Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> eBay 70's era 911 radio/cassette unit, OK for a 914?
swm914
post May 14 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,484
Region Association: None

I'm looking for a period correct radio for my 1974 914 and saw this on eBay. I though it was interesting because it is a neat looking radio and it has cassette as well. It was made in that time frame so the period is ok.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...0889&rd=1,1

However, I see three problems and wanted some advice. One, it may wind up going for more than I want to spend. We’ll see. I saw the same thing on a web site oldautoradio.com (any one familiar with them?) for $700. No way am I going there but their stuff seems over priced.

Two, it is described as 911 unit. I suppose dealers could've put anything into a 914 at a customer request (?) but would've this been to "high end" for a 914 in that time frame?

Three, it has a separate unit described to me as an amplifier OR something that is part of the radio reception?? I haven't determined yet if it is required for the unit to work or it is some kind of upgrade??? Anyone familiar? If the separate unit is needed, I don't know where it would go in the 914 without messing up the originality that I want to keep intact. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here..

Any suggestions or advice appreciated. Thanks
Steve

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post May 14 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

Steve,
I'm relying soley on memory here, so I can't be certain, but......that radio looks too "late" to be period correct for a 1974 MY car. My guess for era would be late '70s at best, circa '78-'79. Hopefully others will add their input.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post May 14 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #3

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

No, some 911 units won't fit easily into a 914. This is a BIG unit & you'll have trouble fitting it ina 914 dash.

I'd keep looking - plenty of stuff still out there.
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Jul 29 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #4

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

eBay- 1975 Blaupunkt Frankfurt USA... $12.95 + $5.00 s&h (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Was listed as a stock radio for a Fiat X19 & mentioned nothing in the title about being a Blaupunkt. Works & sounds great. Watched it quietly for a week & no one noticed it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swm914
post Aug 1 2007, 11:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,484
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 04:52 PM) *

eBay- 1975 Blaupunkt Frankfurt USA... $12.95 + $5.00 s&h (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Was listed as a stock radio for a Fiat X19 & mentioned nothing in the title about being a Blaupunkt. Works & sounds great. Watched it quietly for a week & no one noticed it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

great buy..let me know if ya stumble accross another one like that!! I'm still looking for something similar for my '74.
Steve
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 1 2007, 12:08 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(swm914 @ Aug 1 2007, 01:19 PM) *

great buy..let me know if ya stumble accross another one like that!! I'm still looking for something similar for my '74.
Steve

Steve- I just set up a search on "eBay Motors" & that's how I found it. Plug in a keyword such as Blaupunkt, Saphire, Becker or whatever & click it to search titles & descriptions. Once you've done that arrange them by price & go shopping.
There was no mention of Blaupunkt in the title but it was in the description & that's why it showed up in my search. Title just said "AM/FM Fiat X19 1975 Radio" & it looked like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) , but for $17.95 I took a gamble that paid off.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Aug 1 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 06:52 PM) *

I'll have to admit, I didn't think Fiat used something as nice as Blaupunkt in thier cars, though I never really got too close to Fiat's.

Nice buy - same I have in my '72.

Way to lurk on eBay too! What it's all about there. Patience & knowing when to say no.

BTW Al, nice socks in the pic!

Pat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 1 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Aug 1 2007, 10:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Jul 29 2007, 06:52 PM) *

I'll have to admit, I didn't think Fiat used something as nice as Blaupunkt in thier cars, though I never really got too close to Fiat's.

Nice buy - same I have in my '72.

Way to lurk on eBay too! What it's all about there. Patience & knowing when to say no.

BTW Al, nice socks in the pic!

Pat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

I don't think so Pat, yours is stereo & this one is mono. Still, it sounds fantastic for a 914. Seems to fill the compartment w/ a richer, warmer tone. This, of course, is w/ the engine off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . More improtantly, it matches my "incorrect" BOS.
+Quote Post
jonferns
post Aug 3 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,631

not to detract from the original purpose of this thread, but what is the correct radio for a '74? or does it depend on what the dealer did? -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Aug 3 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Aug 3 2007, 06:08 PM) *

not to detract from the original purpose of this thread, but what is the correct radio for a '74? or does it depend on what the dealer did? -JON (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Since the vast majority of 914s' came w/out a radio from the factory, the vast majority had radios installed @ the dealer. So basically anything that is period correct will do. Another way to look @ it would be whatever the dealer had @ the time. In my case, Pop tried to save money by installing the radio himself. They sold us an AM/FM stereo "Saphire" radio, made in Japan. Pop & I installed it & I pulled it 3 yrs ago when it stopped working. The original dealer invoice for the car says they sold us a Blaupunkt, not Saphire; so instead of arguing history I caved in to a historical error & got the one pictured above. It matches my paperework perfectly- AM/FM Blaupunkt, no mention of stereo. Basically look for anything that is period correct & will fit (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 10:47 AM