Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: $13,100 & climbing!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Johny Blackstain
This is rather impressive to see a 4 fetch this kind of price. Looks really good but I thought we grew warts onto the bumpers in 74 not 73?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-PORSCH...1QQcmdZViewItem

sixnotfour
73 front only ,bumper warts,
to high too early IMHO, 5days to go.
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 23 2007, 02:14 AM) *

73 front only ,bumper warts,
to high too early IMHO, 5days to go.

You're right, front only. Is that normal? Also, no photos of the hell hole but the door lines/gaps look good.

So.Cal.914
74 they put them on the rear. Is that not olympic blue? Rare color?

Looks good, I don't mind seeing them fetch that kind of price.
bd1308
I do.

Takes the fun out of driving it if parts are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
racerx7

It seems ever since ebay started hiding the bidders that a lot more fake bidding
is happening now.

I have been watching the prices of cellphones ever since I bricked mine.
The phone I wanted to buy was a 8125. I think brand new with no contract
is about $500. With two year contract I think $200. The 8125 I have
seen sell used/new from people (not cingular or phone store) sells right
around $250 to $300. Last week someone bid $900!!! Of course it is fake,
when you can get a brand new one for $500 and all the other ones on ebay
are selling for less than $300.
sww914
Well, it's a lot for a 4cyl car, but to get a perfect paint job inside and outside would cost most of that amount, at least around here, not to mention all of the other bits most cars would need to look that good.
orthobiz
http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Details.cfm?VID=134781

Looks like you can skip the auction. I spoke with the seller, he'd probably take a bit less, but not much...
I think he said it was owned by a doctor who moved from ?Arizona to FL. There's a separation in the stitching where the seat back meats the bottom bolster.
Looks like Olympic Blue; Laguna was in later years.

Them's some mondo speakers in the door panels...

Paul
73Phoenix20
Yep, you can skip the auction! Seller is willing to move it for a bit less than asking price, and that is where it is going to sell, if in fact it checks out to be as represented. Too bad about the speakers, but someone will have a set of NOS or recovered ones to fix that. I have the radio to install (Blaupunkt AM/FM). Supposedly comes with it's original muffler, to get rid of that Monza exhaust...
I'll be inspecting it in about 3 hours... More to come!

PS: Olympic Blue L51P ... and supposedly factory original paint???
Bogaat
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Mar 23 2007, 08:50 AM) *

Yep, you can skip the auction! Seller is willing to move it for a bit less than asking price, and that is where it is going to sell, if in fact it checks out to be as represented. Too bad about the speakers, but someone will have a set of NOS or recovered ones to fix that. I have the radio to install (Blaupunkt AM/FM). Supposedly comes with it's original muffler, to get rid of that Monza exhaust...
I'll be inspecting it in about 3 hours... More to come!

It only says the color is original...not the paint. But maybe it is confused24.gif
So.Cal.914

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Mar 23 2007, 08:50 AM)

"The color is unique and original. It has been well maintained and cared for. The interior and exterior show little signs of age or use."

It only says the color is original...not the paint. But maybe it is

Good Question. Could be a bondo barge.
Porsche Rescue
Says the "color" is original, not the paint. There is a difference.
pbanders
QUOTE(racerx7 @ Mar 22 2007, 11:34 PM) *

It seems ever since ebay started hiding the bidders that a lot more fake bidding
is happening now.

Agree 100%. I am normally a sniper, but there was an auction the other day that I made the error of making an early bid - big mistake. I then watched as a zero items bidder submitted 13 bids to push the price of the item from $50 up to $200 (I'd bid $250). The high bid count then attracted a slew of others and I was outbid eventually - which was fine with me, because by the time the auction was done, the price for the item was higher than I am going to pay to buy it new and installed from the Porsche dealer!!!!

Of course, the moment I was outbid, the bidders became hidden from me, so I couldn't see or react to what was happening.....
orthobiz
It's funny how similar our thought processes are. When he said "original color" I knew there was the possibility of a repaint. In this case, though, from remembering my conversation with the seller, I think it is original paint.

