Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rebirth of a garage queen, Anyone ineterested?
Pat Garvey
post Apr 3 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

My 60 year old frame finally got the guts to think it was forty one again this weekend. It's suffered since!

Background: my 72 has been a basic garage queen since '75. Yeah, it was concour'ed, auto-x'd 7 rallyed until the early '80's, but has been seeing 4 white walls for most of the time since. 17 thousand miles since 1975. It's been a perfect 914 for many years. Won over 40 concours awards & 2 Parades between 1974 and 1989. Has hardly seen the light of day in 5 years, since it developed an oil leak from the #1 cylinder head gasket/seal.

I want it back!

So, first order of business is to raise it up, drain all old fuel & change all lines, gasket & seals fuel related. Last gas I put in this car was probably about $1.50/gallon. Kept the topside up OK, but the bottom has suffered from spiders & cobwebs - I saw one today that was big enough to need a flea collar? Slithered up inside one of the front struts - made me leave the underside quikly!

So, I ask in case someone is interested in watching this progress. I'll do all the fuel things, but don't have the energy to pull the motor & replace the #1 gasket - I'll have to farm that out. Let me know if anyone's interested in the progree & I'll post it.

I REALLY hate to admit this, but nearly 20 years since the last time this car was on jackstands has made me recognize that I'm not as flexible as I once was. Kills me - thought this would be a walk in the park!

The will is there - the body.....? And I work on my feet every day!
Pat
LMKII
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 3 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pat, I am turning 55 later this year and I still climb under the cars. Blair my son has to pull me out thou.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Also, more beer makes the joints more limber and hurt less! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 4 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 3 2007, 09:07 PM) *

Pat, I am turning 55 later this year and I still climb under the cars. Blair my son has to pull me out thou.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Also, more beer makes the joints more limber and hurt less! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Geoff,

Unfortunately, a few beers bloat me up enogh to lift the car if I'm under it. But your idea is sound. Cabernet should work as well, sans gas!
Pat

Attached is a first pic. Doesn't do justice to the spider webs (which are kinda scary), but does show the fasteners that have to be redone. These were all hand polished when I parked it, so I think it's time to replace them with correct finish.

By the way, the car is being gone over to replace EVERY rubber fuel line & seal, as well as all vacuum lines. I'll do these myself. It also has a small oil leak coming from the #1 cylinder (head seal), which I will farm out. I HATE oil leaks!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 5 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 116
Region Association: None

I Look forward to this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Maybe you should lay some spider traps down for a day or two (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I hate those buggers.

Also looks good under there, but I'd "ding" ya for the zip ties on the speedo and clutch cable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ferg
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Apr 5 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Lookin' good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) , but ple-e-ease don't go under your car using those infernal ratchet jack stands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (see Gints thread about his unfortunate "face-to-face" encounter w/ his 914 in the "garage").

BTW, if you plan to actually drive your car after you clean(!) it up, I'd put some grease around that clutch cable pulley. In a very feeble attempt to keep that area clean, I always kept that pulley spotless. Within the year, the cable became frayed and snapped. Since then, I've kept that clutch cable around the pulley swathed in white grease. Still good after 30 years now, and the car, as you know, does get driven.

All preaching aside, the bottom looks really, really nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Apr 5 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #6

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Very clean, please continue! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 5 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 5 2007, 10:50 AM) *

I Look forward to this thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Maybe you should lay some spider traps down for a day or two (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I hate those buggers.

Also looks good under there, but I'd "ding" ya for the zip ties on the speedo and clutch cable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Ferg

Ferg - good idea about the spider traps! You never know what kind of spider that was that just took a chucnk out of you.

Since, after the "Gint episode" I'm going shopping for some safer jackstands, it'll leave a couple of days for the spider traps to work.

As to the ties on the cables..... yeah, they aren't correct. The rear one shouldn't be there at all, but the last time I was under there the factory forward tie wasn't available. I Just like keeping things from flopping around. Gig accepted, but will try to come up with something a little closer to factory.

BTW folks, anything you see in this or the upcoming pics that you don't feel is correct, bring it up. I'm counting on this being a learning experience for everyone.
It takes a lot to hurt my feelings, because I dish out a lot & expect to take it back. Hell, it's all good natured fun anyway.
Pat
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 5 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 5 2007, 11:08 AM) *

Lookin' good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) , but ple-e-ease don't go under your car using those infernal ratchet jack stands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) (see Gints thread about his unfortunate "face-to-face" encounter w/ his 914 in the "garage").

BTW, if you plan to actually drive your car after you clean(!) it up, I'd put some grease around that clutch cable pulley. In a very feeble attempt to keep that area clean, I always kept that pulley spotless. Within the year, the cable became frayed and snapped. Since then, I've kept that clutch cable around the pulley swathed in white grease. Still good after 30 years now, and the car, as you know, does get driven.

All preaching aside, the bottom looks really, really nice (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Paul,
You are WAY to kind - the bottom is a train wreck. Look at all the corroded pieces that need to be redone! And, the rear section pic I sent doesn't show the spder colonies well. Check out the pic from under the front!

And, BTW, even though I use six jackstands, I'm replacing them with the OSHA type before I go under. Weather got crappy & cold again yesterday (snow today!) so I bought some time. Yes, I WILL be driving the car after this - it's time.
Pat

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 10 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #9

As of this writing, it's still 43 degrees in the garage - too cold for old hands! And, I just blew out a knee, which ain't going to help!

