Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Royal Purple
Jake Raby
post Apr 18 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Yes, we are already distributors, but we have not been at all concerned with sales yet, just getting results.

Royal Purple is still highly thought of here.. I still have it in 3 of my personal cars and one of them will continue to run it as it's been in that engine since it's conception some 130K miles ago and I want to continue to run it to see what the engine looks like at tear down time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Apr 18 2007, 06:55 PM
Post #22

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 18 2007, 08:59 AM) *

Royal Purple has finally lost it's crown after 5 years... What has proven to be more effective is only 4.50/quart! RP is still a great oil and I use it in all my cars, but will be swapping to the replacement oil at each oil change in each vehicle.

You can order Royal Purple off line at a good price, I buy it in 5 gallon buckets..

We'll be having a three part Radio Show on oils in June to share what has been found with different tests and extended run times with different oils.

Jake, Have you done dyno runs using differnt oils. I saw a test performed on another forum where dynos were done on a motor with several brands of synthetics all same weight. Mobile One sucked compared to Amsoil, Royal Purple and Redline. It was intersting to see differnce in oils in regards to hp. Being a born skeptic I wonder how much of this is just variation in dyno conditions, but still interesting. I'll try to find it and post to see if you have similar results.

I'm using Amsoil and it seems to work very well with my six on the track. My motor runs incredibly cool on track. I havent been able to get it over 180 degrees with Amsoil and my new cooler.
+Quote Post
craig downs
post Apr 18 2007, 07:52 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 5,189
Region Association: Southern California

[quote name='Jake Raby'

All we ask for is support.

NO ONE else in the aircooled industry does this, NO ONE. They don't care.
[/quote]

I'll be happy to support you guys. Thanks for all your hard work and sharing it
+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Apr 18 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #24

Cylinder Guru

Member No.: 49

I've been stocking the Brad Penn oil for quite some time. Sure, you can get is for $3/qt, but that's even less than what Jake or I pay for it with the small time volume we have. I sell it for $4.50/qt, actual shipping (not a cheap price then rediculous shipping and handling). Trust me, i'll never recoup the cost of testing all these oils, I just want to make sure my customers know as much as they can and make an informed decision on which oil to use. That said, Brad Penn is a well kept secret. I've been running the 20w50 for warmer weather and the 0w30 for winter, since I drive my 911 in the cold (and snow). Not that the 0w30 is thick enough for use in every engine, but it just goes to say it's damn good stuff when it has a HTHS vis higher than M1 0w40 in a 0w30 grade. The 20w50 has a HTHS vis higher than even Amsoil. (High Temperature High Shear is tested at 150C and is a very good measure of the strength of the oil film protecting your engine).
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Apr 18 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #25

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

20-50 Brad Penn for warm weather in a TIV?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 18 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

[/quote]

Jake, Have you done dyno runs using differnt oils. I saw a test performed on another forum where dynos were done on a motor with several brands of synthetics all same weight. Mobile One sucked compared to Amsoil, Royal Purple and Redline. It was intersting to see differnce in oils in regards to hp. Being a born skeptic I wonder how much of this is just variation in dyno conditions, but still interesting. I'll try to find it and post to see if you have similar results.

I'm using Amsoil and it seems to work very well with my six on the track. My motor runs incredibly cool on track. I havent been able to get it over 180 degrees with Amsoil and my new cooler.
[/quote]

Of course, some dynos have variables, thats why I invested in the new lab and removed all user error with the implementation of digital controls and data acquisition sampling rates that don't allow for much less than perfect results. Even my old dyno was very accurate, I ran it so much (and still do) that I can feel the differences in an engine, or an engine oil or a tuning change right in the controls, the way the engine sounds and the way it even smells!

The new lab removes guesswork and provides a solid platform with temperature control of the fan and air intake charges easily.

To date we have not done very much testing of oils for HP at all, every time I ran a test like that I didn't see any differences, AND the oil is very expensive to purchase. The oil companies generally will not give guys like us a discount because they do NOT WANT the tests to be ran, else the secrets are compromised. The only exception to this rukle is the guys at Brad penn, Charles wrote them with some results and a week later a pallet of all flavors of Brad Penn showed up on my loading dock for evaluation and use in our F production engine as well as the "Blow it up!" build.

That being said, Charles will be coming down in mid summer for a round of HP and oil temp testing between our favorite brands of oil in the new lab... This will consist of both power pulls at different temps with different oils, but will also consist of literally baking oils on the dyno for extended periods of time at extreme oil temps (250-300F sustained) and then comparing the pre and post analysis samples as well as matching that to the data logs to find trends. My resident Engineer will be here from the UK for that bit of testing, thank goodness!

I will say that on my 3,450 mile trip last year, as soon as we dropped out test oil #3 and put in Royal Purple ( on the side of I80 in Nebraska) there was an immediate difference in the engine's smoothness. It was noted immediately by me and my back seat Engineer who looked at me in the rear view in total amazement and asaid "feel that?".... I replied "I told you so"....

Nobody ever believes us..........
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Apr 18 2007, 11:50 PM
Post #27

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 18 2007, 09:30 PM) *

No body ever believes us..........

So, as a certified non believer, do I order from you or Charles? I need some in the next week. Also, what's the deal on the "start up" oil?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 19 2007, 08:54 AM
Post #28

Engine Surgeon

The break in oil is still being tested for effectiveness... we have ran some in our cam/lifter spin device but have not had the opportunity to actually study the effects it has on the components.