I remember in college buying and selling cars each summer, poring over ads and trying to read into the meanings. Back in those days, a totally unoptioned car would list "R&H" for "radio and heater." (haha, not just the "heaterless" 914's)

Seemed like the biggest red flag was always "immaculate." Can't tell you how many immaculate cars were at the bottom of the pile.

Hmmm, maybe today the red flag would be "absolutely no rust."

Paul
73Phoenix20
"Hmmm, maybe today the red flag would be "absolutely no rust."

Paul

Well, that is always a clue that a 914 may not be as described, but in this case, it is a very appropriate description! I just got back to the desk after spending an eight hour day getting to Fort Myers, inspecting the Olympic Blue L51P 914 2.0, and fighting the homeward bound Miamian's, who, after a full week, are quite the match for most of us Porsche driver's! You haven't lived until you have beat a smoking 84 Ford Econoline to the entrance of the Sunpass Booth!!! And don't EVER make the mistake of slowing down to the recommended 25 mph to transit the said Sunpass Booth... these nut cases WILL hit you in the rear and push your a.. right thru and into the next world!!!

In any case, I survived, and am here to report that this is the finest 71K mile original 914 2.0 that I have ever had the pleasure of shifting gears in! The Seller has "Underrepresented" the car in most every respect except for the set of very good photos.

Let there be absolutely NO doubt (and I have no affiliation with the Seller in any respect), the Olympic Blue Paint on this car is "Original", as was applied at the Karmann factory. It is in very good overall condition for a 34 year old car, of any brand. I found no evidence of a repaint on any body panel. It does have three minor (to my judgment) "Nicks"... two are about 1/2 to 1" long "Breaks" in the paint on the passenger side rear fender just below the sail panel. One is obviously a ding probably from an errant car door, but it did not dent the metal, just nicked the outer paint layer. The other is also a very small circular ding that caused a small crack in the surface paint, but did not remove the paint or leave a dent. The third is a small 1" scratch on the edge of the front passenger wheel well, which removed the surface layer of paint. The paint is overall smooth and has a nice gloss, which could probably be somewhat improved by careful cleaning and waxing, but absolutely DOES NOT require a repaint of any sort. In fact, it would probably be best to just wax the paint to maintain it rather than try to bring it to any sort of "show car" finish. Bumper Tops and Chrome are all very good. Top and all weather strips are excellent (may be newer?). Lights and Turn Signal Lenses look very good...and correct for the car.

As to rust, this is as close to a "Rust Free" driven 914 as you will ever find. The fender wells, jack points, belly pans, suspension consols, firewall, etc. etc. are all very very nice and show only the most minor of surface staining. Most of this can be clearly seen in the ad photos. I could find no evidence of any rusting in the longs, or in the door jambs, or under the doors, or even in the dreaded Rear Trunk area, and this even with the original foam rubber mat still in place, which holds water like the sponge that it is. What that means is the car just was not exposed to water, in any form! Or even any serious condensation, for that matter!

The "Hell Hole" looks very good also, top and bottom. The only deterioration is, as usual, the battery tray, which has begun to give up its original paint due to battery acid. Photo attached below. However, I believe even this tray could be easily rescued with a bit of cleaning and a POR treatment, and then repainted the correct Olympic Blue, which is really a nice color for this car. The battery console appears to be untouched by the Acid Bug, and as such will not require replacement.

The other amazing item is that BOTH of the rear trunk hinges are original and have not been rewelded!!! And appear to function as new, with the original nylon rollers. A set of nice Bronze rollers would probably be a good idea tho.

