Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Gas Prices, Screwed over and over and over
Boycott For lower gas prices
Which of these 4 would be best for a national boycott
Shell [ 3 ] ** [6.82%]
Exxon [ 6 ] ** [13.64%]
Chevron [ 5 ] ** [11.36%]
Mobil [ 2 ] ** [4.55%]
Give it up [ 28 ] ** [63.64%]
For those in Canada
Chevron [ 5 ] ** [11.36%]
Shell [ 2 ] ** [4.55%]
Esso [ 4 ] ** [9.09%]
Petro canada [ 1 ] ** [2.27%]
Give it up [ 32 ] ** [72.73%]
Total Votes: 88
Guests cannot vote 
orange914
post May 14 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #21

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

NO GAS...On May 15th 2007

Don't pump gas on may 15th
...in April 1997, there was a 'gas out'
conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companys pockets
for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry
for at least one day.

If you agree (which I can't see why you wouldnt) ...resend this to all your
contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th'

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
N14
post May 14 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #22

Out There

Member No.: 7,119
Region Association: None

QUOTE(eric914 @ May 14 2007, 01:40 PM) *

I was about to post something political in response but thought the better of it. The D's would probably cover there ears rather that be educated anyway.

I'll add a poll
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 14 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #23

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(orange914 @ May 14 2007, 05:01 PM) *

I don't see how it makes a difference to the oil companies if they sell gas on the 14th and 16th rather than on the 15th.

They've got us right where they want us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)
+Quote Post
orange914
post May 14 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 14 2007, 02:14 PM) *

I don't see how it makes a difference to the oil companies if they sell gas on the 14th and 16th rather than on the 15th.

They've got us right where they want us. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

personally i've managed to cut consumption, thats THE best... but 3 billion will hurt their cashflow anyway. -wish i had that problem- (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
cuca914
post May 14 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #25

"Serenity now!!"

Member No.: 7,609
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 14 2007, 02:14 PM) *

Yer right. Seems we need to pick one company and do a longterm boycott to start a price war. And since we all hear about Exxon/Mobile's huge record-setting profits every quarter, I say let's start with them. Heck, I don't buy from them anyways.

The next step is to find out why we can't build more refineries - it seems to me the reason prices are so high is due to lack of refinery output, not oil shortage. That's what I hear from the media at least. Anybody hear anything in the news about fewer tankers coming to the U.S.? Nope. But everytime we hit hurricane season the price goes up.

Either that, or we could all stop bitchin' and buy oil stocks. Maybe dig our hands back into their pockets. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

just my .02
+Quote Post
eric914
post May 14 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,613
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Not buying on the 15 is not the answer. We will just fill up on the 14th or the 16th. We need to not use any gas on the 15th for this to have any effect. So what if they loose $ on the 15th. They will just see a spike in the days around the boycott as we go about our cunsumption as usual.
+Quote Post
orange914
post May 14 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #27

QUOTE(eric914 @ May 14 2007, 02:45 PM) *

Not buying on the 15 is not the answer. We will just fill up on the 14th or the 16th. We need to not use any gas on the 15th for this to have any effect. So what if they loose $ on the 15th. They will just see a spike in the days around the boycott as we go about our cunsumption as usual.

if the article is correct (i havent confirmed), but it states in 97 it dropped the price by 30 cents
+Quote Post
N14
post May 14 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #28

Out There

Yer right. Seems we need to pick one company and do a longterm boycott to start a price war. And since we all hear about Exxon/Mobile's huge record-setting profits every quarter, I say let's start with them. Heck, I don't buy from them anyways.

It's quite amazing what you can do if you get enough people moving in the right direction. I don't see the point in bitchin' about it w/o doing something about it. It could start here or somewhere else.......eventually enough is enough

Make a stand.....Throw your vote in and let's make a choice. Pass it on if we can show the people can shut down one station for a month (not just one day) then we will have been noticed and the other companies will not want to take a chance with being the next boycott victim

Turn this thing around on them and show them where the power really lies. My rant but I'm fed up.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 14 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #29

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

Umm, Snopes.com
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
N14
post May 14 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #30

Out There

QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 14 2007, 03:18 PM) *

Same thing on this poll.....right now 50% are willing to do nothing......I see this so often that people can't find it in them to do anything but complain. It effects most of us that enjoy driving but apathy in society is what rules right now.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 14 2007, 04:38 PM
Post #31

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

QUOTE(N14 @ May 14 2007, 02:27 PM) *

Same thing on this poll.....right now 50% are willing to do nothing......I see this so often that people can't find it in them to do anything but complain. It effects most of us that enjoy driving but apathy in society is what rules right now.

