Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Buying my second 914... powerplant suggestions?
k4lpcm
post May 8 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,394

Hi all,

I'm picking up a '72 1.7 this weekend. It's in good running condition, but needs some help cosmetically for the interior and such. I plan on this being a semi-project car and have some general questions about powerplant. I'm contemplating any one of the following options:

-a Jake Raby built Type IV (not sure which one yet, probably the 2316cc)
-1970-1980's era 911 engine (again, not sure exactly which one, would love a second generation 930 engine though)
-Modern 3.6L 911 or smaller boxter powerplant

I'm sure the simple choice is the Raby engine, no? I would think the older 911 wouldn't be bad either, in terms of getting it to fit and making it run for the least heartache. I've almost ruled out the modern 3.6 option as I'm sure it's a royal pain to get that thing in a 914. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong about that, though.

So I'm just looking for some input... big 4, regular 6 (or 930), or newer big 6? I'm not looking for earth shattering performance... but I'd like to at least keep up with some of the quicker asian jobs in a straight line.

Am I correct in assuming I'd be okay with the standard gearing and transaxle if I stick with a built Type IV?

Thanks guys!
-Eric
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 12:18 PM