Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OK, I May Be Dreaming Again - 986/996 Engine, with 986 5 or 6 speed trans
rhodyguy
post May 8 2007, 09:54 AM
Post #21

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Group: Members
Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

after reading bruce anderson's write up in the june excellence tech notes regarding the potential probs with the 986 and the 996, i doubt i would even purchase a boxster, let alone stick an engine out of one in a 914.

k
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 8 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 8 2007, 08:54 AM) *

after reading bruce anderson's write up in the june excellence tech notes regarding the potential probs with the 986 and the 996, i doubt i would even purchase a boxster, let alone stick an engine out of one in a 914.

k

A fair comment, maybe, but it's kinda like saying you wouldn't buy a Carrera 3.2 because it could develop premature valve-guide wear, or a 911 SC because the studs might fail, or a 993 because a SAI failure could force you into a top-end rebuild, or any 1974-77 2.7 because the studs could pull out.

Or a 914 because it *might* get rusty... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Funny how different people read the same thing differently. I've gotten other responses from readers saying they feel a lot better about buying a 986 or 996 -- even though we laid out the ugly possibilities.

Me? I took a gamble 2.5 years ago on a 60,000-mile 986 2.5. It's got 97,000 miles now and, while I've had some niggles (MAF and coolant tank), it's been a great car and a really, really fun one. Could it blow up tomorrow? Yes, I suppose it could, but then I guess life does involve risk...

pete
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post May 8 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #23

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

any rear engine oil leaks pete? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) when craig (camp914) told me about the failure of one of the items for the power top on his boxster and the resulting $$$ associated with that. it alone was enough.

k
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 8 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 8 2007, 10:55 AM) *

any rear engine oil leaks pete? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) when craig (camp914) told me about the failure of one of the items for the power top on his boxster and the resulting $$$ associated with that. it alone was enough.

k

Nope. Car had one at ca. 29,000 miles or so, IIRC, then never again. There's a little weepage here and there by the cylinder heads (had it when I got it, has not gotten worse), but show me a Porsche that doesn't leak... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Top problems are a scary idea, as are any potential repair on these cars... What year was Craig's 986? The early cars were a work in progress on this front, with the top continuously improving from 1997-98 and then again in 1999 and then finally stabilizing and getting pretty good by 2000-2001. Not to say perfect, though....

Anyway, now we're getting off point. Let's get back to 986 engines, and I'll say that, despite their flaws, they are wonderful engines. If a 2.5 was a (really) easy swap into the 914 chassis, I would seriously consider it. 201 hp, fantastic sounds, 901-friendly torqueband, 986 transmission possibities... the list goes on.

But it's not. And another downside: losing the front trunk and maybe more, as (just about) always with water-cooler conversions...

pete
+Quote Post
seanery
post May 8 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #25

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

you know, when I started this thread, I hoped that there would have been some real world solutions since the last thread I started regarding this same topic about 3 years ago. It seems that it's really very tough or just not worth it to attempt the conversion for most of us. I really wish I had the time and the fab skills to engineer it myself, because I think it would be a blast to drive, and to show, too. But, alas, I don't, and it seems like even if I found a shop willing to take it on, it's gonna be a lot more time and a ton more moolah than a simple aircooled 6 conversion.

Well, maybe in another three years I'll bring it up again and we'll see where we are then. Or maybe I'll buy a used Cayman then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post May 8 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(seanery @ May 8 2007, 12:51 PM) *

you know, when I started this thread, I hoped that there would have been some real world solutions since the last thread I started regarding this same topic about 3 years ago. It seems that it's really very tough or just not worth it to attempt the conversion for most of us. I really wish I had the time and the fab skills to engineer it myself, because I think it would be a blast to drive, and to show, too. But, alas, I don't, and it seems like even if I found a shop willing to take it on, it's gonna be a lot more time and a ton more moolah than a simple aircooled 6 conversion.

Well, maybe in another three years I'll bring it up again and we'll see where we are then. Or maybe I'll buy a used Cayman then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

The only logical conclusion.

But who said logic was any fun? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

pete
+Quote Post
McMark
post May 8 2007, 09:21 PM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

even if I found a shop willing to take it on

I would.
and a ton more moolah

Yep. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 06:38 AM