I don't see how not buying gas on one day is going to make a difference. You want to make a difference then either drive less, ride a bike, walk, or get a something that gets better gas milage. I have been really looking at the smart car and others along that line to use around town.
Actually I'm not ready to do that just yet, but I did park my Ram quad cab that gets 19mpg on a good day with a tail wind. I bought a 88 944na which so far gets about 25 mpg overall, plus its a Porsche (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It is a matter of supply and demand. How many people turn 16 in the USA each day? That number, X, is X more than yesterday and X less than tomorrow, they all want to drive. So the demands go up. Sure I feel we are getting screwed, but I say make gas $5 a gallon and leave it there. Its the 20 cent increase this afternoon only to see a it down a 10 cents tomorrow then back up another 15cents that afternoon that drives me nuts.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DEC
post May 14 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 5,104
Region Association: Germany

All of you guys can be happy to do not live in Germany

The gas price is much higher than in the US but
the most of people here get used to the prices.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post May 14 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #33

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion but I'll state it anyway. We as Americans have some of the cheapest gas in the world. Europe pays much more and drives much smaller vehicles.

We drive big trucks and SUV's, consume much of the worlds resources (especially per capita) and then complain about the prices. Personally, I wish gas would hit $5.00 per gallon because people would finally start buying smaller vehicles and use public transportation more. Then prices would drop because demand would drop. We have unfortunately backed ourselves in a corner.

Simply looking at the vehicles commuting to work should answer all the questions as well as most people around here have a 3-5000 sq foot house. Why? Because they can afford it not because they need it.

I'm as guilty as other Americans. The only difference is I feel we made our own bed and don't complain about it. If you want change, buy an economy car and a small home and encourage politicians to offer tax savings for those that do.

I have been in the water and wastewater business all my life. I have watched communities fight against water plant expansions. They won't agree until their water pressure drops and they can't flush. I'm sorry to say but Americans just won't budge until the water is dry and I'm afraid the same will be for gasoline

When they can't afford to pay for it, something will happen.......it's a fact.

Flame away but if we all look at our culture and life style it's tough to argue the point.....
+Quote Post
N14
post May 14 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #34

Out There

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 14 2007, 03:45 PM) *

Personally, I wish gas would hit $5.00 per gallon because people would finally start buying smaller vehicles and use public transportation more. Then prices would drop because demand would drop. We have unfortunately backed ourselves in a corner.

$5/gallon will do nothing......we pay that in Canada and prices continue to go up, people continue to buy SUV's and public transportation would have to improve 10 fold for the majority to change their ways.

I'm all for profit, don't get me wrong but noone wants to be gouged.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post May 14 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #35

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hi Guys,

Read my post on my other posts to orange914. The issue in not "Big Oil" it's much more complex. Breakdown the cost of a gallon of gas & more than half the cost of a gallon of gas is for state & federal taxes. Oil company's have to go into 3rd world county's for oil production. It's political and forign govt's. get big payoff's if you want to drill for oil in their country. How do I know this. My son in upper mgt. works for a large oil service company stationed in Dubai UAE. Foreign (crooked) govt leaders demand and get the big bucks. Oil company's have to pay if they want to drill in their oil fields then pass the cost to us the comsumers. They make a small profit with the responsibilty of expensive equipment for research & development along with the high cost of production. I could go on & on with why the cost of a gallon of gas. But, hopefully you look into the cost breakdown of a gallon of gas at the pump. It's so easy to say it's hugh profits by big oil when you look into the real cost of a gallon of gas, taxes, taxes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

The answer, consume less & drive a smaller car.

