Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> remote oil cooler
tomkirkcis
post Apr 29 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,064

It's time for the front oil cooler. I am going to use a factory styule GT front bumper and valence. I expect to use a fiberglass repro of the factory oil cooler schroud. The factory cooler appears to be 19 1/2 inches long x 4" x 4" from the images of factory parts posted on the web. I can not find aftermarket coolers of the same size as the factory cooler The rx 7 cooler is longer and taller, 23 long x 5" x 2.5" Will it fit under a factory style schroud? Does anyone have pictures of an rx7 cooler install they have done?.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Martin Baker
post Apr 29 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #2

I just heard I sold my cars!

Member No.: 290
Region Association: Northern California

I was steered away from the RX7 cooler by a knowlegeable person, and it is larger that the GT shroud.

Martin
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post Apr 29 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 7,435
Region Association: None

The RX7 cooler is a very good quality piece, but the inlet and outlet fittings are too small. if you cut them off and aluminum weld on proper fittings you must still have the cooler cleaned for metal particles...

With this modification it is a very nice alternative to other more expensive coolers...although the supply of new units is now a challenge....at least up here in Canada.

There is enough cooling here for a racing six....maybe too cool for the average street four cyl...

+Quote Post
yarin
post Apr 30 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #4

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

I have a stock rX7 cooler that I don't need. PM me if interested.
+Quote Post
race914
post Apr 30 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #5

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

The Fluidyne 30618 is close in dimensions: 21" x 5 7/8" x 3"

(IMG:http://www.fluidyne.com/images/pg4d.gif)

+Quote Post
tomkirkcis
post Apr 30 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 29 2007, 10:49 PM) *

The RX7 cooler is a very good quality piece, but the inlet and outlet fittings are too small. if you cut them off and aluminum weld on proper fittings you must still have the cooler cleaned for metal particles...

With this modification it is a very nice alternative to other more expensive coolers...although the supply of new units is now a challenge....at least up here in Canada.

There is enough cooling here for a racing six....maybe too cool for the average street four cyl...

Have you tried to install this type of cooler in a factory gt shroud. Does it fit? If not is it the length or the height that is the limiting factor? I have a hot 3.2 so all the cooling is welcome.
+Quote Post
tomkirkcis
post Apr 30 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(race914 @ Apr 30 2007, 10:25 AM) *

The Fluidyne 30618 is close in dimensions: 21" x 5 7/8" x 3"

(IMG:http://www.fluidyne.com/images/pg4d.gif)

Are you running this cooler?. It is almost 2 inches taller and 2 inches longer than a factory gt cooler. Do you know if it fits in the factory schroud? Patrick Motor sport sells a cooler they saw is custom made for them by setrab for a 914gt which is 21 1/2 x 4 1/4. This may be the largest that fits the factory schroud

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...cat2=&cat3=
+Quote Post
woobn8r
post May 1 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 7,435

QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Apr 30 2007, 09:47 PM) *

Have you tried to install this type of cooler in a factory gt shroud. Does it fit? If not is it the length or the height that is the limiting factor? I have a hot 3.2 so all the cooling is welcome.

I used an Rx7 cooler in my '69 911S 3.2 with great success....but I had modified the 911 front pan to accept it....My 914 looks quite different...but I plan on using another Rx7 cooler for it too....just haven't got there yet.

I probably will not use the traditional GT type shroud and will make my own....I'm pretty sure the GT shroud will not fit without so many mods you would have been better off starting from scratch with a diferent concept.....
+Quote Post
nein14
post May 2 2007, 07:44 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 262

QUOTE(woobn8r @ May 1 2007, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Apr 30 2007, 09:47 PM) *

I have a brand new never used RX-7 Oil cooler and a GT fiberglass shroud that has been modified to accept the RX-7 cooler. The GT shroud was widened in the middle and one of the holes on the side has been close and moved to the top of the shroud to match the Mazda cooler and fits in the front trunk perfectly.. I am thinking about selling the cooler and shroud together. If anyone is interested PM or email me nein11@msn.com

I used an Rx7 cooler in my '69 911S 3.2 with great success....but I had modified the 911 front pan to accept it....My 914 looks quite different...but I plan on using another Rx7 cooler for it too....just haven't got there yet.

I probably will not use the traditional GT type shroud and will make my own....I'm pretty sure the GT shroud will not fit without so many mods you would have been better off starting from scratch with a diferent concept.....

+Quote Post
dekman
post May 9 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,274

I have a junkyard($15) RX-7 cooler and used existing fittings with AN/ss lines without problems....runs 190-210max. It cools a 3.0L (9.8:1 cosworths)w/ 46 webers. Very pleased with the Mazda cooler! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post May 10 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2,922

Is there more than one shroud option, that you can buy? Maybe one that works with out cutting your front trunk floor out?

My old '75 bumper had the oil cooler mounted in it, has anyone done that? Maybe with the big imsa bumper?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post May 10 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

I've used many mazda RX4 coolers, that fit right into the GT shroud. problem is that they are NLA, and any dealer with NOS will get close to $900.00 for it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
The RX 7 is larger, and cools better...but does not fit w/o mods.
Patricks Motor Sports has a spec cooler made in Sweden, and sells them for approx $450.00
I've installed 3 of these units this year in customer cars , and one in my 2.0 CI car with good results.
They fit right into the GT shroud.
My .02 cents
Marty
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ninepfourteen
post May 17 2007, 05:00 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,820

QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Apr 29 2007, 09:55 PM) *

It's time for the front oil cooler. I am going to use a factory styule GT front bumper and valence. I expect to use a fiberglass repro of the factory oil cooler schroud. The factory cooler appears to be 19 1/2 inches long x 4" x 4" from the images of factory parts posted on the web. I can not find aftermarket coolers of the same size as the factory cooler The rx 7 cooler is longer and taller, 23 long x 5" x 2.5" Will it fit under a factory style schroud? Does anyone have pictures of an rx7 cooler install they have done?.

I have a complete front to back system with a Fluidyne, all the SS hoses and adapter that I removed from my car when it was a four cylinder. All you need is to mount the cooler and run the hoses through the passenger rocker.

PM if interested.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 08:26 PM