Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> $13,100 & climbing!, 73 2.0 for sale on eBay (no affiliation)
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 23 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #1

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

This is rather impressive to see a 4 fetch this kind of price. Looks really good but I thought we grew warts onto the bumpers in 74 not 73?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-PORSCH...1QQcmdZViewItem

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Mar 23 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #2

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

73 front only ,bumper warts,
to high too early IMHO, 5days to go.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 23 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 23 2007, 02:14 AM) *

73 front only ,bumper warts,
to high too early IMHO, 5days to go.

You're right, front only. Is that normal? Also, no photos of the hell hole but the door lines/gaps look good.

+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 23 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #4

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

74 they put them on the rear. Is that not olympic blue? Rare color?

Looks good, I don't mind seeing them fetch that kind of price.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Mar 23 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #5

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

I do.

Takes the fun out of driving it if parts are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
+Quote Post
racerx7
post Mar 23 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,489

It seems ever since ebay started hiding the bidders that a lot more fake bidding
is happening now.

I have been watching the prices of cellphones ever since I bricked mine.
The phone I wanted to buy was a 8125. I think brand new with no contract
is about $500. With two year contract I think $200. The 8125 I have
seen sell used/new from people (not cingular or phone store) sells right
around $250 to $300. Last week someone bid $900!!! Of course it is fake,
when you can get a brand new one for $500 and all the other ones on ebay
are selling for less than $300.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Mar 23 2007, 04:25 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146

Well, it's a lot for a 4cyl car, but to get a perfect paint job inside and outside would cost most of that amount, at least around here, not to mention all of the other bits most cars would need to look that good.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 23 2007, 05:33 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=134781

Looks like you can skip the auction. I spoke with the seller, he'd probably take a bit less, but not much...
I think he said it was owned by a doctor who moved from ?Arizona to FL. There's a separation in the stitching where the seat back meats the bottom bolster.
Looks like Olympic Blue; Laguna was in later years.

Them's some mondo speakers in the door panels...

Paul
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Mar 23 2007, 06:50 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,283

Yep, you can skip the auction! Seller is willing to move it for a bit less than asking price, and that is where it is going to sell, if in fact it checks out to be as represented. Too bad about the speakers, but someone will have a set of NOS or recovered ones to fix that. I have the radio to install (Blaupunkt AM/FM). Supposedly comes with it's original muffler, to get rid of that Monza exhaust...
I'll be inspecting it in about 3 hours... More to come!

PS: Olympic Blue L51P ... and supposedly factory original paint???
+Quote Post
Bogaat
post Mar 23 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,436

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Mar 23 2007, 08:50 AM) *

Yep, you can skip the auction! Seller is willing to move it for a bit less than asking price, and that is where it is going to sell, if in fact it checks out to be as represented. Too bad about the speakers, but someone will have a set of NOS or recovered ones to fix that. I have the radio to install (Blaupunkt AM/FM). Supposedly comes with it's original muffler, to get rid of that Monza exhaust...
I'll be inspecting it in about 3 hours... More to come!

It only says the color is original...not the paint. But maybe it is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Mar 23 2007, 11:16 AM
Post #11

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Mar 23 2007, 08:50 AM)

"The color is unique and original. It has been well maintained and cared for. The interior and exterior show little signs of age or use."

It only says the color is original...not the paint. But maybe it is

Good Question. Could be a bondo barge.
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Mar 23 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #12

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64

Says the "color" is original, not the paint. There is a difference.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Mar 23 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(racerx7 @ Mar 22 2007, 11:34 PM) *

It seems ever since ebay started hiding the bidders that a lot more fake bidding
is happening now.

Agree 100%. I am normally a sniper, but there was an auction the other day that I made the error of making an early bid - big mistake. I then watched as a zero items bidder submitted 13 bids to push the price of the item from $50 up to $200 (I'd bid $250). The high bid count then attracted a slew of others and I was outbid eventually - which was fine with me, because by the time the auction was done, the price for the item was higher than I am going to pay to buy it new and installed from the Porsche dealer!!!!

Of course, the moment I was outbid, the bidders became hidden from me, so I couldn't see or react to what was happening.....
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 23 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It's funny how similar our thought processes are. When he said "original color" I knew there was the possibility of a repaint. In this case, though, from remembering my conversation with the seller, I think it is original paint.

I remember in college buying and selling cars each summer, poring over ads and trying to read into the meanings. Back in those days, a totally unoptioned car would list "R&H" for "radio and heater." (haha, not just the "heaterless" 914's)

Seemed like the biggest red flag was always "immaculate." Can't tell you how many immaculate cars were at the bottom of the pile.

Hmmm, maybe today the red flag would be "absolutely no rust."