I do not have any oil in stock to sell at the present, all the oil we have here currently is for test purposes and not to be sold. Talk to Charles, he may be able to hook you up, thanks for the support!

BTW- The engine for "Blow it up" is on the dyno today, it'll be breaking in with Brad Penn oil, then getting a swap to some "Brad penn Nitro 70 weight" because this baby has enormous running clearances!
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Apr 19 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 1,507

Oil weights can make significant increases / decreases in power. NHRA pro stock guys are running something under 5 weight oil. Last years Daytona 500 had a car running 5 weight. All in the effort to get more power.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 19 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #30

Engine Surgeon

I have some zero/10 wt oil. Yes they can make huge power differences, IF the engine is built for it...

Loosely built engines like thicker oil, tighter engines like thinner oil...

Its all in the combo and oil weight is another part of that combo....
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Apr 19 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #31

You're right. But I was talking straight 5 weight (or less)....
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 19 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #32

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

So how about a little infor on Brad Penn.

Is it pour dino or what?

Where is it made?

How is it different?

And lastly, why is it called Brad Penn? Who is Brad Penn?

OK I'll Google it now...
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 19 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #33

****************************************************************************************************

"The Lubricants and Specialty Products Division of American Refining Group, Inc. is ISO 9001:2000 Certified. We have a state-of-the-art blending and packaging facility for high-speed production of engine oils, gear/transmission oils, hydraulic oils and other specialty lubricant products. We package and distribute our own line of lubricant products under the BRAD PENN® name. "

Answered my own questions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Apr 19 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #34

I'm learning so much...

In 1997, American Refining Group, Inc. (ARG), a privately held energy company headquartered in Philadelphia, PA, purchased the Kendall/Amalie refinery located in Bradford, PA, from Witco Corporation. As a result of the sale by Witco, of the Kendall® and Amalie® brands to a third party, a new name was given to the products produced at the site: Brad Penn® Premium Pennsylvania Grade Lubricants. Founded in 1881 at the height of the domestic oil boom, the Bradford refinery is the only refinery processing 100% Pennsylvania Grade crude oil. It is also the oldest continuously operated lube oil refinery in the world. Due to the consistency of our feedstocks, the quality of our products can be traced from the wellhead to the finished packaged product. ARG's refinery and blending and packaging operations are ISO 9001:2000 certified. The Bradford refinery was the first in the United States to carry the ISO 9002 certification.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 19 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #35

Engine Surgeon

Who cares wghat it is, or where it comes from, or who makes it!

It's the best thing we have seen yet!

The more research I do the more we find out abiout who is using it.. The VW Paradise boys use it in their dragster and it doubled the life of their rod bearings- thats the worlds fastst VW powered dragster.. Muffler Mike, Marty Staggs and many of the other big VW names also use the stuff in their drag engines for the same reason... It's also highly regarded by Alcohol and Nitro drag racers because the oil doesn't mix with nitro or alcohol, the odd fuels just sepatare fro the oil and can be drained off for further use of the oil!

You'll be able to hear all about it from a Brad Penn rep on the 4th Dimension Radio show soon....
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Apr 19 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #36

Looking at Charles' site, I was surprised to see no results for the Brad Penn stuff. Below it stated that the test came back below the MSDS specs. I would wonder if the testing by LN, the manufacturer, or the oil is at fault for that? Something must be wrong....

I've never seen the Brad Penn oil at the drags. With Nitro motors, the oil is contaminated pretty fast. Nitro kills oil. Alcohol isn't too nice to it either. Seems surprising that Nitro doesn't effect it.
+Quote Post
cnavarro
post Apr 19 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #37

Cylinder Guru

Member No.: 49

I've learned that the oil testing can be way off. The levels we got results back for say Swepco, was about half what the manufacturer's minimum specs are. It's a matter of retesting, testing again, and once more, with different labs. Eventually I will have enough data points between Staveley, Blackstone, and Butler to have my wife do a statistical analysis and come up with "corrected figures" that are comparable to one another. Until then, it's more or less trending....

Same thing happened with Redline and Brad Penn - I was able to speak with their chemists directly and they told me the actual min levels with Redline, Brad Penn, and Swepco, since all three called me and offered the info straight up - no twisting of the arm required. I have about double the oils tested from what is listed on the site - I haven't finished updating the excel file, but once I have time, I might just post the excel file for everyone to download.

There are other #'s not shared or even tested for. I was very impressed to see that Brad Penn had done the ASTM D test for determining the HTHS vis. @ 150C. Most companies don't share that number or even test for it, since it's really a European ACEA requirement of the A1, A3, A5 sequences. I am updating the table also to add flashpoint and the HTHS # if I can get it, and TBN.
+Quote Post
crash914
post Apr 19 2007, 05:55 PM
Post #38

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Once again. THANK YOU GUYS for all your dedication and efforts.

We all wait to hear what works the best and helps our motors last longer.

This is great stuff...keep up the work

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TYPE IV STORE!!!

Look at all they have done,

Nickies,
Spin tron
oil
headers
heads
combos
the list goes on and on...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 19 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #39

Engine Surgeon

Thanks!!!!

We try our asses off!

You forgot about our roller cam development and Turbo research :-)
+Quote Post
crash914
post Apr 19 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #40

its a mystery to me

Member No.: 434
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I don't have a roller cam yet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I did hear from the cam doctor...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 07:03 AM