Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trunk pan replacement progress., I'm a first-timer. :)
jd74914
post Mar 29 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #21

Its alive

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I wouldn't use pipe with lead soldier on it. It can do bad things to your health. You want to hammer it flat so it has the greatest possible area touching the work surface.

You can get good welds with flux core, there is just a little more spatter. You really don't need MIG. Your biggest problem is the amount of rust, paint and other crap on the two pieces. Once you take that off it will be cake to weld.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CoolAirVw
post Apr 1 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,370

QUOTE(LowGT @ Mar 29 2007, 10:54 PM) *

I did buy a copper pipe yesterday, but I didn't hammer it flat, I'll try that.

Unfortunately I am using flux core right now, but I'm looking into buying the MIG conversion.

I'm also using a flux core welder right now. Welding with flux core is ugly and hard. I have a welder coming on loan that I had to buy the bottle for. We got a small bottle and it cost 130.00 here, but that doesn't include the regulator. The loaner welder has all that. I need some "EZ grind" wire also. The stuff I'm using now is hard!

Here's a link to some rust I'm repairing on my Turbo Diesel Jetta. Getting some good practice to repair 914's! Propane torch to melt tar, wire wheel and then patch in floorboard.

Jetta rust repair as practice for 914

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 05:56 AM