Paul
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Mar 23 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #15

"Hmmm, maybe today the red flag would be "absolutely no rust."

Paul

Well, that is always a clue that a 914 may not be as described, but in this case, it is a very appropriate description! I just got back to the desk after spending an eight hour day getting to Fort Myers, inspecting the Olympic Blue L51P 914 2.0, and fighting the homeward bound Miamian's, who, after a full week, are quite the match for most of us Porsche driver's! You haven't lived until you have beat a smoking 84 Ford Econoline to the entrance of the Sunpass Booth!!! And don't EVER make the mistake of slowing down to the recommended 25 mph to transit the said Sunpass Booth... these nut cases WILL hit you in the rear and push your a.. right thru and into the next world!!!

In any case, I survived, and am here to report that this is the finest 71K mile original 914 2.0 that I have ever had the pleasure of shifting gears in! The Seller has "Underrepresented" the car in most every respect except for the set of very good photos.

Let there be absolutely NO doubt (and I have no affiliation with the Seller in any respect), the Olympic Blue Paint on this car is "Original", as was applied at the Karmann factory. It is in very good overall condition for a 34 year old car, of any brand. I found no evidence of a repaint on any body panel. It does have three minor (to my judgment) "Nicks"... two are about 1/2 to 1" long "Breaks" in the paint on the passenger side rear fender just below the sail panel. One is obviously a ding probably from an errant car door, but it did not dent the metal, just nicked the outer paint layer. The other is also a very small circular ding that caused a small crack in the surface paint, but did not remove the paint or leave a dent. The third is a small 1" scratch on the edge of the front passenger wheel well, which removed the surface layer of paint. The paint is overall smooth and has a nice gloss, which could probably be somewhat improved by careful cleaning and waxing, but absolutely DOES NOT require a repaint of any sort. In fact, it would probably be best to just wax the paint to maintain it rather than try to bring it to any sort of "show car" finish. Bumper Tops and Chrome are all very good. Top and all weather strips are excellent (may be newer?). Lights and Turn Signal Lenses look very good...and correct for the car.

As to rust, this is as close to a "Rust Free" driven 914 as you will ever find. The fender wells, jack points, belly pans, suspension consols, firewall, etc. etc. are all very very nice and show only the most minor of surface staining. Most of this can be clearly seen in the ad photos. I could find no evidence of any rusting in the longs, or in the door jambs, or under the doors, or even in the dreaded Rear Trunk area, and this even with the original foam rubber mat still in place, which holds water like the sponge that it is. What that means is the car just was not exposed to water, in any form! Or even any serious condensation, for that matter!

The "Hell Hole" looks very good also, top and bottom. The only deterioration is, as usual, the battery tray, which has begun to give up its original paint due to battery acid. Photo attached below. However, I believe even this tray could be easily rescued with a bit of cleaning and a POR treatment, and then repainted the correct Olympic Blue, which is really a nice color for this car. The battery console appears to be untouched by the Acid Bug, and as such will not require replacement.

The other amazing item is that BOTH of the rear trunk hinges are original and have not been rewelded!!! And appear to function as new, with the original nylon rollers. A set of nice Bronze rollers would probably be a good idea tho.

Interior: Again, very very nice... Drivers Seat outside bolster has a 1" pull out in the corner seam. I would be inclined to not repair it as such, but to simply insert a small vinyl patch thru the slit, as this is not a high stress area, and would be more in keeping with the overall originality of the car. The Center Console has it's edges capped with non stock aluminum channel; obviously a home job, but not horrible... makes one wonder what is underneath, but I did not explore that far. The door panels look to be original, but have succumbed to the dreaded Stereo Worm.. both panels have BIG speakers installed. Anyone have a NOS set of 73/74 Door Panels lying about! The Stereo is nice and plays well, but... not in MY 914 2.0. Guess that is just a personal thing. At least the original speaker boxes are there and in great shape. The Leather Steering Wheel needs replaced or rebuilt, and of course, there are sources to rebuild it... as "Must Do" IMHO. And she needs a set of door seals; well to be expected; the remainder of the interior seals seem good. The outside window seals along the door tops have shrunk; replace these as well. Interestingly, the tabs at the rear of each door window look very good... I suspect someone already got a set of these from AA; they don't look quite original to me, but do the job fine. Instruments appeared to work, with exception of Temp gauge... did not see a reading on it during a fifteen minute drive. Gas Gauge may be a bit off...

Other than those relatively minor issues, the interior is top notch... pulled the carpets and not one sign of "rust bugs" anywhere! Even behind the seats are clean dry and original... The original carpet is in super nice shape, and the german square weave carpet mats on top are also a great period touch, although they really look like they would go better in a 356... frankly, I don't ever recall seeing these mats in a 914, but they just LOOK so right! Dealer Option, I suppose.