We'll "git 'er done" though - just might take a little longer. Parts are all in place & ready to go in.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 11 2007, 09:58 AM
Post #10

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

Pat, what are the 2 pairs of bolts in the trunk for?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 11 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #11

914 Guru

Better hope you didn't have a momma spider lay eggs...

I took these pics from another site. The car is a squareback, and momma laid her eggs in a rust hole

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Apr 11 2007, 11:43 AM
Post #12

914 Guru

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Yikes!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SGB
post Apr 17 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #13

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 11 2007, 10:58 AM) *

Good question. Whatcha got bolted in there Pat, an extra engine?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Apr 17 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #14

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 5 2007, 04:43 PM) *

BTW folks, anything you see in this or the upcoming pics that you don't feel is correct, bring it up.

i've got one thing. those tires (well, at least in the closeup of the rear) look like they have been on there for decades ...

i'd highly recommend to get a set of new tires before you take her out for a spin!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
John
post Apr 17 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #15

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Nevermind. (I see you are getting rid of those jackstands)
+Quote Post
Jasfsmith
post Apr 17 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,882

QUOTE(SGB @ Apr 17 2007, 09:51 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Apr 11 2007, 10:58 AM) *

Good question. Whatcha got bolted in there Pat, an extra engine?

An aftermarket sway bar?
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 17 2007, 09:24 PM
Post #17

Multiple responses here:

1. New jackstands ordered.

2. I HATE spiders! Jeez, you're scaring the crap out of me.

3. The bolts in the front pan are leftovers from a very early H&H swaybar - long gone. Yeah, I know I should get rid of them - someday. That damned bar hung so low it collected everything. Long since replaced with a proper bar.

4. Andy - what are you talking about. Those tires are only 28 years old & have less than 5k miles on them! Amazingly, they still hold air & aren't cracked, but I'll pick up somethiing from Cocker(sp?) for these rims. I'll be putting my chromes back on with some new tires as soon as I can figure what's best for me.

Since we've been socked in with this damned nor'easter this week (5" of rain, followed by 4 inches of snow), and it's been too cold to work in the garage, Iv'e been messing with retsoring some old FI parts (spares). By Friday, we're back into the 60's & my new stands should be here. Still trying to find spider traps!
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 20 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #18

Well, the weather has become nice & I got a call that my new pin-type jackstands were in. Time to go to work. First stop, Manny, Moe & Jacks for the jackstands. I'm greeted by a 300 pound hulk with a heart tatooed ON HIS NOSE, named SCOOTER. He (nice as can be) tells me that my TRUCK stands are in - 6000 pound capacity, no less. Politely tell him I ordered 4000 pound. Shrugs, tells me this is what the sent & they're safer anyway (can't really argue with that), but when he told me they are $45 each....well, I told Scooter where he could put them & left QUICKLY.

So, warm weather, questionable jackstands, day off...I went to work anyway. Decided to keep the work to the corners & cleanup until I find some proper stands. The changeover of the fuel lines can wait another week. Time to pick a corner, shop vac out the varmints/spiders living there & start cleaning (never have been able to find spider traps - must be a regional thing)(the big ones can really fight, but the shopvac always wins). Started on the drivers' side front corner, because the light is better. Pulled the wheel off & was dismayed at the dust & corrosion of several fasteners. Actually cleaned up pretty well - did you know that spiders shit? Had to clean off 4 years of spider crap (or whatever it was) from suspension pieces. Also found a, as we call them, mud daubers nest in the fenderwell - long abandoned.

Overall, it wasn't so bad - but this is only one corner & it needs some redo help. Still have 3 more corners, 2 half bellies & an engine/trans to clean. But, not going "under" until I can trust the jackstands, though these have served me well for many years & the car is stable as can be. Got the "gints".

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
John
post Apr 21 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #19

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Nice adjustable sway bar arms.
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Apr 21 2007, 08:56 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 3 2007, 06:53 PM) *

My 60 year old frame finally got the guts to think it was forty one again this weekend. It's suffered since!

Background: my 72 has been a basic garage queen since '75. Yeah, it was concour'ed, auto-x'd 7 rallyed until the early '80's, but has been seeing 4 white walls for most of the time since. 17 thousand miles since 1975. It's been a perfect 914 for many years. Won over 40 concours awards & 2 Parades between 1974 and 1989. Has hardly seen the light of day in 5 years, since it developed an oil leak from the #1 cylinder head gasket/seal.

I want it back!

So, first order of business is to raise it up, drain all old fuel & change all lines, gasket & seals fuel related. Last gas I put in this car was probably about $1.50/gallon. Kept the topside up OK, but the bottom has suffered from spiders & cobwebs - I saw one today that was big enough to need a flea collar? Slithered up inside one of the front struts - made me leave the underside quikly!

So, I ask in case someone is interested in watching this progress. I'll do all the fuel things, but don't have the energy to pull the motor & replace the #1 gasket - I'll have to farm that out. Let me know if anyone's interested in the progree & I'll post it.

I REALLY hate to admit this, but nearly 20 years since the last time this car was on jackstands has made me recognize that I'm not as flexible as I once was. Kills me - thought this would be a walk in the park!

The will is there - the body.....? And I work on my feet every day!
Pat
LMKII

Hey there Pat..What Are the miles on your car???
And engine has never been dropped??
Thanx Rx
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 10:36 PM