Tom
+Quote Post
orange914
post May 14 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #36

you cant tell me this boycott wont help use gasoline buyers some way, if not to just bring awareness to the fact we CAN do something about it if we all get pissed enuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)
yes consume less
+Quote Post
orange914
post May 14 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ May 14 2007, 03:45 PM) *

I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion but I'll state it anyway. We as Americans have some of the cheapest gas in the world. Europe pays much more and drives much smaller vehicles.

We drive big trucks and SUV's, consume much of the worlds resources (especially per capita) and then complain about the prices. Personally, I wish gas would hit $5.00 per gallon because people would finally start buying smaller vehicles and use public transportation more. Then prices would drop because demand would drop. We have unfortunately backed ourselves in a corner.

Simply looking at the vehicles commuting to work should answer all the questions as well as most people around here have a 3-5000 sq foot house. Why? Because they can afford it not because they need it.

I'm as guilty as other Americans. The only difference is I feel we made our own bed and don't complain about it. If you want change, buy an economy car and a small home and encourage politicians to offer tax savings for those that do.

I have been in the water and wastewater business all my life. I have watched communities fight against water plant expansions. They won't agree until their water pressure drops and they can't flush. I'm sorry to say but Americans just won't budge until the water is dry and I'm afraid the same will be for gasoline

When they can't afford to pay for it, something will happen.......it's a fact.

Flame away but if we all look at our culture and life style it's tough to argue the point.....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post May 14 2007, 05:26 PM
Post #38

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(DEC @ May 14 2007, 06:43 PM) *

The gas price is much higher than in the US but
the most of people here get used to the prices.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)

But you guys have better beer, so it all works out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post May 14 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #39

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

Here's another viewpoint on this...

Right now China and other parts of Asia have rapidly developing economies and their usage of automobiles is increasing dramatically. Their extra demand for oil has been at least partially responsible for the recent increases (last 3-5 years) in cost. Our usage has increased as well. So yes, use less gas to reduce the cost. Unfortunately, that will only work for a while.

If we use less oil, then the price world wide will be lower for everyone, meaning that Chine, et. al, will use more of it faster, meaning that prices will rise. If prices are kept high, the increase in usage may be slowed a bit. Hard to say really. Oil is a finite resource and available mostly in dangerous or uninhabitable places. Increasingly it is costing more to produce. So the price will rise as long as total usage rises.

The real answer here it seems to me is reduce oil use (by increasing efficiency) and at the same time develop alternative methods of generating and storing energy. We have got to get off oil as a primary energy source sooner than later.

-Tony

+Quote Post
cantley914
post May 14 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #40

Pipeline surgeon

Member No.: 2,210

$1.054 cnd a liter here in Ottawa, Canada.

3.85L per US gal X by exchange rate between $cnd vs $US = ±$3.45 Us/Gal

Hard to say who is to blame in the high price of gas.

1st, producers make profits.
2nd, transporters make profits.
3rd, refiners make profits,
4th, transporters (again) make profits
Finally, retailler makes profits.

If you look at the BIG picture, Government picks up income tax on everyone mentioned above PLUS government (again) charges it`s own sales tax on the fuel
and government (again) allows all of the mentioned above to make unlimited profits.
Look on the stock market reports and find out which industry pays the most dividends to its shareholders? The energy industry. Where do you think they take this money to give back to their shareholders?
Aren't we all eager to invest money and get big returns??? Where do we invest our money? Mutual funds? (Which diversifies our money in high and low risk investments) (energy and economy?) Does this make all of us investors accomplices of the high gas prices ???
I think we should put pressure on the government to regulate the energy industry before we try anything (in my opinion) foolish like not buying gas for one day !!!
Don't forget if you don't fuel up for one day, eventually you will have to fuel up sometime. So maybe the retailler won't be too busy on that particyular day but will catch up on the next day. And so wil;l all of the above mentioned in my list.

ASK ME I WORK FOR A PIPELINE COMPANY HERE IN CANADA (WHERE WE HAVE THE 2ND KNOW BIGGEST RESERVE OF OIL AND NATURAL GAS AFTER SAOUDI ARABIA)

Just my 0.02¢
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:37 PM