Interior: Again, very very nice... Drivers Seat outside bolster has a 1" pull out in the corner seam. I would be inclined to not repair it as such, but to simply insert a small vinyl patch thru the slit, as this is not a high stress area, and would be more in keeping with the overall originality of the car. The Center Console has it's edges capped with non stock aluminum channel; obviously a home job, but not horrible... makes one wonder what is underneath, but I did not explore that far. The door panels look to be original, but have succumbed to the dreaded Stereo Worm.. both panels have BIG speakers installed. Anyone have a NOS set of 73/74 Door Panels lying about! The Stereo is nice and plays well, but... not in MY 914 2.0. Guess that is just a personal thing. At least the original speaker boxes are there and in great shape. The Leather Steering Wheel needs replaced or rebuilt, and of course, there are sources to rebuild it... as "Must Do" IMHO. And she needs a set of door seals; well to be expected; the remainder of the interior seals seem good. The outside window seals along the door tops have shrunk; replace these as well. Interestingly, the tabs at the rear of each door window look very good... I suspect someone already got a set of these from AA; they don't look quite original to me, but do the job fine. Instruments appeared to work, with exception of Temp gauge... did not see a reading on it during a fifteen minute drive. Gas Gauge may be a bit off...

Other than those relatively minor issues, the interior is top notch... pulled the carpets and not one sign of "rust bugs" anywhere! Even behind the seats are clean dry and original... The original carpet is in super nice shape, and the german square weave carpet mats on top are also a great period touch, although they really look like they would go better in a 356... frankly, I don't ever recall seeing these mats in a 914, but they just LOOK so right! Dealer Option, I suppose.

The car has a full set of Fuchs 2.0's, plus one, so the buyer gets six... can't have enough Fuchs! All in very good shape, and do not require any refinishing, except for the center caps... all need refurbished, or replace them with a set of billet caps? Hate to do that on such a very original car... guess it's time to find a good metal worker!

Front trunk has a mounted fire extinguisher, and a funky little 12V light to see by when you are changing your tires in the dark! Both home installed, but they somehow add to the uniqueness of this time capsule, and we all know that a fire extinguisher is always a good idea in a Teener. BTW, the chassis numbers on the fender tab and the data plate match the door sticker and the original Window Sticker VIN, so all appears to check out in this regard. I did not get the mirror out to check the engine number, but i would bet it matches the chassis!

Which brings me to the engine... still all original D Jet Fuel Injected!!! And... she runs great!!! Just a bit of cold start hesitancy, but warms up very quickly and runs and idles absolutely as nicely as my first 2.0 that came off the showroom floor. Great power right up to redline in every gear, and I got there in the first four, and halfway there in fifth...

And the gearbox... I have shifted more than my share of 901 boxes, and this 914 side shifter is as good as it gets. In fact, I would almost guess that the gearbox had been completely rebuilt at some recent point, but there is no evidence of such work via service records, so I just can't explain it... super smooth and the most precise box I have ever used... not a single "Snick" or "Graunch" in any gear. Just flat gets it done! Clutch also very smooth and progressive... Can't believe it's original, but again, nothing to say differently..The only service invoice is for a general redo of electrical items, including a new alternator, done at 67K miles. Some brake work also at that time... beyond that, who knows?Click to view attachment

The Suspension does feel like a 34 year old set of shocks... these I would definitely replace... too much "Wallow" for a 914, but after all those years, I tend to Wallow a bit myself! Brakes seem as good as most 914's... no mushiness to the peddle... a few squeaks at first, but I figured the car just hasn't been driven much.

And a last few pluses and minuses... There is a nice original Bilstein jack in the trunk; there are two 3" binders full of factory service manual copies; there are a few tools, but not a complete kit (no tow hook, etc.); there is a copy of the original Window Sticker in the back of one of the binders... Two options: Full Tinted Glass = $100.00, and Intermittent Wipers = $15.00 Full Appearance Group... Total $5,959.50... not a bad deal! I'll take two! Sold new at the Reno, NV Porsche Dealership! The original Service Record is still in the car, with the Maintenance Booklet and Dealer Listing, but no Owner's Manual. Oddly enough, a xeroxed copy of the Owner's Manual is in one of the Binders. There is a Bra in the front trunk. Some minor miscellaneous bits and pieces of spares; nothing special there.

What's it worth? Well, there are probably less than a dozen of this original condition 1973 2.0's anywhere in the country, and I suspect this one may be destined to go overseas... So, if you always wanted one of the best of the breed, now is the time to Pony Up!

jwalters
blink.gif WOW! And to think - there are only 5 days left in the auction......WOW
Johny Blackstain
After a description like that perhaps "impressive" was an understatement on my part blink.gif !

