Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: remote oil cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
tomkirkcis
It's time for the front oil cooler. I am going to use a factory styule GT front bumper and valence. I expect to use a fiberglass repro of the factory oil cooler schroud. The factory cooler appears to be 19 1/2 inches long x 4" x 4" from the images of factory parts posted on the web. I can not find aftermarket coolers of the same size as the factory cooler The rx 7 cooler is longer and taller, 23 long x 5" x 2.5" Will it fit under a factory style schroud? Does anyone have pictures of an rx7 cooler install they have done?.
Martin Baker
I was steered away from the RX7 cooler by a knowlegeable person, and it is larger that the GT shroud.

Martin
woobn8r
The RX7 cooler is a very good quality piece, but the inlet and outlet fittings are too small. if you cut them off and aluminum weld on proper fittings you must still have the cooler cleaned for metal particles...

With this modification it is a very nice alternative to other more expensive coolers...although the supply of new units is now a challenge....at least up here in Canada.

There is enough cooling here for a racing six....maybe too cool for the average street four cyl...

yarin
I have a stock rX7 cooler that I don't need. PM me if interested.
race914
The Fluidyne 30618 is close in dimensions: 21" x 5 7/8" x 3"

IPB Image

tomkirkcis
QUOTE(woobn8r @ Apr 29 2007, 10:49 PM) *

The RX7 cooler is a very good quality piece, but the inlet and outlet fittings are too small. if you cut them off and aluminum weld on proper fittings you must still have the cooler cleaned for metal particles...

With this modification it is a very nice alternative to other more expensive coolers...although the supply of new units is now a challenge....at least up here in Canada.

There is enough cooling here for a racing six....maybe too cool for the average street four cyl...

Have you tried to install this type of cooler in a factory gt shroud. Does it fit? If not is it the length or the height that is the limiting factor? I have a hot 3.2 so all the cooling is welcome.
tomkirkcis
QUOTE(race914 @ Apr 30 2007, 10:25 AM) *

The Fluidyne 30618 is close in dimensions: 21" x 5 7/8" x 3"

IPB Image

Are you running this cooler?. It is almost 2 inches taller and 2 inches longer than a factory gt cooler. Do you know if it fits in the factory schroud? Patrick Motor sport sells a cooler they saw is custom made for them by setrab for a 914gt which is 21 1/2 x 4 1/4. This may be the largest that fits the factory schroud

http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...cat2=&cat3=
woobn8r
QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Apr 30 2007, 09:47 PM) *

Have you tried to install this type of cooler in a factory gt shroud. Does it fit? If not is it the length or the height that is the limiting factor? I have a hot 3.2 so all the cooling is welcome.

I used an Rx7 cooler in my '69 911S 3.2 with great success....but I had modified the 911 front pan to accept it....My 914 looks quite different...but I plan on using another Rx7 cooler for it too....just haven't got there yet.

I probably will not use the traditional GT type shroud and will make my own....I'm pretty sure the GT shroud will not fit without so many mods you would have been better off starting from scratch with a diferent concept.....
nein14
QUOTE(woobn8r @ May 1 2007, 06:03 AM) *

QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Apr 30 2007, 09:47 PM) *

I have a brand new never used RX-7 Oil cooler and a GT fiberglass shroud that has been modified to accept the RX-7 cooler. The GT shroud was widened in the middle and one of the holes on the side has been close and moved to the top of the shroud to match the Mazda cooler and fits in the front trunk perfectly.. I am thinking about selling the cooler and shroud together. If anyone is interested PM or email me nein11@msn.com

I used an Rx7 cooler in my '69 911S 3.2 with great success....but I had modified the 911 front pan to accept it....My 914 looks quite different...but I plan on using another Rx7 cooler for it too....just haven't got there yet.

I probably will not use the traditional GT type shroud and will make my own....I'm pretty sure the GT shroud will not fit without so many mods you would have been better off starting from scratch with a diferent concept.....

dekman
I have a junkyard($15) RX-7 cooler and used existing fittings with AN/ss lines without problems....runs 190-210max. It cools a 3.0L (9.8:1 cosworths)w/ 46 webers. Very pleased with the Mazda cooler! clap56.gif
Justinp71
Is there more than one shroud option, that you can buy? Maybe one that works with out cutting your front trunk floor out?

My old '75 bumper had the oil cooler mounted in it, has anyone done that? Maybe with the big imsa bumper?
Maltese Falcon
I've used many mazda RX4 coolers, that fit right into the GT shroud. problem is that they are NLA, and any dealer with NOS will get close to $900.00 for it sad.gif
The RX 7 is larger, and cools better...but does not fit w/o mods.
Patricks Motor Sports has a spec cooler made in Sweden, and sells them for approx $450.00
I've installed 3 of these units this year in customer cars , and one in my 2.0 CI car with good results.
They fit right into the GT shroud.
My .02 cents
Marty
ninepfourteen
QUOTE(tomkirkcis @ Apr 29 2007, 09:55 PM) *

It's time for the front oil cooler. I am going to use a factory styule GT front bumper and valence. I expect to use a fiberglass repro of the factory oil cooler schroud. The factory cooler appears to be 19 1/2 inches long x 4" x 4" from the images of factory parts posted on the web. I can not find aftermarket coolers of the same size as the factory cooler The rx 7 cooler is longer and taller, 23 long x 5" x 2.5" Will it fit under a factory style schroud? Does anyone have pictures of an rx7 cooler install they have done?.

I have a complete front to back system with a Fluidyne, all the SS hoses and adapter that I removed from my car when it was a four cylinder. All you need is to mount the cooler and run the hoses through the passenger rocker.

PM if interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.