.

Yesterday, the oil light came on...so I checked it PROPERLY and realized the level was half way up the dipstick...several inches above the second line. If the car had poor oil pressure, could a "PO" dump an additional quart or two in to get the oil light to stay off?

Okay, lemme have it...

putting more oil in it will not change the oil pressure..... too much oil can result in other problems but increased oil pressure will not happen. You might want to check your oil pressure sensor first, oh, and get the oil at the proper level. Good luck wavey.gif
jk76.914
remote change it's all frothed up? That could affect the oil pressure, if it's pumping a lot of air?
kconway
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 18 2007, 12:59 PM) *

remote change it's all frothed up? That could affect the oil pressure, if it's pumping a lot of air?

Huh? Are you refering to the oil pressure sender? I have the extended hose on mine.
davep
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 18 2007, 04:19 PM) *

I have the extended hose on mine.

That is another accident waiting to happen.
jk76.914
QUOTE(kconway @ Mar 18 2007, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Mar 18 2007, 12:59 PM) *

Huh? Are you refering to the oil pressure sender? I have the extended hose on mine.

Should have said- there's a change the oil is all frothed up. If the oil level is too too high, it gets blended by the cam, or even the crank, I suppose, and gets frothy. Lots of air in it. The oil pump is a positive displacement pump when it pumps liquids, but not gasses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.