73Phoenix20
Forgot to mention... the original 2.0 muffler is in "As New" condition... The original paint is even nice!!! But you can tell it is a period piece, and NOT a new one.

It was apparently replaced when the car was very new, and all of the openings were carefully taped up with masking tape to prevent "critters" from making a home in there! It will bolt right back on and be perfect!

The current Monza exhaust has seen it's useful life... time for a decent burial in a scrap metal yard!
BiG bOgGs
I just got back to the desk after spending an eight hour day getting to Fort Myers

Next time you are in Ft. Myers, drop me a line. I am a total noob, so I would appreciate a veteran eye to show me anything I need to give attention to.

Jim
73Phoenix20
Be glad to! Unfortunately, due to the hassle of getting thru the Miami area traffic, we don't make the trip very often! The wife likes to shop the Naples stores, and I like all of the neat specialty car dealers up in Fort Myers...

BTW, if you have a chance tomorrow, drop by and look at the 73 914 2.0.

Just give Darryl a call at 239-337-0096. He's down south off of 41 (Cleveland) on a side street past the Target store. If he's not too busy, he would probably critique your 914 for you! Loves Porsches of every type.
orthobiz
Go Phoenix! What a write-up. OK, let me get this straight:

Michiana is in Michigan, right?
You drove 8 hrs because you were going to FL for spring break with the wife and kids, right?
You saw the car and didn't buy it, right?

Wrong?

Paul

73Phoenix20
He, He!
Yes, Michiana is Near MI and IN... It's the border area from South Bend West to Sturgis East...
No, I live in FL during the Winter! Down in the Keys... So I only had to drive about 3 hours (one way) to get over to Fort Myers... BUT...
getting thru (or around) Miami is a RPITA!!! Most of these drivers know two speeds, dead stop and flat out! And they WILL kill you!
Yes, I have not bought the Olympic Blue 2.0 (yet)... I need another 914 like I need the proverbial "Hole In The Head"... but oddly enough, the wife likes the color, so she is not necessarily opposed to said purchase...

And more to the point... comparing the photos of your new Toy to this car, I would still have to say you got the better car... Showroom New to "Gently Used", but used nevertheless. Could I make it look new again? Prolly...
Would I choose to do so? Don't think so... it is only original once, so my plan would be to only refurbish as absolutely necessary, and definitely keep the original paint... that is so killer!!!
Would it ever look as nice as yours? NO! but it would have a certain undefineable "Aging Lady" appearance that just makes me get all choked up when I see old original Porsches!
And finally, it's all YOUR fault for getting me looking at 914's again! After i sold Max, I intended to just sit back and try to enjoy my old age in peace and quiet... then you asked if I knew of any nice 914's to purchase, and here we go again!
And then there is the price... $12,600 is a bunch of cash to lay out for a car that is going to take a lot of care and feeding just to drive it to a couple of shows every summer! Butttt... Sure like that Olympic Blue! We will see!
BiG bOgGs
73Phoneix20, thanks for the info. I will call him as soon as I can.

Jim
Johny Blackstain
popcorn[1].gif 4 days left & it seems to be boiling down to a battle between bidder # 3 & bidder # 12... @ the moment, cause you never know! My gut tells me 3 & 12 are both members here but that's just my opinion. Not being a bidder & watching this one is pretty damned good TV, of sorts biggrin.gif . Sorry if I'm offending anyone, I know how it feels to be in this kind of war, heart & wallet wide open, but damned it's fun to keep tabs on when you're not bidding. Honestly I think she'll go for $13.5k, but that's just my sphincter opinion laugh.gif .

edit: when did the seller add the reserve??!! not met??!!
Johny Blackstain
I think the seller has shot himself in the foot... there is a reserve now & it has not been met @ $13.1k? I could have sworn there was none when I started this thread. This 4 is approaching 6 prices only because of it's condition & I have to wonder if our seller has gotten greedy?