The car has a full set of Fuchs 2.0's, plus one, so the buyer gets six... can't have enough Fuchs! All in very good shape, and do not require any refinishing, except for the center caps... all need refurbished, or replace them with a set of billet caps? Hate to do that on such a very original car... guess it's time to find a good metal worker!

Front trunk has a mounted fire extinguisher, and a funky little 12V light to see by when you are changing your tires in the dark! Both home installed, but they somehow add to the uniqueness of this time capsule, and we all know that a fire extinguisher is always a good idea in a Teener. BTW, the chassis numbers on the fender tab and the data plate match the door sticker and the original Window Sticker VIN, so all appears to check out in this regard. I did not get the mirror out to check the engine number, but i would bet it matches the chassis!

Which brings me to the engine... still all original D Jet Fuel Injected!!! And... she runs great!!! Just a bit of cold start hesitancy, but warms up very quickly and runs and idles absolutely as nicely as my first 2.0 that came off the showroom floor. Great power right up to redline in every gear, and I got there in the first four, and halfway there in fifth...

And the gearbox... I have shifted more than my share of 901 boxes, and this 914 side shifter is as good as it gets. In fact, I would almost guess that the gearbox had been completely rebuilt at some recent point, but there is no evidence of such work via service records, so I just can't explain it... super smooth and the most precise box I have ever used... not a single "Snick" or "Graunch" in any gear. Just flat gets it done! Clutch also very smooth and progressive... Can't believe it's original, but again, nothing to say differently..The only service invoice is for a general redo of electrical items, including a new alternator, done at 67K miles. Some brake work also at that time... beyond that, who knows?Attached Image

The Suspension does feel like a 34 year old set of shocks... these I would definitely replace... too much "Wallow" for a 914, but after all those years, I tend to Wallow a bit myself! Brakes seem as good as most 914's... no mushiness to the peddle... a few squeaks at first, but I figured the car just hasn't been driven much.

And a last few pluses and minuses... There is a nice original Bilstein jack in the trunk; there are two 3" binders full of factory service manual copies; there are a few tools, but not a complete kit (no tow hook, etc.); there is a copy of the original Window Sticker in the back of one of the binders... Two options: Full Tinted Glass = $100.00, and Intermittent Wipers = $15.00 Full Appearance Group... Total $5,959.50... not a bad deal! I'll take two! Sold new at the Reno, NV Porsche Dealership! The original Service Record is still in the car, with the Maintenance Booklet and Dealer Listing, but no Owner's Manual. Oddly enough, a xeroxed copy of the Owner's Manual is in one of the Binders. There is a Bra in the front trunk. Some minor miscellaneous bits and pieces of spares; nothing special there.

What's it worth? Well, there are probably less than a dozen of this original condition 1973 2.0's anywhere in the country, and I suspect this one may be destined to go overseas... So, if you always wanted one of the best of the breed, now is the time to Pony Up!

+Quote Post
jwalters
post Mar 23 2007, 06:53 PM
Post #16

Sooo Close.......

Member No.: 2,068
Region Association: Europe

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) WOW! And to think - there are only 5 days left in the auction......WOW
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 23 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #17

After a description like that perhaps "impressive" was an understatement on my part (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) !

+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Mar 23 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #18

Forgot to mention... the original 2.0 muffler is in "As New" condition... The original paint is even nice!!! But you can tell it is a period piece, and NOT a new one.

It was apparently replaced when the car was very new, and all of the openings were carefully taped up with masking tape to prevent "critters" from making a home in there! It will bolt right back on and be perfect!

The current Monza exhaust has seen it's useful life... time for a decent burial in a scrap metal yard!
+Quote Post
BiG bOgGs
post Mar 23 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #19

The Bogus One

Member No.: 2,829
Region Association: South East States

I just got back to the desk after spending an eight hour day getting to Fort Myers

Next time you are in Ft. Myers, drop me a line. I am a total noob, so I would appreciate a veteran eye to show me anything I need to give attention to.

Jim
+Quote Post
73Phoenix20
post Mar 23 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #20

Be glad to! Unfortunately, due to the hassle of getting thru the Miami area traffic, we don't make the trip very often! The wife likes to shop the Naples stores, and I like all of the neat specialty car dealers up in Fort Myers...

BTW, if you have a chance tomorrow, drop by and look at the 73 914 2.0.

Just give Darryl a call at 239-337-0096. He's down south off of 41 (Cleveland) on a side street past the Target store. If he's not too busy, he would probably critique your 914 for you! Loves Porsches of every type.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 02:28 PM