BiG bOgGs
I found this same 914 listed on a local used car sales website. It was list for some where just above 15K.
orthobiz
"73Phoenix20
He, He!
Yes, Michiana is Near MI and IN... It's the border area from South Bend West to Sturgis East...
No, I live in FL during the Winter! Down in the Keys... So I only had to drive about 3 hours (one way) to get over to Fort Myers... "

Hey: Great idea: I'm in Marathon for a week beginning 3/31. Why don't you buy the car and we can tool around the Keys a bit? My kids would love it!

Paul
Crazyhippy
How much of that $$ is for the Florida dust on the lower dash pad???

BJH
73Phoenix20
Hey Paul! I will email you a phone number down here. If you get bored (not likely) or the weather turns bad, give me a call and we can meet at the Islamorada Fish Company, right behind the World Wide Sportsman Store on the bayside at MM 82 (?), and have a brewski or...? Best Grouper Fish Sandwich in the Keys! We are down here until the end of April. Maybe Big Boggs from Fort Myers can come down as well!
Won't be driving the Olympic Blue 2.0 tho... still has the original "Plastic" fuel lines... got to pull them before any serious running around with that baby! Way too nice to risk being a Weenie Roast in the Keys!!!
orthobiz
"Won't be driving the Olympic Blue 2.0 tho... still has the original "Plastic" fuel lines... got to pull them before any serious running around with that baby! Way too nice to risk being a Weenie Roast in the Keys!!!"

Sounds good, but...........
sounds like you BOUGHT that baby blue baby!
Johny Blackstain
The seller has lowered the reserve. Should not have put one on to begin with, the auction was going fine. My guess is it's $13.5k, the price I thought it would go for. I have been known however, to be wrong & not know it quite often dry.gif . popcorn[1].gif .

orthobiz
I don't see where it indicates the reserve was lowered. Did you speak to the seller or is there some indication somewhere on the auction?

Paul
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Mar 26 2007, 10:12 PM) *

I don't see where it indicates the reserve was lowered. Did you speak to the seller or is there some indication somewhere on the auction?

Paul

Right underneath "reserve not met" is a revision notice that the seller has lowered the reserve asking price.

73Phoenix20
Well, it sold, apparently. Disappeared from eBay this morning.

Anyone here get it? Just curious!
orthobiz
Lyle, Reserve not met. Go get the car and change your name to 73BabyBlue20! Lowered reserve but nobody met it???

That black car is on eBay again, it sold for 9100 several weeks ago. Used to be orange, now has a "fresh" paint job.

eBay is a funny, funny place.

Paul
Porsche Rescue
Ebay says "no longer avialable for sale". That usually means that an offer was accepted from someone outside the auction. Since the seller is a dealer and advertised it elsewhere for $15,400, I'm guessing it is sold. Maybe even to a member here.
orthobiz
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Mar 27 2007, 06:09 PM) *

Ebay says "no longer avialable for sale". That usually means that an offer was accepted from someone outside the auction. Since the seller is a dealer and advertised it elsewhere for $15,400, I'm guessing it is sold. Maybe even to a member here.

My eBay says "reserve not met." I don't see the "no longer available for sale..." Can't believe how much I can't read these eBay things!

Paul
Johny Blackstain
No idea. I was looking forward to the conclusion this evening & just found out here. Talk about a stromberg.gif ending.
73Phoenix20
Yes, I called and confirmed it was sold but not thru the auction, so the dealer canceled the listing...

I had my chance; should know by now that Opportunity only knocks once!

It sold for $14 to $14,500.00... the assistant was not exactly sure... and I would guess the buyer is the Dutchman that had been in contact with the dealer earlier...

Euro's are picking us clean! If it's nice, it's going to Europe... exchange rate is some 25% in their favor! Of course, if you are selling, it's a "Good Thing!"

Well, like Daddy always said, "Used cars are like trains; there'll be another one along tomorrow..."

No, wait, I think that had something to do with women... idea.gif
orthobiz
OK. So I first saw that car on autabuy.com.
There's a Laguna Blue 76 for sale; now the same guy has a silver /6 for sale.
Just so we have something else to look at...

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.